Whether the Weather

• Elders (Admins)

I saw the news about the rainfall in California that affected the Oroville Dam. I hope things have quietened down there. Big storms can dump such huge quantities of water in such a short space of time. Sure, the safety of the dam should have been assured, but, far too often, there's big money for big projects but little money for maintenance. These days, with more and more extreme weather events, there's growing evidence that structures that have stood the test of time maybe won't surive the test of now.

In the UK, we've just had Storm Doris. Very high winds and quite a lot of structural damage and, sadly, one fatality. Locally, where we're sheltered, gusts got to 45 mph. But it was worse further north of us. Quite a number of trees were brought down. Travel was severely affected in some areas. Some airplanes couldn't land at some airports, and many flights out have been cancelled. Railway travel has been severely disrupted - a lot of commuting into and out of London is done by train, so just one tree blown onto a critical part of the rail network can cause havoc, and there are thousands of people stranded in London unable to get home. It's a sobering thought that we're a small country, so when a big storm hits it can affect the whole of the country.

Conditions would have been worse where The Old Man is, so I hope that at least he's still got a roof over his head.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 7 months later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Currently, we have Storm Brian. Cue many British internetters riffing the Monty Python film: "He's not a storm. He's a very naughty breeze."

Here are some photos (taken from https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5003265/Storm-Brian-batters-Britain-70-mph-winds.html):

59eba2b109b5f_Brian01.jpg.025d4058b907528b87e61a2e97d983b6.jpg

59eba2c036aa1_Brian02.jpg.1ad9345c0da078587272d932fe366fc0.jpg

59eba2d67dfcc_Brian04.jpg.3882c740b1a75a3051cbf36956f2fdef.jpg

Brian 03.jpg

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 4 months later...
  • Elders (Admins)

It's almost Spring. So, obviously, time for the UK to have winter weather. Current warnings out for the whole of the UK:

5a986243f3862_Weatherwarnings20180301.PNG.e0288d879ecf1d33785ce2a4a32508a5.PNG

Loads of people, especially in Scotland and Scandinavia, are yet again scoffing at our ability to cope with weather conditions that are normal for them. But that's the point. It's normal for them to get snow and ice so they know how to deal with it. For the rest of us, though, this is a very abnormal weather condition, and we don't have snow chains for our vehicles. We don't have many snow ploughs because they'd just be sitting in a depot and only brought out for a couple of days every few years or so. The vehicles that grit the roads are just ordinary trucks, and it's the refuse collectors that are stood in the back and shovelling grit on to the road. And there's not much point in spreading salt, because the temperatures are too low and the snow is too dry.

My nearest online weather station shows the local temperatures for the last 7 days:

5a98649486148_Templast7days20180301.PNG.40ba310851476055977f6f3b8ac22d55.PNG

And I'm in the south, where we rarely get temperatures like these.

But I'm ok. I heeded the warnings and got stocked up on the essentials - especially cake and chocolate.

Libby

Aye aye aye. I'm waking up in the middle of the night in sweat and you're over there waking up to sleet! In Florida it's becoming rather spring like. Skipped over winter this year: there have been seasons where frost nipped at the tips of grass days on end and plants had to be tucked in at night under  warm sheets. Only one day of that this winter... and Now the pollen is falling , like snow you could say! A leisurely pillowish haze! Allergies aflame, drowsy days! It's all about being prepared as you say, and as far as abnormality goes, your weather's got mine beat! So I'll just pop back a couple of benadrylls and clam shut... Just hope a sneeze don't escape me! Adieu and achoo!

Edited by Jabbapop

Japapop you must be in south Florida.    Up here further north in Florida,  we had snow twice!  We also had 2 solid weeks of below freezing temperatures during the second  cold "snap"   Then boom!  summer-like, 80's, pollen everywhere, ick!   But we definitely had winter, though short it was. It was unusual in that the 2  cold spells were longer in duration, overall we have been below normal for rainfall, and  spring came  before February had even started.  

Libby I don't envy you at all.  WE too, have no idea how to get by in icy conditions.  When the roads ice up we stay home, because being out not knowing what to do, how to drive, in a crowd of others just the same, it's crazy!   On Facebook someone from  the UK is wanting to know how to thaw pipes, and the plumbers are telling people every thing a US plumber would say not to do..  I"m seeing people with leaking roofs,  from burst pipes on the roof, I saw PVC pipe coming out of the side of a building and I"m wondering if that is a water line or septic, but whatever it is it's frozen and they think they can thaw it!  Nope!  It's too high up!

Crazy weather you all are having!  I didn't know until recently that this kind of thing you all don't normally get, I guess the gulf stream keeps you protected normally?

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Major Storm Headed For US May Be Another 'Bomb Cyclone'

https://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/newser-major_storm_headed_for_us_may_be_another_bomb_cycl-rnewsernor

Winter Storm Riley Undergoes Bombogenesis Into a Strong Nor'easter With Damaging Winds, Coastal Flooding and Heavy, Wet Snow in the East

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-03-01-winter-storm-riley-noreaster-high-winds-coastal-flooding-heavy-snow

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

https://time.com/5183313/winter-storm-riley-flight-every-one-threw-up/

A plane flying into Washington Dulles International Airport was rocked so severely by Winter Storm Riley that nearly every person on the flight threw up.

According to the National Weather Service Aviation Weather Center, one pilot reported that the nor’easter currently pummeling the East Coast resulted in sickening turbulence for passengers en route to D.C. on Friday morning. In fact, the ride was so choppy that even the pilots themselves were affected.

“VERY BUMPY ON DESCENT. PRETTY MUCH EVERY ONE ON THE PLANE THREW UP. PILOTS WERE ON THE VERGE OF THROWING UP,” the report read.

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Thinking we need a new forum just for this storm ~

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/tiwwa/topic/26825-winter-storm-riley/

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines