Whether the Weather

Yeah after whatever hurricane happens to meander wherever int eh US, people are yelling aobut  roofers being too slow.  Which leads to scammers ciming in posing as roofers and  scamming people too hurried to wait for local reputable ones.

The UK and Europe folks  are tough folks.  I'm looking at windspeeds on your storms and they are hurricane force!   Same with ALaska and  all up north.  Those winter storms blow through so fierce! Y'all are like, Lah did dah, same weather different day!

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

• Elders (Admins)

Scammers are scum. There was a story in the news that one rental agency, in an area that had been hit by flooding, had tripled their fees for people seeking alternative accommodation. Scammers not only hurt the people they scam, they also hurt the good guys, whose reputation gets damaged by mere association.

UK weather tends to be fairly standard - maybe up to three seasons in one day because we can get weather coming in from all directions of the compass - and that's one of the reasons we talk about the weather. (The other reason is that it's about as safe a conversation starter as you could imagine.) These storms, however, are quite intense, but they are usually quite localised. Some areas are prone to flooding; some areas are prone to high winds. But it's been quite severe so far, and no doubt there's more to come.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

There's a documentary series called "The World's Weirdest Weather" which is worth watching. I've just watched an episode that featured heavy snow in Tucson, Arizona! Cue my eyebrows almost disappearing into my hairline.There is some science, but it's the right kind of science teaching that explains without using complicated stuff. The series appears to be made by the Weather Channel, which I guess is a US TV organisation, in association with Channel 4, which is a UK TV organisation.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I think i saw an ep or two of the world's weirdest weather. :)

Speaking of weird, heat wave for Christmas for the Eastern Us, and spring type tornadoes   7 dead, don't know how many injured. Not good. WE might get the nasties here today, so I'm watching the radar.

W. H. Auden

It's quite warm here in Florida but not a record.

I remember Christmas 1980 living in northern Michigan it was so warm that we had to open the house to turn on the oven. Christmas dinner and we sat around sweating.

Christmas 1983 I was here in Florida and it got so cold it killed all the citrus trees. It never got above freezing all day. Very unusual 

Statement as of 05:43 PM CST on December 24, 2015
... Record high temperature set at Pensacola... 

a record high temperature of 80 degrees was set at Pensacola today.
This breaks the old record of 78 set in 1974.

2 years ago, my citrus trees got killed off during a cold snap that included sleet, and freezing rain and bitter cold. I don't remember much about last year,  it was a bit warmer than the year before, but this year feels like  April, not December!

W. H. Auden

• Elders (Admins)

The weather seems to be getting worryingly strange. There was a tornado in Alabama on Christmas Day - I thought the tornado season ran from spring to autumn?

More flooding in the UK. The recent storms seem to be tracking in the same direction, so hitting places that have already been flooded. So the rivers are running high, the ground is waterlogged. Soldiers were called out and worked Christmas Day trying to shore up some of the flood defences. The Met Office issued two red warnings for rain on Boxing Day - the first time ever that two "dangers to life" warnings were issued on the same day. More rain and flooding today in the same areas. Pictures here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374917/The-day-Britain-went-UK-hit-worst-floods-decades-towns-mini-Venices-thousands-flee-homes.html  - ignore the headline, that's just the Daily Mail doing it's usual tabloid thing, but they usually have the best photos.

Flooding does happen from time to time in most of those areas, but it's not been so relentless as it has this winter.

seesthru, I think to go from freezing conditions to a record high of 80 degrees in the same place over two years is more than a bit weird.

Libby

Christmas eve and Christmas day there were lots of tornadoes in Alabama and Mississippi   some folks died. Yesterday and today Texas is getting hit. 11 dead in tornadoes that hit in Texas yesterday, and I'm watching it ramp up this evening.  They've had warnings left and right.  This is not unheard of but it's not  common, not big outbreaks that last days on end. This is spring weather, not winter weather for those areas.

I'm on the gulf coast.   Going from freezing conditions one day one year to  80 degree records the next year or year after?  Not unusual.  /We have had sleet as late as April here, snow as late as March... Yep in Florida. Northwest Florida.  WE get such unusual  weather. But this long term heat wave, no freezing temps this year yet and it's almost January?  I've not seen this before.

I've ben hearing about the flooding int he UK  terrible!  Scary!!!!!!  The weather is acting up all over. I think so many events in so many places all at once is very unusual.

W. H. Auden

I read that it was York in the UK that got flooded.  Hope and pray no one is injured or died from it.

Oklahoma is covered in snow and ice and I am so thankful my son's new girlfriend is basically stuck here with me.  She lives about 45 minutes away, and has no business driving that far, and then she would be stuck at home alone.  We're having a great time.

The weather has been terrible everywhere.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

North Wales and northern England have been affected by the rains; really from one coast to the other. Storm Frank is due this evening; and forecasted to dump another load of rain over northern England into southern Scotland, but York may escape that. What with that, and the bad weather in the US, I'm feeling a bit edgy. I'm just hoping it's all to do with El Nino, and things will calm down.

It's good that you're having a great time, Earthnut. Company is the best policy when there's bad weather around, and your son no doubt is happy that his Mom and girlfriend are safe.

Libby

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines