Chris Carter thinking about bringing Millennium back

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, Gotham Gal said:

SmokeyPSD & FrankBack, Jr.:  Gosh, I personally hope they don't give Frank a new wife if they bring the show back.  The new female lead in the show should be Jordan.  Given how much time has elapsed, the role wouldn't necessarily have to be played by Brittany Tiplady if she didn't want to return to the show, but think how wonderful it would be to see her as an adult.

I'm with you, Jordan should be the female lead.  I honestly don't think there's a woman out there that Frank Black could love more then Catherine, and it would just be wrong to me to have another woman.  If they did, it couldn't be anyone else but Lara Means.  Yes, seeing Brittany Tiplady as an adult would be awesome.

I honestly think the link to the year 2000 is overstated. Whilst the date countdown was ever-present on Group members' desktops, Millennium could easily fit into the modern world. For me, it was less about the clock chiming midnight on December 31st 1999 (or 2000!) than it was about the much-referenced "anticipatory anxiety" of the Nineties that was also a big part of The X-Files, and which of course has given way to a fairly grim post-9/11 world in so many ways. To me, the series was much more about millennialism and eschatology (c.f. Daesh as surely the prime contemporary example) in a more generic sense, and therefore could all too easily fit into today's world.

Here's hoping The X-Files continues its remarkable new run and that this gives Chris Carter et al fresh impetus and bargaining power at the negotiating table.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Adam Chamberlain said:

I honestly think the link to the year 2000 is overstated. Whilst the date countdown was ever-present on Group members' desktops, Millennium could easily fit into the modern world. For me, it was less about the clock chiming midnight on December 31st 1999 (or 2000!) than it was about the much-referenced "anticipatory anxiety" of the Nineties that was also a big part of The X-Files, and which of course has given way to a fairly grim post-9/11 world in so many ways. To me, the series was much more about millennialism and eschatology (c.f. Daesh as surely the prime contemporary example) in a more generic sense, and therefore could all too easily fit into today's world.

Here's hoping The X-Files continues its remarkable new run and that this gives Chris Carter et al fresh impetus and bargaining power at the negotiating table.

Yeah completely agree with this. It was about something terrible coming and sure enough the world has become a darker place. Millennium has a more relevant place than ever I think.

• Like 2

I'd like to see Frank use his gift to tackle the demons of our post-millennium angst (such as the likes of Daesh), which make Y2K look almost quaint by comparison.  

Would the Group of today have millennialist visions of peace, justice, and prosperity, or apocalyptic visions of pestilence, war, and famine?  

A somewhat different direction, perhaps, but appropriate for the times.  I'd wager there are lots of interesting new adventures for Frank in this world.

• Like 1

it's fantastic to actually hear Chris talk about "MillenniuM" again but as long as it's on FOX i do think the chances of a return is slim to zero, unless they tailor the focus onto Jordan as the main character.. sorry to be a downer, but Lance is what now, 75? they thought he was way too old in the first season and had reservations, and for a 75 year old man to be a lead character in a series of this nature, i just can't imagine the suits signing off on that.. i don't think it has ever been done, unfortunately. sorry to be a downer and let's hope i'm wrong

1 hour ago, claaa7 said:

it's fantastic to actually hear Chris talk about "MillenniuM" again but as long as it's on FOX i do think the chances of a return is slim to zero, unless they tailor the focus onto Jordan as the main character.. sorry to be a downer, but Lance is what now, 75? they thought he was way too old in the first season and had reservations, and for a 75 year old man to be a lead character in a series of this nature, i just can't imagine the suits signing off on that.. i don't think it has ever been done, unfortunately. sorry to be a downer and let's hope i'm wrong

I understand this concern, and let's not pretend it's not a consideration to some degree. Lance is a very young 75 and remains an energetic and commanding presence, though, and still works constantly. Added to that, I think nearly everyone who wants to see Millennium return wants to see Lance as Frank Black and a continuation/resolution of his story; it's one of the main reasons for bringing back Millennium at all. I'm less keen on the idea of having Jordan step up as the lead character, but Chris Carter has mentioned cross-pollinating with The X-Files—which certainly makes business sense—and went on record as saying that he had an idea involving John Doggett. Something like this is, I think, a potential way to go and a way that this could happen.

• Like 1

Adam, don't get me wrong.. For me personally, I would absolutely 100% want to see Lance back as Frank Black.. Lance is still making movies today and looks healthy, what I mean is that i don't believe it will happen because the network executives is unlikely to put on a show with a 75 years old lead actor in the one starring role. possibly a channel that takes more chances with their programming, but FOX? i seriously doubt it... unfortunately

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, claaa7 said:

Adam, don't get me wrong.. For me personally, I would absolutely 100% want to see Lance back as Frank Black.. Lance is still making movies today and looks healthy, what I mean is that i don't believe it will happen because the network executives is unlikely to put on a show with a 75 years old lead actor in the one starring role. possibly a channel that takes more chances with their programming, but FOX? i seriously doubt it... unfortunately

Oh, I completely agree with you; I am merely preparing our counter-argument! As I say, it's no used pretending it's not a problem. Hopefully, however, if the topic of Millennium comes up again then Carter is smart enough to have already considered it and some potential ways around it.

I think the current climate of revivals and commercial distribution shake up that we're seeing is working in the favour of ageism in the industry in general. Suddenly those old forgotten roles and actors are of interest to the powers that be. Great productions are coming out going against the idea that someone like Maggie Gyllenhaal is too old when she's 38 (!!!!). Fox is clearly aware of the changing landscape with The X Files returning.

Lance is unique in that he has never really slowed down in his output too so he's in a better position than most for a return to a main role like Millennium I think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SmokeyPSD said:

I think the current climate of revivals and commercial distribution shake up that we're seeing is working in the favour of ageism in the industry in general. Suddenly those old forgotten roles and actors are of interest to the powers that be. Great productions are coming out going against the idea that someone like Maggie Gyllenhaal is too old when she's 38 (!!!!). Fox is clearly aware of the changing landscape with The X Files returning.

Lance is unique in that he has never really slowed down in his output too so he's in a better position than most for a return to a main role like Millennium I think.

Again, I completely agree with this. Millennium was something of a trailblazer in so many ways, but not least in its casting of a relatively older lead even during its original run, not to mention one with a stable (at first) family life. Let's hope the shifting landscape and the unique mature of Lance work in its favour.

• Like 1