Whether the Weather

I googled for the celcius! LOL! I  took some chemistry classes and hat to take them twice to pass them...  I never could get the hang of the conversion formulas.  

C x 9/5 + 32 = °F.

F - 32) x 5/9 = °C  ...

If you have the formula in front of you, it's not so bad, but if you have to memorize and remember which to do when, you can  become  a bit confused!

I think  I like C readings when it's cold,  because they are colder looking than fahrenheit.  Yes I like the  F temps when it's warm, because they are higher! LOL   So you're right!

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

• Elders (Admins)

I could never remember the conversion formulas. Fortunately, my local online weather station has options to change the units at the touch of a button. Very useful.

Meanwhile, Storm Clodagh is over the British Isles. It's been very windy locally today, with gusts up to 30 mph, even though we're relatively sheltered.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Past couple days we've had freezing rain in Oklahoma.  It's a pretty sight seeing ice on everything, yet so very dangerous at the same time.  It causes a lot of wires and branches to fall.  Thankfully the roads have been clear.

They say El Nino is bad this year.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

El Nino is a doozy this yer.  The hurricanes that hit  the pacific side of Mexico were the strongest ever recorded, first one, then the other, for that part of the pacific. drought was worse than even a normal El Nino year out west.  Bad for them good for me, since El Nino tends to keep hurricane activity away from  the northern gulf. It's not a guarantee but it's a good help. BTW today is the last day of hurricane season!

I hope everyone  here that is dealing with the ice storm stays okay .  I know it's killed people already. 

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Nowadays, people are dying everywhere because of everything.  Even though the hurricane season may be over, doesn't mean it is.  Weather has not been predictable for a long time now, and nobody can agree on anything.  One person states the ice is melting, the next will say it's building up.  Yeesh.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

21 minutes ago, Earthnut said:

Nowadays, people are dying everywhere because of everything.  Even though the hurricane season may be over, doesn't mean it is.  Weather has not been predictable for a long time now, and nobody can agree on anything.  One person states the ice is melting, the next will say it's building up.  Yeesh.

You are correct. There have been recorded hurricanes in all 12 months. But I'm sure if we have an out of season storm the over-hyping news media will do their best to cause hand wringing everywhere

• Elders (Admins)

One of the problems with the climate is that it's not possible to do any real-life experiments (thank goodness!), so predictions have to be based on computer models - which are getting better and better but only in the medium term. Climate change is way too big to be really certain about the effects. Some glaciers might be increasing because of greater snowfall, because there's more water in the atmosphere, because Arctic ice is melting, because global temperatures are rising... just trying to think about it gives me a headache.

Oh, the media, model217, I know exactly what you mean. The UK Daily Mail is notorious for that. Their only saving grace is that they usually have the best weather photos (occasionally taken by people who hear the weather forecast - high winds!, high tides! - and then go out onto the beach because they want to take selfies :521:).

Here's the latest batch on the Daily Mail website:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3339049/UK-weather-Storm-Clodagh-batters-country-79mph-winds.html

Lots of flooding occurs in some areas, the locals are used to it. But there's no discrimination in the media generally between the usual and the unusual. Some airports are prone to high winds or wind gusts, so pilots and air traffic control are very used to "go-arounds" at certain times of the year. The media version is: OMG, that plane almost crashed - whereas it's really just business as usual.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

I've forgotten how far I've got in reporting about our named storms here. Storm Clodagh has been and gone, and now we're onto Storm Desmond. The storms seem to be following a similar trajectory, and most of the severe weather in England has hit Bucksnort North Wales and the English midlands and north. It's taken roof tiles off, which means that the rain is getting in. Apparently, some people are unhappy that builders and roofers aren't immediately coming out to repair their roofs, seemingly not being able to understand that if the wind is blowing a hoolie, it's not a good idea to be up at the top of a tall ladder.

Libby

My son is as builder and he would totally agree with you.  Those strong winds while on a rooftop, or anywhere up high, can knock you over and the fall could kill you.  Plus, after a lot of damage, contractors are super busy.  Tree trimmers and the utility companies fixing downed lines have been super busy here since the recent freeze.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Too many people live in their own bubble of existence. They don't seem to be able to realise that if a storm has damaged their roof, then it probably damaged a heck of a lot of other roofs - despite the images splashed all over the media. They also don't seem to think of the safety issues, nor that there's always a limited number of builders/roofers in any area, nor that others might have a higher priority.

Disasters so often bring out the best in people, but they can also bring out the selfish.

Libby

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines