Penny Dreadful

The Old Man

• Elders (Admins)

Has anyone seen Penny Dreadful yet? I've just caught up with the first 2 seasons and I'm completely hooked. I just can't believe how good this series is, dark, macabre, gothic, everything I love. Astonishing levels of acting and the dialogue is as absolutely intoxicating at times, so too the music.

With so many wonderful scenes and moments, it's hard to choose a favourite. I loved the scenes with the witches cottage on the moors, and the possession scenes were truly disturbing. It's not often you find a production where every actor steals almost every scene, but they are all equally brilliant and fascinating characters, especially John Clare and Dorian Gray. Dammit, they're all just so good!

• Like 1
  • Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

EARTH----> I don't have Showtime either, but this does look good, especially considering Eva Green is in it.  She is an awesome actor.

NUT

WOW ~ I just checked it out and found out that there has already been 2 seasons aired, and S3 starts in 2016.

Edited by Earthnut

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Watched the first four episodes of season 1 and this show is not for me, it's just too bloody, and.......

I don't mind a little sex, but this show, to me, is over-doing it, plus, I've always liked Josh Harnett, but seeing him kissing another man lost me.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been meaning to watch this, I was sold on the fact that Timothy Dalton was in it.

Seven and One [3.19]

:"Frank Black" (voiceover): I've been given the gift of insight, of seeing in the dark and seeing into the darkness of men's hearts and minds. I know what evil is. I've seen it, felt it, tasted it, inhaled the demon breath of its ancient powers. The same powers that have been prophesied through history and which are now marshalling. Who is witness to this? Have we stopped listening to the prophets, the seers and the sayers? I have misjudged my gift. If I see in the darkness it's because there is light. And it is the light which guides me now. The light that will not go out, that will lead us out of the dark night, if we let ourselves feel this, too. It will protect me, as it protects those around me. Even as the ancient forces try to steal our breaths. Seven years of trials and tribulations. Seven plus one, the prophets tell us. Is this the end? The last year of this peace? Or the beginning?

I've been meaning to watch this, I was sold on the fact that Timothy Dalton was in it.

Yeah, me too, I like him also, but just couldn't get into this show.  Not a fan of a lot of blood and guts.  I can handle some, but many movies and TV shows go way overboard and put too much in it.  :death:  Oh well.  :blush:

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 4 years later...

I'm kinda late to the party on this one, I guess.  I never saw it here in the US (not sure why), but I remember being in Windhoek, Namibia exhausted, and falling asleep with the TV on. I had really weird dreams and woke up. Penny Dreadful was on, which I had never seen. I watched it, intrigued, unable to go back asleep. I should probably get the DVDs on Amazon.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Elders (Admins)

I almost passed out when I saw Penny Dreadful had returned and started recording on my Sky box. Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, a spin-off, but I'll take it!

Premise

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is set nearly 50 years after the original series, during the Golden Age of Hollywood in the 1930s. It takes place in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place "deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension". The characters are connected in a conflict between the Mexican folklore deity, Santa Muerte, the caretaker of the dead and guide to the great beyond, and her spiritual sister, the demoness Magda, who believes mankind is inherently evil and aims to prove her point.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

I have watched the first season of the new show- I didn't like the characters as much as the original and the supernatural elements are down played.  I had a friend comment on how this could be a drama about race tension without even having any supernatural elements.  I just wonder if teh supernatural elements will be played up for season 2 if teh show gets renewed

"Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to. "- Buckaroo Banzai

"There are no answers- only choices."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines