Possible changes to board layout

• Elders (Admins)

I’ve been thinking recently about the layout of the board and have talked with Graham in broad outline about some possible changes. He agrees with that, but it’s still in the planning stage because, as I said to Graham, I think it would be helpful to get responses from Members.

I do occasionally log in with my other name (Bip) to see what the board looks like without my admin status. But, the other day, I decided to not log in at all, and see what the board looks like to guests. Of course, the Donut Hole isn’t visible to guests, because that area is private to members only.

I do feel that the Media Center could be moved to a more visible section. Guests who might initially scan the board for discussions about Millennium (and those areas are visible) might also be interested in joining in discussions about other TV shows and movies that MM fans are watching.

There’s also the “Who Cares?” section, which is primarily to do with the membership. But there’s no other place to post about significant (non-MM) people who have been influential in their field. I think an area, maybe called “The Great and the Good”, could work for that? Or perhaps “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”?

(Which is another issue – I’m not very imaginative, so coming up with snappy titles is not really my forte.)

I think it would be good to have an open off-topic area within the first visible-to-guests section of the board. Many forums have a private off-topic area and also an open off-topic area. I think it would be good if we had something similar.

For clarity, what I’m envisioning is:

“This Is Who We Are – Millennium Fan Community News, New Members and Greetings Forums”

• TIWWA Community News
  • Millennium – This Is Who We Are.net
  • The Innocents – Welcome and Hello Messages for New Members
  • Who Cares? – TIWWA Special Thoughts, Messages and Greetings
  • The Media Center
  • A place for news/obits about notable people

Anyway, that’s the general idea. What do Members think? All views are welcome – from those of us who’ve been here for ages through to those who have recently joined.

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BEER----> I do like the old "Shout Box", personally I preferred to use on a limited basis. The 'New Content' area was and is my choice of communicating. That's me, everyone has their own likes. BEL

I’ve been thinking recently about the layout of the board and have talked with Graham in broad outline about some possible changes. He agrees with that, but it’s still in the planning stage because, a

EARTH----> I'm with Mr. Belch; Dave.  New Content is the first thing I click on when I arrive, and sooooooooooooo miss the Shout Box. Libby, you could title for the news/obits about notable people

BEER----> I do like the old "Shout Box", personally I preferred to use on a limited basis. The 'New Content' area was and is my choice of communicating. That's me, everyone has their own likes.

BELCH (Dave)

• Like 2

EARTH----> I'm with Mr. Belch; :hiya:Dave.  New Content is the first thing I click on when I arrive, and sooooooooooooo miss the Shout Box.

Libby, you could title for the news/obits about notable people, "The Rich and Famous," with or without the "The."  I like the idea of separating it out from the "Who Cares?"

Everyone is into "Media" these days, and having it visible to guests would make the site more inviting, since it's showing we discuss other things besides MLM.

NUT (Darlene)

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

What about the old chatroom?...to communicate directly with each other ? it should be faster seen who is online so you could go directly to the chatroom- and use one tab to see what´s new and one for the chatroom to communicate. (if the monitor is large enough)

post-6893-0-81113500-1377438190_thumb.jp expect the unexpected

• Elders (Admins)

I also wish we could get the shoutbox back.

Simon - I think there were issues with the chatroom. I think it wasn't used much because we're all in different time zones. And I think that messages weren't being saved in the same way as in the shoutbox, after members had logged out from the chatroom, so there wasn't the same ability to scroll back to previous messages. I guess that could be remedied by members never logging out of the chatroom, but that wouldn't work if people remained logged in but were not actually at their computer.

Earthnut - I quite like the idea of the "The Rich and Famous"; or perhaps "The Rich and The Famous", because not everyone who is famous is rich, and some people are famous just for being rich.

Beer - I almost always use "New Content", which is probably why I lost sight of what the board looks like to guests.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

I also wish we could get the shoutbox back.

Simon - I think there were issues with the chatroom. I think it wasn't used much because we're all in different time zones. And I think that messages weren't being saved in the same way as in the shoutbox, after members had logged out from the chatroom, so there wasn't the same ability to scroll back to previous messages. I guess that could be remedied by members never logging out of the chatroom, but that wouldn't work if people remained logged in but were not actually at their computer.

Earthnut - I quite like the idea of the "The Rich and Famous"; or perhaps "The Rich and The Famous", because not everyone who is famous is rich, and some people are famous just for being rich.

Beer - I almost always use "New Content", which is probably why I lost sight of what the board looks like to guests.

Not being able to scroll back to previous messages isn't a problem in the Shoutbox Thread.  Thank you all for participating till something better can be created, or the problem with resources is sorted out.  Yes, the Shoutbox is difficult with so many different time zones, and why I so wish we could organize another Skype chat.  I need a new mic, so it would give me a good reason for buying one.  All we need is a volunteer to take over and get it organized that understands the workings of Skype.  Not me for sure.  We also could have another Bucksnort Bash, or with the holidays right around the corner, we could have a Halloween party.  One thread would be, "What is your costume?"  Another, "Halloween Games", H... food and drinks," etc.  Just a thought or two.

Good point Libby about the rich and famous, so it could be called "The Rich and/or The Famous."  Also, some people are neither, yet deserve our attention, so to speak.  Another thought, "World News and Obituaries," or shorten obituaries to "Obits." It might actually help some of the other threads that get over-whelmed with subjects posted unrated to them, and less in "The Donut Hole," because we end up with so many threads there that it's hard to keep up with them.  With all due respect to the forums, some subjects, reports, etc., are too important and just don't belong in a donut shop.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Well, I managed to move the Media Center successfully. That was a little bit interesting - the software layout is different from previous versions.

Libby

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines