Whether the Weather

northern Illinois had almost 12 hours of sleet mixed with freezing rain yesterday [ Monday].  I would rather have snow .  We had a bit of melt today [ Tuesday ] which will refreezing and make things nasty.  Chicago airports were slowed to a crawl both incoming and outgoing .  Glad I had no where to be . Please all be safe... if there is water on the roadway, turn around don't drown ! 

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

• Elders (Admins)

Although York may escape the worst of the current Storm Frank, I've just heard that a bridge in Tadcaster, 10 miles upstream from York, has collapsed. Probably because of the volume of water plus the trees and other debris. All that debris would have been holding back the water, but now it's on its way to York, along with all that debris, which could have a domino effect. Parts of Tadcaster have had to be evacuated; there's a suspected ruptured gas pipe; and the electricity supply to the town has been cut off.

That stone bridge has been there since 1700. It had been the only main road bridge over the river in the town since then. There is an alternative route, but that takes people from one side of the town on a circuitous route before they can drive into the other side of town. There is a pedestrian foot bridge, but that only works for some people. A GP practice has had to relocate, so there needs to be an emergency set-up so that people can get medical care, whichever side of the river they live.

What did the Romans do for us? Well, they built incredible roads (some of which still exist), and they built incredibly strong bridges (some of which still exist). But they built their incredibly strong bridges over the narrowest points of rivers, and that's where English towns subsequently flourished. If there had been a risk to building a bridge there, the Romans probably wouldn't have built it. But times have changed, and we've been ignoring the geography of the land - rivers have always broken their banks and spilled over into their floodplains. That was ok when it was farmland; but those areas became prime building plots for houses, which then get flooded, and people complain - mostly because they weren't informed about the risk.

We do really need to reconnect with nature. When nature tells us what it does, even occasionally, we do really need to listen.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Looks like it's tracking north, which hopefully means it'll run out of steam before it can make landfall at the Azores. But it does show that sea temperatures in that part of the Atlantic are still high enough to spawn a hurricane, even though the official hurricane season has now ended. I see from your link that it's been a fairly quiet hurricane season in the Atlantic, but above-average in the Pacific. I guess that does tie in with the El Nino phenomenon.

Here in the UK, we appear to have moved from the sequence of storms coming in from the Atlantic (the last storm was Storm Frank, 29-30 December). But those seem to have stopped, in favour of weather coming down from the Polar regions. Scotland, northern and mid-England have had some snow. Locally, in the balmy south, where I live, the temperatures are nudging towards freezing.

It's been very strange weather here this winter. In fact, we haven't actually had winter yet. I know that typical winter weather often doesn't make its full appearance until January/February, but we haven't had much in the way of frost this season, which confuses the heck out of the local flora and fauna. And me.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Lord have mercy, 81 days, that's horrible.  As much as I love the rain, I'm depressed just reading about it.  Did anyone think of building an ark?

Love this image and the caption from the page ~ " The sun is coming: Even the livestock are fed up of the rain"

PAY-rain.jpg

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Storm Imogen is on its way. It's tracking further south than previous storms, so those flood-hit areas further north will escape the worst. But it'll affect areas in the south and some of those are already sodden with all the rain this winter. In my area, there's already rain and gusts today that have taken down a couple of trees within a few miles. The trees, of course, are just bare branches, so that's an indication of how unstable the roots are.

I'm staying in tomorrow. But that's not an option for people to who have to go to work/school, nor for livestock farmers. The south-west, where the storm is going to hit the most, is mostly rural and agricultural.

As the storm is projected to also include the sea along the south coast, it'll also affect shipping - many local and Channel ferries have already been cancelled - and I just hope there's no stupid individuals who will insist on going sailing, or take selfies on the harbour wall while the waves are crashing over.

Libby

winter has returned to the northern plains and upper midwest including Chicago.   We only got light snow then temps will plunge . Some states had blizzard conditions with wind gusts 70-100 mph [ 112+ kph - 160 kph]  Even a mild winter gets old.  High tides with new moon and a strong winter storm is pounding  New England states near the coastline with flooding expected.    

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

• 4 months later...
  • Elders (Admins)

There's been some very worrying weather in Europe lately. Germany in particular got hit by very heavy rains not so long ago. Yesterday, there were very heavy rains that flooded parts of London. Some people had to be rescued from their cars.

In my part of the UK, the last couple of days have been dry, but the sunshine feels so hot and it's very humid, which makes even a gentle walk into town somewhat exhausting. Yesterday, I went into the cafe at the local library for a cup of tea, but they have plastic chairs and I had to kind of peel myself off.

This morning I mowed the lawn, but fairly early, before it got too hot.Then remarked to my husband that the spring rains had encouraged the growth of plants, but only the leaves. It's as though they'd all then gone into some kind of stasis because of the heat. We had very little colour at all. Interestingly, and maybe not at all relevant, all our dahlias had died - just dried stems with a hole next to each plant. Probably wildlife (mice?) had eaten the tubers. It's a very sad garden.

So, I suggested to my husband that we go buy stuff from the local garden centre. Which we did, and got quite a number of plants. Even by about 11 a.m. it was getting too hot to work in the garden, so that's the task for tomorrow at early o'clock.

For as long as this current hot, dry spell continues, we'll have to water the garden. It's all a bit odd, because some people have too much rain and some people don't have enough. Water is a precious resource, so shouldn't be wasted on just making a garden look pretty. On the other hand, my son-in-law's father is a beekeeper and we need bees and they need flowers.

We're putting more energy into the Earth's atmosphere, but it's not like simply cranking up the heating a bit in our house. It gets focused, like one driver in a flow of traffic flooring the pedal. The overall energy of the whole system doesn't rise by much, but the effect locally is best described as "angry". That's what our weather systems seem to be doing.

Libby

Well you know me.  Besides blaming all the multiple weather changes world wide, I also blame the chemicals they are spraying into our atmosphere, and all over the planet.  It's not just the energy that's in the atmosphere, but these chemicals are destroying the planet and making people sick.  Actually, it's more of a slow death.

People argue that it's just air (contrails) from jet engines, but hot air at cooler, higher elevations evaporates, whereas chemtrails linger and spread, covering and creating a haze in the sky.  Weather reporters will say it's partly cloudy, because they are not allow to talk about chemtrails.  But reporters still want to report.  Here's a 2014 video explaining the difference ~

Check out these chemtrail images ~

https://www.google.com/search?q=chemtrails&rlz=1C1CHWL_enUS673US673&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRjajp9Z3NAhWF64MKHSg8B24QsAQIKg&biw=1163&bih=876&dpr=1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines