Sign in to follow this  
Libby

“New Tricks” – BBC detective series

This show ran from 2003 to 2015 – but, as is typical of BBC series, there were short seasons of, at most, 10 episodes a year.

The premise of the show is the work of UCOS – Unsolved Crimes and Open Case Squad – a branch of the Metropolitan Police (sometimes referred to as “Scotland Yard”). Until recently, I’d never heard of the show. But I’m catching up, as it’s recently being shown on two different satellite channels, and now is being shown again on BBC TV. My Sky box recorder has never been so busy!

Over the extent of the series, there has been some changes in actors, but what UCOS has always been is a 30/40-ish female senior detective in charge of a team of three male retired police detectives. The plots and resolution are fascinating in their own right. However, I do particularly like the fact that age has nothing to do with the ability to solve crimes - they might have wrinkles, but they still have the smart!

I like to think that Frank would probably have fitted in with that team. Sure, they would probably have mocked him for his accent and his methods, but they do that with every new member.

This show probably wouldn’t have crossed over to the US or the rest of Europe. But if by chance it did make its way on to some obscure network, I recommend checking it out.

Later episodes on Youtube.  Can't get season 1 on it.

I can get them, and there's a total of 11 seasons, but even one episode is way too big to share here once downloaded.  Sorry.

If either of you has watched an episode, do you have any difficulties with some of the accents? One character has a noticeable working-class London accent, and another has a noticeable Glaswegian accent. There has, for a long time, been the assumption (on both sides of the Atlantic) that regional British accents can't be understood in the US; which I've always had difficulty believing, given that the US probably has a wider range of accents than the UK.

I have difficulty hearing I think, which makes the accents harder to understand.  Lately I notice even with the good speakers, I don't always pick up conversations in shows... But other than that, I don't notice too much of a problem.  But yeah some accents  "over there"  are difficult to understand. It's when they have a thick accent and talk really fast that I  miss a word here and there.   Is Glaswegian meaning from Glasgow? Because the Scots, some of them I just can't understand.  Too much accent, too fast in speech, and phrases I have not yet learned!  Billy Connolly okay.  Craig Ferguson okay. But some sound like they are speaking foreign languages even when theya re speaking english!   But then again I"m southern.  We talk slow, maybe we hear slow too, LOL!!!!!!

Good show what I've seen of it.  On youtube they  cut  the picture of on bottom and top.  So I mostly just listen to them while I"m  nodding off to sleep. I hope Netflix will carry it one day

Yes, Glaswegian is Glasgow. Not sure why it's called that, rather than Glasgowan or somesuch. (Mind you, there's Brummy for Birminghan, and Mancunian for Manchester. We English have been mangling the English language for a very long time.) Scotland is a much larger country than even the English realise, so there's a wide variation of accents. Some accents are beautifully clear, but a Glaswegian accent can be problematic even for other Scottish people.

I did find those youtube vidoes, but there's a lot that can get missed out by the missing bits of the picture. And, anyway, I prefer having subtitles.

I do like the episodes that get solved with the help of computers, which shows that oldies can be clever with technology.