Whether the Weather

• Elders (Admins)

Currently, it's winter in the UK. Snow and hail further north. Here, in the south, the temperature is just above freezing, and heading downwards. The weather system that earlier brought rain from the southwest has moved, and it's now bringing cold air and snow from the north.

The Met Office have released the A-Z list of names for storms. The fifth storm will be Storm Frank! I wonder if that'll be "dark and gloomy". :wiggle:

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Oklahoma is in the 40s now at night, 60s during the day, but a storm is on the way from what I hear.

Wow, Storm Frank.  What kind of storm is it, a Cyclone, Hurricane, Tornado, Lightning, etc.?  Dark and gloomy, yep, that's Frank, and a bit yummy on the side.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Winter storm Frank.  How long have they been naming them over there? How long here int eh US?  I think it's been a few years.  They didn't' always name the winter storms.

Here in NW Florida,  first chill is starting.  TOmorrow night will be 34 degrees Fahrenheit  Wind advisory as well.  But  in 3 days it will be warm again.

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

• Elders (Admins)

It's only this year that winter storms in the British Isles have been named - that's why we've only had two so far. Prior to that, we just had to make do with "weather systems". I'd like to think that the naming of storms would enable more explanation to the public about our weather systems and how they work, but I'm not holding my breath.

Locally, here are screenshots from my local online weather station:

565397deb54f3_2014-11-06last7days.PNG.3d

565397f6667ec_2014-11-0624hours.PNG.75fa

That's about as just up-and-down as you can get!

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Here's some interesting reading about names from the National Hurricane Center ~

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames_history.shtml

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

That's a very interesting article, Earthnut. It does make it clear why the naming of storms became important, to avoid confusion.

Libby

• Elders (Admins)
On 11/22/2015, 2:01:17, Earthnut said:

Wow, Storm Frank.  What kind of storm is it, a Cyclone, Hurricane, Tornado, Lightning, etc.?  Dark and gloomy, yep, that's Frank, and a bit yummy on the side.

It'll probably be an anticyclone. That's what we usually get.  They rotate in the opposite direction to a cyclone. I don't really understand why. I should research that. Could be the Coriolis effect.

On the other hand, the way anticyclones move across the British Isles reminds me a bit of that moonwalk thingy - maybe anticyclones aren't as ferocious as cyclones because they're ass-backwards.:boody:

Libby

• Elders (Admins)
18 hours ago, seesthru said:

Looks like FLorida, only a little colder! LOL We got down to 2 degrees celsius last night. 15 degrees celsius today. 4 degrees tomorrow night and  warmer the nest day.

seesthru - you used celsius! The DVD lecture courses I buy are produced in the USA, and the science ones have to do that inclusion of both Imperial and Metric units, which I'm always grateful for, given that it was all Imperial when I was young and now it's all Metric. Many of my generation in the UK find that Celsius works when the temperatures are low, but Fahrenheit works best when temperatures are high. I can understand some things in metres or kilometres, but there are times when only miles make sense.

Edited to add: We seem to have reverted back to autumn.

Libby

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines