"Lance Henriksen and his many talents. showcased" thread

Rate this topic

seesthru

"In my Craft or Sullen Art" is the poem Lance recites in this video. 

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart. 

Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Nor for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art 

I love this poem, and Lance  recites it hauntingly, beautifully
Edited by seesthru

He's a true artistic soul. I've never been able to meet Lance myself at a convention, but a friend of a friend has, and he said that he is the most gracious warm and gentle person he's ever met.

I don't know how to remove the facebook stuff.

You may not be able to because it's a link.

He's a true artistic soul. I've never been able to meet Lance myself at a convention, but a friend of a friend has, and he said that he is the most gracious warm and gentle person he's ever met.

Have you heard anything about why he and Bill Smitrovich, who played Lt. Bob Bletcher, didn't get along?

I follow Bill on his face book page,  and I believe once someone asked that and he didnt seem to hold any ill will towards Lance (it has been quite a number of years of course), but mentioned that both of them just had strong personalities, and when you bring two strong personalities together there is the potential for them to clash.

Edited by Mabius

I follow Bill on his face book page,  and I believe once someone asked that and he didnt seem to hold any ill will towards Lance, but mentioned that both of them just had strong personalities, and when you bring two strong personalities together there is the potential for them to clash.

Could some of their "strong personalities" be related to ego?  How actors present themselves to the public can be very different from how they are at work, especially behind the scenes. 

Well I don't know either man personally... but in my opinion all actors have at least a bit of egomania in them. You've got to to have a passion for being in front of a camera.

So true Mabius.  After growing up in California and working for PBS, I met a lot of celebrities, in just about every industry, and I can say most of them loved the attention and spotlight.  There were a few kind and humble ones that I found it a pleasure to meet.

Wow... as a PBS fan I'd love to hear you dish... a thread all about your experiences... just a thought, I love insider info.

Honestly, I rarely bring it up, except I have here a couple times.  Once I can remember was in a thread chatting with Beer Belch since he lives in California.

Mabius, I will however throw you a few bones...:295:.  

First I want to say the most fulfilling experience was our P R dept. organizing the first two showings of Sesame Street in California, at the studio, produced by the Children's Television Workshop in N Y.  We had representation from all over the state for two days, schools, politicians, etc., and it was a joy and thrill to see these adults rolling on the floor with laughter over a children's program.  I was either in the studio or in the control room having the time of my life.  Animal is my favorite character.  Maybe it was because he was in chains and still so darn happy and ready to play his drums and party.

animal2.jpglove-smiley-with-a-heart.png

Two of the absolute rudest people were Shelly Winters and Jerry Lewis.  BBC was taping interviews one night and since I was in the public relations department I would be there to make coffee, tea, drinks if requested, and greet the guests.

Jerry completely ignored my welcome as he walked in and passed me, so, as I walked away I replied out loud, "Why my dear, it's a pleasure to meet you too."  Surprised I didn't get fired over that.  He was an absolute jerk.  :yucky:

The most humble was Kirk Douglas, on the same night.  He literally smiled and bowed when we met, and reached out his hand first to shake mine.

The two most hysterical people ever, ever, ever, were Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.  Both on the same night.  The makeup people couldn't work because they were laughing too hard with tears in their eyes, and I literally laughed so hard I hit the floor, and this was in the makeup room, just 3 people to entertain.  If you're a woman and Walter likes you, he will lick your cheek.  :280:  Yes, my cheek was licked.  (We need an emoticon licking someone's cheek). :whistling:  Jack reminded me a little of my father.  So as you can see, they are two of my all time favorites.  :wub:  I love and miss them dearly.  May they both rest in peace.

.   clipart-3roses.gif  tumblr_m96l666EaT1rrf3k7.jpg

I was introduced to Shelly Winters at a fundraiser, and I guess since I wasn't someone of any importance she looked at me like I was trash and walked away, and yes, embarrassing the person who was introducing us.  He though she was rude because she was jealous.  Could be, since back then I was a beauty and built like a brick outhouse.  But you know what, there was no reason for her to be, because in her younger years, she was beautiful.  As for me, age wiggled in and ruined it all.

I also met Elvis 3 times, the first time was at the PBS station in Hollywood (KCET, at Hollywood and Vine), because he was rehearsing for Vegas and we had an RCA recording studio in the building, which also included The Dating Game set.  I and the maintenance man had our own keys to the building, so we waited outside the studio until he came out for a break.  You wouldn't believe the crowd in the parking lot.  Had my poodle with me and he said he was cute and his mother was beautiful.  Later on I met him twice in Vegas, with him remembering me from the station.  That was a shocker.  With all the people, especially all the women he meets, I was impressed with him remembering me from the station, and yes, very complimented.  The last time I saw him was after another show in Vegas, and yes, he recognized me again, and ask my girlfriend and I up to his suite, but it didn't last long.  He came out and said hi, looked up and down me, and then he left the room.  He didn't even shake my hand this time, contrary to the first two times.  Once he left, his guards started to weasel in and see how far they could get, so we excused ourselves and left.  My opinion of his guards is not a good one.  It didn't surprise me that he left though, because he had been separated from Priscilla, and at that time of his life he and his guards were all into drugs, and for sure alcohol.  Even though back then I looked a lot like her, before her nose job, I guess I just wasn't close enough, or flat wasn't her, so he didn't stick around.  I actually felt sorry for him that night because up close he looked so sad in his eyes, along with being high as a kite.  Even though he was surrounded by many, he seemed very sad and lonely.

That's 5 bones Mabius... Image result for emoticons boneImage result for emoticons boneImage result for emoticons boneImage result for emoticons boneImage result for emoticons bone

Yes, I dated a few, but I will keep that information for a private conversation.  :whistling:

There were a couple private clubs for celebrities and stars of sports to go to when they are in Los Angeles, back then the best one was called, The Sports Page, and proud to say that one of my friends that I met there was Wilt Chamberlain.  Never forget the late afternoon he called from out of town to find out what was going on at the club that night since he was flying in.  My father answered the phone and beamed with pride when he found out who was asking for me, and that he and I were friends.

Okay, that's enough, and you're up to 6 bones now, 7 counting :239: Animal.  Hope this has fulfilled your request for now.  Feel free to start a post with it, I don't mind, and if you need me to help, let me know.  Thanks for asking.  It was a joy to share this with you all.