9/27-28, Lunar Eclipse, Supermoon, but Apocalypse?

Sunday's lunar eclipse will also feature a 'Supermoon'

635784439918468660-AP-Total-Lunar-Eclips

Mark your calendars for Sept. 27-28. Scientists say that's when a supermoon lunar eclipse will rule the sky for the first time in 30 years. Newslook

It hasn't happened in 32 years, and won't for another 18 years: Sunday evening, a total lunar eclipse will coincide with a "Supermoon."

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is between the full moon and the sun. The Earth's shadow covers the moon, which often has a red color, hence the "blood" moon nickname.

Although it's completely in the shadow of Earth, a bit of reddish sunlight still reaches the moon.

"That red light shining onto the moon is sunlight that has skimmed and bent through Earth's atmosphere: that is, from all the sunrises and sunsets that ring the world at any given moment," according to Alan MacRobert of Sky and Telescope magazine.

The total eclipse will start at 10:11 p.m. EDT (7:11 p.m. PDT) Sunday evening and will last one hour and 12 minutes. It will be visible across North and South America, Europe, Africa, and parts of West Asia and the eastern Pacific, NASA said.

Weather permitting, folks in the eastern half of North America can watch every stage of the eclipse, from beginning to end of the partial phases, with the moon mostly high in the sky, Sky and Telescope reports.

In the West, the first partial stage of the eclipse will already be in progress when the moon rises in the east around sunset.

You don't need special glasses or gizmos to view it, unlike a solar eclipse, so feel free to stare directly at the moon. Binoculars or a telescope would improve the view.

YOUR TAKE:  Share your photos of the eclipse!

And what does a Supermoon mean? It just means the moon looks a bit bigger than usual since its a bit closer to the Earth than usual. "Because the orbit of the moon is not a perfect circle, the moon is sometimes closer to the Earth than at other times during its orbit," NASA scientist Noah Petro said in a statement.

"There’s no physical difference in the moon," Petro added. "It just appears slightly bigger in the sky. It’s not dramatic, but it does look larger."

It's about 14% larger than normal, NASA reports.

What is uncommon is for a total lunar eclipse to coincide with a Supermoon. There have been just five such events since 1900 (in 1910, 1928, 1946, 1964 and 1982), NASA said.

This is the last total lunar eclipse visible anywhere on Earth until 2018, according to Sky and Telescope. Americans will actually see a total solar eclipse (in Aug. 2017) before the next total lunar eclipse.

XpTrMZ8.jpg635784449587878643-times2.jpg

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just checked the times for the lunar eclipse for the UK. Starts at 01:11, maximum at 03:47, ends at 06:22. I guess I could try staying awake to see the beginning, and maybe set my alarm for the

It's a beautifully clear sky tonight. The forecast for tomorrow night is for cloud starting just before the eclipse. Typical boodly British weather. But, an interesting factoid I learned very recently

• Elders (Admins)

I've just checked the times for the lunar eclipse for the UK. Starts at 01:11, maximum at 03:47, ends at 06:22.

I guess I could try staying awake to see the beginning, and maybe set my alarm for the maximum. But it's more than likely that the sky will be overcast.

I guess if it's the apocalypse I'll find out the next morning. :Oo:

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Should be nice to see!!!! I hope the weather cooperates.

Yes, yes, yes, here's hoping the weather does cooperate.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

it says thunderstorms for my area sunday night. :(

Bummer!

Supermoon Total Lunar Eclipse: A Complete Viewing Guide for Skywatchers

Supermoon_Total_Lunar_Eclipse_A-4078a949

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

It's a beautifully clear sky tonight. The forecast for tomorrow night is for cloud starting just before the eclipse. Typical boodly British weather.

But, an interesting factoid I learned very recently: Back in the days of the ancient astronomers, they were wanting to track the path of the Sun against the stars, in order to produce a calendar of the seasons. But of course they couldn't track the Sun's path during the day, because the stars aren't visible. Instead, they used the full lunar eclipse, because then the Sun was immediately opposite the Moon on the other side of the Earth; and where the Moon is during a full lunar eclipse is exactly where the Sun will be half a year later. They named the constellations as a handy way of plotting the position of the Moon, and hence the Sun's path. Once they had done that, maybe hundreds or thousands of times over goodness-knows-how-many years, they had the Sun's complete path, called the ecliptic.

Smart (and patient!) cookies, them ancient astronomers. And clearly way, way much smarter than me, because I had no idea that full lunar eclipses were once that that significant.

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Wouldn't surprise me if our ancient astronomers weren't from other worlds, and just plotting out our skies for our future reference.

I so look forward to see it tonight.  So far the weather will be clear.  Sometimes I want to say, "Clear with a chance of Chemtrails."  Oh how I wish they would stop spraying.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Watched the eclipse from outside my front door, and what an awesome sight to see.  Here are a few links to images taken from around the world that Yahoo shared and the page with YouTube videos posted.  Enjoy!

See how the #SuperBloodMoon looked around the world

http://news.yahoo.com/super-blood-moon-photos-video-social-media-123308344.html

37 supermoon eclipse images from around the world

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/rare-supermoon-eclipse-seen-around-the-world-slideshow/rare-supermoon-eclipse-seen-around-the-world-photo-1443441932330.html

Super moon eclipse: The most stunning photos we could find

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/super-moon-eclipse-most-stunning-photos-could-125528677.html

Here's the link to YouTube's page of videos ~

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=9%2F27%2F2015+Supermoon+Lunar+Eclipse

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

It rained all night here.  But.... there was no apocalypse!  Well there  is always an apocalypse. If you stop to think that  the word means "change", then every day is apocalyptic.

:wink:

Sorry I missed the  eclipse of the supermoon .  Glad it is online!

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden