Very strange murder mystery

Rate this topic

Libby

• Elders (Moderators)

Update:

The inquest on John Sabine has been concluded and more details have emerged.

Leigh Ann had wrapped his body in so many layers that not only had that prevented any odours, it had also preserved his remains. The forensic scientists were able to identify the brand of pyjamas he had been wearing, and also calculate how much alcohol he had consumed shortly before his death. After all those years!

They also produced to the inquest the object that police found in their apartment that matched the skull fractures. It was a 2-pound stone ornament in the shape of a frog, that was kept on a bedside table. And she didn’t get rid of the murder weapon!

Apparently, she had made various references to what she had done, to various people, but she was so well-known for making outlandish statements that no-one believed her when she was actually telling the truth.

Mind-boggling.

22 hours ago, Libby said:

Update:

The inquest on John Sabine has been concluded and more details have emerged.

Leigh Ann had wrapped his body in so many layers that not only had that prevented any odours, it had also preserved his remains. The forensic scientists were able to identify the brand of pyjamas he had been wearing, and also calculate how much alcohol he had consumed shortly before his death. After all those years!

They also produced to the inquest the object that police found in their apartment that matched the skull fractures. It was a 2-pound stone ornament in the shape of a frog, that was kept on a bedside table. And she didn’t get rid of the murder weapon!

Apparently, she had made various references to what she had done, to various people, but she was so well-known for making outlandish statements that no-one believed her when she was actually telling the truth.

Mind-boggling.

Wow, yes, very mind-boggling.

• 1 month later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

Yes, the love of money has always been a motivation for some people. And quite a number of those people resort to murder or fraud or so-called "white collar" crime.

There was another strange murder in the UK, and it's taken me a while to remember the names of the killers. The Wycherley husband and wife were killed by their daughter and son-in-law, Susan and Christopher Edwards. Their bodies were buried in the back garden of their home. The Edwards got access to the Wycherley's bank accounts and diverted their pensions to their own bank account for several years. They forged the Wycherley's signatures in order to sell the house and pocketed that money. It all began to unravel when Mr Wycherley supposedly got to the age of 100 years and a routine letter from the government department that deals with pensions arrived.

The Edwards then fled the country, with the little money they still had, which wasn't very much. They contacted a relative and explained their predicament, and that relative went straight to the police. The garden was excavated and the bodies were found. That, of course, made the news. The Edwards contacted the police and arranged to meet them on their return, and they were arrested and charged.

It's a strange story, because both the Wycherleys and the Edwards seem to have lived fairly isolated lives, rather than the exuberant/exhibitionist/narcisistic life of Leigh Ann Sabine. The tragic underscoring of the Edwards is that most of their illgotten gains was spent on Hollywood memorabilia which, in the end, wasn't worth very much at all.

This is a good recap of the story (not sure if it will be accessible outside the UK):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/25/the-murderers-next-door

(The current owners of the house had to move out while the forensic examination of the garden took place. They moved back in afterwards. Their view is that they had made a happy home there, and the past didn't change that.)

The motive for the murders was still monetary gain.   The daughter and son in law wanted the pensions, and  wanted to sell the house off.   There might have been an educational difference or  cultural difference.  Seems to me spending money on cheap hollywood memorabilia isn't what  educated folks would do. It implies more ignorance.   Sabine had been more places, was exposed to  a greater variety of experiences, therefore spent her money accordingly.

If I were to murder for money, It wouldn't really occur to me to travel overseas and visit the louvre, or the leaning tower f Pisa, etc... or go skiing at aspen.  I've simply not traveled as much as most folks. Heck I"ve liven in Florida most of my life with ocassional  stints in other states... and i've never been near Disney world.