Chris Carter thinking about bringing Millennium back

Rate this topic

While I’m fairly sure age discrimination is still alive and well in Hollywood, as it surely is elsewhere, it would surprise me if Lance’s age would be the real basis for Fox not bringing back Millennium.  Lance is an in-demand actor who works regularly and has even championed the series’ return.  And if the character’s age wasn’t a factor then (and I’ve never heard it alleged that it was, although I could certainly be unaware of it), then there is no reason it should be today, so long as the actor is in good health.  Lance’s presence and voice embody Millennium, and I think it would be inconceivable to do the show without him.

That said, it would be satisfying to find out how Jordan turned out as well, and terrific to see Brittany return to the role, although theoretically, another actor could be “sold” as an adult Jordan if she didn’t want to do it.  It wouldn’t necessarily have to be a significant role, but there are some great possibities, I believe.  Since the character would now be an adult, she could be put in more grave jeopardy without it being as off-putting as it would be if the character was still a little girl.  That jeopardy could even be the impetus for Frank to come out of his presumed retirement.

A cross-pollination of X-Files and Millennium is less appealing to me, despite technically being in the same universe and a vision of the same creator.  Not only would you effectively have three protagonists, you’d have three stars to service -- not a particularly enviable task from a writing standpoint.  Thematically and tonally, they’re different shows, too, and trying to make one or the other something they weren’t meant to be might not resonate all that well.

I do think the Group as an entity would have to return in some incarnation.  Whether the Group turned out to be an antagonist, partner, or catalyst is the writers’ prerogative, but “will they now be good guys or bad guys?” could be the central question of a really compelling new story, I think.  The composition of the Group could possibly be Peter Watts (if, as I would hope, the character didn’t die and Terry O’Quinn wanted the role), Emma Hollis, or altogether new characters.  

Retrospectively, the amazing thing about Millennium was its sort of hybridization or compositing of story types within the same series -- something that would be harder to effectuate today with the shorter seasons.  Yet, while picking up the mythology would be challenging under such circumstances, it would also be highly rewarding for original viewers and topical enough to hook new ones.

JMHO from the bleachers...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gotham Gal said:

While I’m fairly sure age discrimination is still alive and well in Hollywood, as it surely is elsewhere, it would surprise me if Lance’s age would be the real basis for Fox not bringing back Millennium.  Lance is an in-demand actor who works regularly and has even championed the series’ return.  And if the character’s age wasn’t a factor then (and I’ve never heard it alleged that it was, although I could certainly be unaware of it), then there is no reason it should be today, so long as the actor is in good health.  Lance’s presence and voice embody Millennium, and I think it would be inconceivable to do the show without him.

That said, it would be satisfying to find out how Jordan turned out as well, and terrific to see Brittany return to the role, although theoretically, another actor could be “sold” as an adult Jordan if she didn’t want to do it.  It wouldn’t necessarily have to be a significant role, but there are some great possibities, I believe.  Since the character would now be an adult, she could be put in more grave jeopardy without it being as off-putting as it would be if the character was still a little girl.  That jeopardy could even be the impetus for Frank to come out of his presumed retirement.

A cross-pollination of X-Files and Millennium is less appealing to me, despite technically being in the same universe and a vision of the same creator.  Not only would you effectively have three protagonists, you’d have three stars to service -- not a particularly enviable task from a writing standpoint.  Thematically and tonally, they’re different shows, too, and trying to make one or the other something they weren’t meant to be might not resonate all that well.

I do think the Group as an entity would have to return in some incarnation.  Whether the Group turned out to be an antagonist, partner, or catalyst is the writers’ prerogative, but “will they now be good guys or bad guys?” could be the central question of a really compelling new story, I think.  The composition of the Group could possibly be Peter Watts (if, as I would hope, the character didn’t die and Terry O’Quinn wanted the role), Emma Hollis, or altogether new characters.  

Retrospectively, the amazing thing about Millennium was its sort of hybridization or compositing of story types within the same series -- something that would be harder to effectuate today with the shorter seasons.  Yet, while picking up the mythology would be challenging under such circumstances, it would also be highly rewarding for original viewers and topical enough to hook new ones.

JMHO from the bleachers...

Personally, I don't believe Lance's age is as much a factor to bringing back Frank, my concern is his health.  So we are in agreement here.  Yes, he is busy, but some of his parts have been small and less physically demanding.

In the fan movie MLM Apocalypse, there is a woman who plays Jordan, and really does look like she would look years later.

Basically, I'm sure we all would appreciate anything with Frank, even another X-file episode, just to see his character again.  Plus, they could have a movie, or create a miniseries, without further commitment.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

I'm not at all surprised that Chris Carter would like to bring Millennium back. In some ways, MM was more his baby than XF. Prior to XF he had a fairly good track record, but it was showing Fox his unusual idea for XF that gave him his break. He's often attributed his XF episode of "Irresistible" as being the precursor to MM; and it's probable that Fox only permitted that episode because the network was trying to be "edgy" and promote itself while being the "new kid on the block". Though Fox did insist that the episode was to be about a "death fetishist" rather than a necrophiliac.

I often wonder how MM would have developed if CC had been able to focus on the show, rather than having to go back to XF. He clearly wanted to explore the nature of evil, and how that gets displayed by humankind, and how so very few people can recognise it.

I don't know how MM can be revived. Lance is certainly still capable of fronting a TV show. He is older, but he still has that screen presence. The only thing I can think of as a possibility is from a drama-doc called "Homicide Hunter", though I'd only think of it as taking the title: "Millennium Hunter". That could incorporate the name of the show, while signifying that the world didn't end at the millennium, but the evil continues, and it needs a rare person (and his daughter) to see what others can't.

• Like 1

THe Millennium Group has been one of the victims of changing writers.   In Hand of St Sebastian, it was told that the group was thousands of years old..... But in matryoshka, it was implied that  Hoover and his boyfriend sort of invented the group   chose it's symbol.    If you toss the Matryoshka  sideline, then you have a  group that is nearly 2000 years old, if not THAT old plus..... That would make the group a continuation of thousands of years of people working to  save humanity... therefore the term and the group would not be made irrelevant because we have passed the  year 2000

• Like 1

yes BillQS! First for the amazing success that it had all over the world (the level of audience was insane) and another thing that might gives me a little hope is (big X-files spoiler alert...3...2..1..ok)

that mess that Mr. Carter did in the last episode. Let´s say that the level of Conspiracy that he did was...I don´t know...it left the MG as Boys Scouts. That's why there might be a liiiiitle door open for a character like Frank to appear to balance the forces. I mean, it is kind of the apocalypse. So it would have a lot of sense.
thoughts???

M OURO.gif

• 6 months later...

Well, silly me that i did not noticed this thread and already said my opinion elsewhere, but yet again and finaly in correct thread...

1. I really dont think that bringing a group would be a good idea, for one, they killed so many, for second, thanks to The x files Millennium episode even Skinner kind of confirms that group doesnt exist anymore and the Necromancer is kind of left over to overwatch the succes of end of the world by those zombies, which and i apologize for this was horrible unsatisfaying as hell, like zombies, really?

2. I dont think that another crossover with The x files would be good, since last time it really didnt worked well, yes there was kind of greatness watching Mulder, Scully and Black working together, they are great and inteligent characters and theyr brainstorm together was really interesting to see, but the story which needed some supernatural thing to happen because it was still part of The x files was just forced and did not result in any kind of likeable resolution.

3. Timing for bringing Millennium back cant be even better, there are so many theoryes that year 2000 was not supposed explode our planet or just kill the all humankind in one day, but that is the beginning of the end, look what is happening right freaking now, so many wars and conflicts, religious problems, this is the ideal time for this story to happen..

4. Finally, story i do think that would be great and honest would be bringing back the Legion theme, especially Lucy Butler, not only that the character itself was having i think most inteligent storylines which was writted in MM, but logicaly, that is the only force which didnt and cant just parish or be destroyed as actual Millennium group itself. I would suggest that Frank would be retired and Lucy would want to kind of collect special people on her side awaiting the real Judgement day which is because of wars and religion differences unavodable, as i believe that last time Lucy through young Lucas tryed to reach little Jordan ( "Who is stronger Frank? Me or you?") to her grasps and just failed, she could once again try to get her as a adult woman through her complicated ways ( that we all know and love ), forcing Frank came back in action in his quest ( and i still believe that was the main story of a whole MM ) to protect his family from evil, for the old sake there could be old member of Millennium group in form of Ema ( i did like her actually ), and together they could solve cases which points on finding Lucy and real end of the world, Ema should be still part of the FBI for obvious reasons and Lucy would be shapeshifting her way to Jordan and actually tempting her on her side, Jordan would doubt but then again, its a motherfluster Lucy Butler, not much peope can do that much about this fact... So in the end we could have a episodes about murders pointing on end of the world and mythology would be encounters with Lucy schemes.... 

5. Frank having a love interest would be idiotic, of course...