https://www.yahoo.com/travel/welcome-to-dismaland-street-artist-banksy-opens-127184455442.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Welcome to Dismaland! Street Artist Banksy Opens Bizarre Theme Park

Wonder what Walt Disney would think of this.

Graffiti artist Banksy has created Dismaland, an offbeat installation in the U.K. that is being called a “sinister twist on Disneyland.”

The “bemusement park” (as it’s being marketed) sits in an abandoned derelict waterfront location in the seaside town of Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, England.

There’s a crumbling version of Disney World’s Cinderella Castle with a twisted Little Mermaid out front, an upended rendition of Cinderella’s “pumpkin” carriage, and a decaying pinwheel, among other sculptures.

“It’s a family theme park unsuitable for children,” Banksy told the BBC.

Dismaland will also feature installations from 50 other artists including Damien Hirst, Jenny Holzer, and Jimmy Cauty.

This isn’t the first time Banksy has riffed on Walt Disney. The word “Dismaland” first appeared in 2012 in a piece of his art featuring Mickey Mouse and the words “Life isn’t always a fairytale.”

15ccf163bf5d487d2a199987e903d6ac63062143

3c35ba45af8c8f764a3899afffac6ecddf02435e

86edffa8482ee01c3e855d1719bf502b85c8d9ca

More images for Dismaland ~

https://www.google.com/search?q=dismaland+images&es_sm=93&biw=1345&bih=896&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCI2l3YbvuscCFQvUgAodDbwH8Q

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/welcome-to-dismaland-street-artist-banksy-opens-127184455442.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma More images for Dismaland ~ https://www.google.com/search?q=dismalan

• Elders (Admins)

I like the idea, but I've always liked Banksy. He makes very pointed comments about modern society.

Some people in the UK have complained about the Cinderella coach, seeing it as disrespectul to Princess Diana.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Some people in the UK have complained about the Cinderella coach, seeing it as disrespectul to Princess Diana.

It's a shame that those childish and stupid people have to associate the Cinderella coach with Princess Diana.  They have nothing to do with each other.  Diana was never "Cinder"ella, but she definitely was abused by her hubby, Ms. Boles, and the queen.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

BEER---> Living here in Orange County California, I gotta say something about this. Disneyland in Anaheim, CA is quite a place. A lot of my family and friends have worked there. It is one of the finest Capitalistic business we have here in California, let alone in the US. It's getting pricey, $100 just to go in the gate. I'd guess for a family of 4, it's about a $900 to $1,000 a day (park, tix, eat, memorabilia). That being said, I love it there and have called it many things - you know 'The Happiest Place on Earth'. But I have also called it 'Dismalland'. Go figure! Come on over to Anaheim and 'Disneyland', it's gotta be better than Bansky's place.

BELCH

Since I was raised in Encino, California, in the San Fernando Valley, I spent many a day at Disneyland, and totally agree with you, it is an awesome place to go.  The entire L A area high schools would have their all-night party at Disneyland, closed to the public, but not sure if they still do that since I have been gone for so long.  It was awesome not having to wait in lines, etc.  Obviously, I for one couldn't afford to go there now since it has gotten so expensive.  Pitiful.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines