Chris Carter thinking about bringing Millennium back

Rate this topic

Timeisnear, I sure appreciate your post here.  Gave me a chance to unload something that I've been mulling over.

Something to keep in mind, there are at least 14 calendars of any given year that has 7 days in a week, some with or without a leap year.  Then there's all the other world-wide calendars, starting at the Bronze age, 1000 BC, 713 BC, 1st Millennium BC, then centuries, dynasties, ages, multiple Medieval, multiple Gregorian, and even including Indigenous.  Then there's the traditional and culture calendars, 9 with more the 5 days to a week, and of course the non-Earth, or fictional calendars.  So just as Einstein said in explaining Relativity, "Time is an illusion."  And the farther away from the Earth you would travel, the slower time would pass by.  In reality, "Relativity is just a method for two people to agree on what they see if one of them is moving."  Stargazer Nation has an awesome video about this subject.

"Einstein explained that when two objects are moving at a constant speed as the relative motion between the two objects, instead of appealing to the ether as an absolute frame of reference that defined what was going on. If you and some astronaut, Amber, are moving in different spaceships and want to compare your observations, all that matters is how fast you and Amber are moving with respect to each other"

Having said all of this, I see no reason why there couldn't be a new Millennium Group.  Why?  Because now there's a new year to be concerned with, 2038.

Per Wikipedia ~ 
The Year 2038 problem is an issue for computing and data storage situations in which time values are stored or calculated as a signed 32-bit integer, and this number is interpreted as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970 ("the epoch").[1] Such implementations cannot encode times after 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038, a problem similar to but not entirely analogous to the "Y2K problem" (also known as the "Millennium Bug"), in which 2-digit values representing the number of years since 1900 could not encode the year 2000 or later. Most 32-bit Unix-like systems store and manipulate time in this "Unix time" format, so the year 2038 problem is sometimes referred to as the "Unix Millennium Bug" by association.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

New title for the show,  "Unix Millennium Bug."  (Unix (/ˈjuː.nɪks/; trademarked as UNIX) is a family of multitasking, multiuser computer operating systems).  And just imagine the possibilities of Legion and Lucy Butler in all of this.  Naturally Frank would be involved, but betting Jordan would contribute a larger part since Frank isn't, and never was, a technical person.  Naturally Peter Watts would have to still be alive since he seemed to always be ahead of the game.

Earthnut: Well you get so scientific  on this that i am quite speachless...hehe...

Well, yes you are right in that there is a possibility in that, i never said that new Millennium group couldnt be created, but, i meant more like it would be cliché and forced in viewer stand of point, you just throwed at me a real and logical explonation which is 100% true, but tell me as a just tv viewer, would you like to see this new group? Its the same thing with other tv series which are not allowing theyr main villains die, yes in the beginning they was manacing, but after so long of rehashing they are simply as a gimmick, i dont want MM group starting to be gimmick, i dont want them there just because they need to be there, if they will return it really needs to have a great explonation, and of course who wouldnt want to see more of Terry O´Quin, but it has to be explained properly... Look on The x files 10 season, CSM is back because its a trademark, no one can survive a freaking rocket but there he is, all of the mythology doesnt even connect on a 9 season, because...reasons... they just stuffed UFO and William and virus and thats it... I kind of like it but still that is exactly what i dont want to have in new Millennium, and thats why Lucy is a logical conclusion, returning of the old group would has this cliché feel, Peter Watts is dead, dont make from him a highlander, even Lance says it in one interview, he meet a 45 calibur in face, just dont revive him only because he is a trademark name ( doesnt matter if i liked him ), new group would feel as a gimmick, at least new MM, there could be another fraction, like was Owls or Trust, i dont deny that, but not MM itself... Soooooo, group is mortal, people are mortal, world order is mortal, only one thing was and always will be are these heavenly and hellish forces, thus logicaly i did thinked about a Lucy and other force which will eventually happen in a future, which is actuall end of our planet, and mainly from the tv standpoint this is what i feel would not betrayed us as a viewers...

I can't take any credit, I just did some research and poof, there it was.

The thing to remember about the MLM Group, is there were/are two factions, as you well know, Owls and Roosters.  And basically, in a nutshell, the two are science vs religion.

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/the_millennium_group.php

I tend to lean towards the spiritual side, not religion, and of course I love profiling.

Here's something on the page of the link that I think sums it up.  

The Group struggles to understand evil, in both biblical and scientific contexts. Biblically, they research cases where a supernatural evil is assumed present to understand true evil. Scientifically, they promote the study of the minds of serial killers, even going so far as to recreate some. The Group continues to fund research into bio-genetic science that may someday allow a lifeform to be physically separated into "good" and "evil" entities.

Evil is always present, it just manifests itself in ga-zillion multiple ways.  I especially like Ken Gire's writings and insight.  I quote from his book, "The North Face of God," one of my favorite books.  This should be the vow for the new group.

The enemy has never been more relentless, never more cunning, never more ruthless.  A daunting decision stands between us and that enemy.

We can sheathe our swords in retreat.  We can lay down our swords in surrender.  We can fall on our swords in despair.  Or we can, with the brave who have gone before us, draw our swords and ride with full fury into the enemy’s ranks.

A day may come when your courage and mine will fail.  A day may come when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship.  But it will not be THIS day.
THIS day we fight.

I also absolutely love a quote from The X-Files by Fox ~

Did you really think you could call up the Devil and ask him to behave? Even the devil can quote scripture to meet his needs.

• Elders (Moderators)

I like the idea of focusing on the Legion theme. Bringing back the MM Group would be problematic, not least that what the Group was supposed to be had varied over the seasons, and, of course, was made nonsensical by the XF episode. But Legion is more vague, which means it could be anyone, anywhere, which is more scary (at least to me).

• Like 1

There's enough going on in the world to stimulate decent story lines that would fuel both the "owl" and "rooster" factions. Homeland and 24 have got it pretty much sown up in the terrorism and associated action field and Orphan Black has taken us down some very interesting genetic development paths, but there's enough for some good script writers to bite on.  

I know not everyone would agree with me but I think it'd be best to downplay the millennium group in a continuation too. A return to season 1 sensibilities and exploring religious extremism more based in the current context of now. The comic and x files one off tells me the lore has just gotten a bit too muddled to bring continuation/closure to the threads of the group. Each season is great because they're unique so I would be happy if they weren't so concerned with trying to follow on too much. 

Sorry i haven't been around much guys, had a lot of health/pain problems this year.  

"A day may come when your courage and mine will fail.  A day may come when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship.  But it will not be THIS day.
THIS day we fight".

Did you know Earthnut that exact speech was used in "The Return of the King" (LOFT)? Aragon gives that speech to his army when they are standing outside Sauron's fortress, trying to make them fight outside  to give clear road to Frodo to reach the Mount Doom to destroy the ring. (yes, that was totally nerdy hahaha)

Anyway, everytime Mr. Carter was asked about Millennium possible return, he said that he could do that but it would be focus in Frank's character, not in the MG. That it would have to be something new. So, I guess it would have "the Pilot" spirit. I'll bet the first scene with Frank would be him taking the newspaper, like he did in "the pilot" and in the first episode of the third season. I always thought that Mr. Carter did that scene in the third season as a statement like "I'm back in the show" (due he was out in the whole 2 season).

And though I loved most of the ideas of the 2 season, (all the mystique around the Mg and the idea of controlling the world)  I didn´t enjoy the idea of Jordan having also the "gift". The original idea was that Frank could do what he did because of his hard work and knowledge of evil people, not because he was somekind of clairvoyant. He wasn´t born with a gift.
So I understand and support why Lance was mad about that change. I think Mr. Carter was also annoyed by that because that changed completly the character (in my opinion, baddly. It turned him in some kind of comic hero with powers). And doing that, you can´t relate with the character and that, I think is one of the keys of Frank´s character. To sympathize with a person who suffers and loses everything to protect his family and all that is good.

• Like 1

Yes Junior, I do know, and Ken Gire is real good at spiritual insights of movies, so I am sure it's a quote, unless of course Peter Jackson borrowed from Ken.  Maybe we should compare and check the years.

It would be wonderful if MLM returns, and I hope it's soon.  Frank isn't getting any younger, and focusing on Frank is so much better then the group.  They could even bring in regulars from the series, former members, and really make the show interesting, like Lara Means. Peter Watts (Terry O) would probably end up being a guest since he's so busy, but I am sure he would accept.

I agree, the scene with the paper could be CC making a statement.  Good catch.

Frank's "gift/curse" was really never made specific.  I personally believe it was a combination of them both.  He does have spiritual vision, just lacks the understanding that goes with it, and I believe that was Lara's problem with her angel; she had the vision but not the understanding of it.  Most people are not aware that you can have spiritual vision.  Plus he does have the training/experience to go with it.  For the viewing audience Frank's "gift" would have to be more knowledge and wisdom then spiritual, unless CC can come up with come unique way to educate the viewers.

• Like 1

That scene when Sauron speaks to Aragorn (trying to seduce him like he did before with Isildur) and then Aragorn turns to Gandalf (who´s face has turned to stone fearing that Aragorn has turned into evil) and says: "For Frodo" and starts running forward facing the end. To watch your King doing that...plus the next to follow him are the 2 little hobbits screaming...always gets me :) 
No matter if it is a movie, to see people facing the worst and saying: "F***** it, I have to go anyway!" always inspires. Maybe that is why I like Frank Black character so much.

ps: sorry about the f**** but I think that is the exact expression for that kind of situation XD

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Earthnut said:

Yes Junior, I do know, and Ken Gire is real good at spiritual insights of movies, so I am sure it's a quote, unless of course Peter Jackson borrowed from Ken.  Maybe we should compare and check the years.

It would be wonderful if MLM returns, and I hope it's soon.  Frank isn't getting any younger, and focusing on Frank is so much better then the group.  They could even bring in regulars from the series, former members, and really make the show interesting, like Lara Means. Peter Watts (Terry O) would probably end up being a guest since he's so busy, but I am sure he would accept.

I agree, the scene with the paper could be CC making a statement.  Good catch.

Frank's "gift/curse" was really never made specific.  I personally believe it was a combination of them both.  He does have spiritual vision, just lacks the understanding that goes with it, and I believe that was Lara's problem with her angel; she had the vision but not the understanding of it.  Most people are not aware that you can have spiritual vision.  Plus he does have the training/experience to go with it.  For the viewing audience Frank's "gift" would have to be more knowledge and wisdom then spiritual, unless CC can come up with come unique way to educate the viewers.

Once I approached season 2 as a bit more of a individual thing, I enjoyed it more. I still don't agree with the direction it took with Frank's ability, it especially felt at times that different writers were treating it differently with no cohesion, even season 1 isn't immune. For me it came out of years of experience and exposure and closely tied to the Millennium group being based off the real life counterpart of the Academy. I remember Lance somewhere saying why would you make these guys the bad guys? 

How it treated evil/supernatural too felt simplistic too, in season 1 there's always ambiguity which got thrown out but it's still some of the best episodes in the series.

Lance hasn't been looking to good in some pictures, he definitely isn't getting any younger even though he's still working just as hard :(