"Lance Henriksen and his many talents. showcased" thread

Rate this topic

seesthru

THANK YOU tremendously Earthnut for indulging my curiosity. It was a perfect treat to wake up to. I love showbiz stories. I've heard similarly horrendous things about people meeting Jerry Lewis. Acts like a real jerk, especially to  his volunteers during his many TV telethons. What a delight it would be to meet the one and only Elvis too... I would have been delighted as well to meet Jack Lemmon. Wonderful comic and dramatic actor.. his performance in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross is stunning.

The one pleasant experience I myself have had was meeting Robert Picardo at a convention - he played the doctor on Star Trek: Voyager, the coach from The Wonder Years, many other TV and movie roles. Every other celeb I saw at this convention looked bored out of their mind, wouldn't even move from their chair. Robert got up from his table himself and walked over to me! Such a kind man, and it was great getting to meet him briefly.

Mabius, you are very welcome, and thank you for the compliment.  Yes, there are more, but these are some of the most interesting besides the people I knew personally.  Stories I would gladly share privately.

It's always nice to hear about a celebrity that actually cares about his/her fans, and shows it.  After all, it's the fans that got them where they are in the first place.  We pay for the tickets.

As far as working at KCET in Los Angeles, I believe it was 100 times the work back then because we didn't have computers, cell phones, emails, etc., etc.

I started out on the production crew of a TV show called The Advocates, which was a mock trial with a real judge and two attorneys taking opposing views usually always on a subject, and a studio jury, plus the viewing audience, who could call in with their verdict, normally just a yes or a no.  There were just a couple times we had a person on trial, and always they were a deceased historical figure.  Often we would have well known personalities brought in as a witness.  All of our research for each show was either on a land line, through appointments, and naturally at the library and government departments, city, state, and Federal.  It was a wild ride meeting our deadlines, which would be so much easier today with modern technology.  I would love to see this show come back on the air.  It was really good.  Later on I was promoted and transferred to the public relations dept.

Another wild ride, after promotion was producing the monthly program guide, which back then was typed on carbon and stencils.  It was tons of work if you made a mistake with so many layers to repair.

Then of course the usual interaction with the foundations supporting public broadcasting, volunteers, and as I said, celebrities from multiple industries, and of course politicians.

The graphics dept. was a trip to watch back then because most of the time they used a light table.  We did have some machines, but nothing like a computer today.

I could go on and on, but I will stop for now.

Thank you Mabius for the trip down Memory Lane.

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2015 at 1:25 PM, seesthru said:

Sometimes despite how nice you are and how nice someone else is, you just don't hit it off.

Very true statement, especially in the entertainment business with all of its inflated egos.