Shoutbox Thread

Will this temporary thread work in place of the Shoutbox?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Elders (Admins)

Can't see a photo either, Beer.

It did take me a while to figure out how to upload images in this new version of the software. I'd selected the image and it uploaded, but there wasn't an "add to post" option. I did eventually figure out that there is a "+" on the little image of the photo, and I had to click on that to add it to the post. And in this new version here, there isn't a "preview" option, so it isn't so easy to check whether the image is in the post until it's been posted.

Every time there's a significant change to any software that I use, my little grey cells get majorly exercised, but not in a good way.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

Warm and somewhat humid weather here. Forecast for tomorrow is hot; very wet; probably thunderstorms; and possibly tornadoes. Apparently, it's all to do with the jet stream which is dipping south over southern France and Spain, and pushing up northwards towards us a wodge of their hotter, more humid weather. When it gets to our slightly cooler air, there's likely to be a huge battle in the atmosphere. If it looks like it's heading my way, I'll be staying indoors.

I think I've mentioned before that we do get tornadoes here. The media calls them mini-tornadoes which the weather purists hate. They are real tornadoes, but they don't last very long, and they're usually only a few feet wide. But they can be dangerous as they're difficult to forecast and they can damage roofs and so forth, and send debris flying into unsuspecting passers-by.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Cloudy today and there's forecast for rain this weekend.

Had a day from a horror movie yesterday with my apartment complex.  The lawn maintenance people blew a very large nail through my beck bedroom screen and window, and naturally a work order was placed.  I'm just thankful the glass stopped it, but it might not have if it had been the point rather then the head of the nail.  I have been in the process of getting over side effects from a prescription drug, that I am now being weaned off of, so I have been sleeping in.  Since I sleep in the back bedroom, I can't hear anyone at my door, even if I'm awake and just laying there, and naturally this complex doesn't have doorbells.  Without the legal 24-hour notice that someone will be in my apartment for repairs, the contractor, not the maintenance man, ends up using the key and then proceeded to knock on my bedroom door.  Scared me to death, and if I had a gun I might have shot him.

I called the corporate office and an attorney that deals with tenant and landlord law.  The corporate office, obviously covering their rump roast, saying from now on they will extend to me the highest courtesy and respect.  Hey, it should go to everyone in the complex, not just to me.  The law is the law, they are to give a 24-hour notice if they are going to enter someone's apartment, their home, and if it's too much work for them, then they need to either hire someone for that purpose, or find another job themselves.  I asked the corporate lady that is in charge of this area, how she would feel if a strange man knocked on her bedroom door saying "maintenance" and wanting in.  You could have heard a pin drop in China before she was able to reply.  I quoted Oklahoma law , and told her there is no excuse for what they did, so don't try and give me one.  Plus, I told her I had just seen the heart doctor on Tuesday, and the scare could have given me a heart attack.  Gave her an extra dig of the spur.

Just because they contract with this company to fix and replace windows, doesn't mean this man or any other employee isn't a pervert, or at the least, can't be trusted.  The complex didn't know him, and if he could be trusted, and I sure don't know him.  I told her I will not tolerate a stranger having a key to my home to walk in anytime he/she so pleases.  I am going to replace the lock, and if they don't like it, they can take me to court, and my attorney will quote the law to them about the 24-hour notice while we are there.  I have no doubts that a judge would agree with the law.

I also made the statement that, when my lease is up next May, I trust I will not hear from them that they will not be renewing my lease.  I made her commit to me staying, whether I decide to stay or not.  My kids and I are talking about finding a small house somewhere.  I'm paying more for this 2-bedroom apartment then my youngest son and his wife are paying for a 3-bedroom house with a garage, front and fenced in back yard.

This is long and I apologize.  I needed to vent again.  Poor Walkabout heard about it all last night, and agrees about changing the lock.  Should I do a poll?  Oh my, what a mess.

Edited by Earthnut
wording

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Completely and utterly unacceptable. No-one, whoever they are, should have easy access to your home. And it is your home, even if you rent. In the UK it's called the right of peaceful enjoyment of the property you live in. I'm shocked that anyone could think it's appropriate to let themselves into your home without warning - and without any surety about his character. It's not only disrespectful, it's also arrogant.

Yes, change your lock. Although the rules in the UK is that if you change the lock you have hand a key to the landlord/agent, there's a good recourse for not doing that because the agent hasn't protected your safety. And any good judge in any jurisdiction would be on your side.

Libby

Completely and utterly unacceptable. No-one, whoever they are, should have easy access to your home. And it is your home, even if you rent. In the UK it's called the right of peaceful enjoyment of the property you live in. I'm shocked that anyone could think it's appropriate to let themselves into your home without warning - and without any surety about his character. It's not only disrespectful, it's also arrogant.

Yes, change your lock. Although the rules in the UK is that if you change the lock you have hand a key to the landlord/agent, there's a good recourse for not doing that because the agent hasn't protected your safety. And any good judge in any jurisdiction would be on your side.

Yes, it is "completely and utterly unacceptable," and it will not happen again.  Thank you for agreeing with me Libby.

I have decided I will do one of two things.  Put an alarm on the door to scare the crap out of anyone who opens it, or change the lock, and under the circumstances, I will probably change the lock, and not give management a key, feeling very justified, even though they are suppose to have one.  In case of an emergency, both the police and fire departments have the legal right to kick in the door.  Dah.

The apartment manager can obey the law and make arrangements 24-hours ahead of time, or we will go to court, and yes, I have no doubts that I would win since I would have the law on my side.  It's time these apartment complexes start obeying the law and start showing more respect to their tenant's homes and stop thinking that they can get away with entering anytime they so please.

The corporate office called me and said that from now on I will be given the highest common courtesy and respect they can give.  Hope this opens their eyes and changes the way they do repairs, like being legal for starters.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

B:ouro::ouro:M B:ouro::ouro:M back at ya!

I had a tooth extracted on Thursday, after it started crumbling to pieces about a week ago. Couldn't/daren't eat, so I've lost some 4 to 5 lbs, which I could do with losing, but that's not the best way!

• Like 1

Libby

• Elders (Admins)

We had a little thunder and rain last night; lots of rain this morning. It was so overcast that we had to put the lights on. It looked more like November than August. GLOOM! GLOOM!

Libby

• Elders (Admins)

Sorry to hear about your tooth Libby, I had a similar issue about 3 years ago. I was reluctant to have it removed but had an abscess that swelled up the side of my face. I have to say, the surgical team at my local hospital were brilliant, pity about the ward which was filthy dirty. The hospital is now is special measures, it doesn't surprise me why.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines