Libby

Windows10 support (and rant!) thread

I have mostly survived the change to Windows 10 on my three systems - two of them were upgrades from Win7, but at different times. So, I got used to Win10 on my desktop, then upgraded my laptop. My tablet came with Win10 pre-installed, so I was pretty used to it by then.

Then there came the big update - known as the "Anniversary update". That ran easily on my laptop and my tablet, though took quite a bit of time on each.

I don't often use my desktop - only for rather techy stuff such as ripping DVDs or using scanning (ocr/pdf) software. But I turned it on this afternoon to transfer my birthday CDs to my iPod. I was greeted by the message that an update was needed. Obviously, this was the "Anniversary update" so I settled in for the long haul.

But, no. Apparently it had detected music/videos that might not work with the new version. I transferred the likely culprits to my NAS, and tried again. Nope. I then spent ages transferring just about everything it could possibly be complaining about (mp3, mp4, wma, mpg). Tried again. Still complaining. Gave up at that point and gave it the go-ahead. I guess I'll find out in due time if something won't work anymore.

I'm currently using my laptop, and out the corner of my eye I can see the desktop monitor with its twirly, twinkling stars. I'm not going to get up from my comfy sofa and walk the three paces to see how far it's got.

There, that's my rant. Join in with your rant, if you wish.

(I'll do as much support as I can, but only when I've stopped swearing. :fuyou_2: At least with tantrumming toddlers there's a chance of finding out what's wrong - tantrumming computers are completely incomprehensible.)

I bought a ebook but it won't download on my old Kindle but is now on my old laptop .  ' 100 tips for Windows 10 for beginner, boomers and seniors '   the second which is coming is  soft cover  ' Windows 10 for Seniors in easy steps ' .  hopefully they are helpful.  going to take notes before my new computer has been made ready and getting some fixing on my old one , so in about two weeks [ or so]  I will be off line for some time while its being done

edit : WIFI back in action an ebook has loaded to my Kindle !  yeah !   

Edited by Walkabout

I switched on my desktop today. All seems well, so far, though I didn't test out any of the techy stuff. All I wanted to do was transfer my birthday CDs to my iPod. That was a faff. Nothing to do with Win10 - all to do with iTunes seeming to operate in completely different ways every time I use it.

A Win10 book sounds very useful. There are adverts here for a Readers Digest help book. At least books don't need a working computer and wifi.

Technically, all the usual software should work fine; it's the user-interface that's completely different. But that's the bit we need to get through before we can get to our usual programs. Here's a couple of pictures of my laptop set-up:

This is what I get when I press the Start button, and it also shows what programs I have on my task bar:

Start button.PNG

This is what's on the other side of the task bar:

Task bar.PNG

Took a while to get it mostly how I wanted it to be. The "Life at a glance" annoys me. I'll have to see if I can change that.

Edited to add: Yes, I can change it simply by clicking on it.

Libby, I feel I can speak for both Walkabout and myself when I say that we really do appreciate this thread.  It will be great to have someone to ask questions to.  Thank you.

I have Windows 7, and have had to re-install the operating system twice since my upgrade from Vista, and I've had a new hard drive put in it.  It's running slower then it should, and I am concerned that I am going to need a new computer soon.  Something I dread because I know I will have to learn Windows 10 when I do.  I have so much on this computer to clean up as well.  I think it will help when I open it up and clean the dust out again.  Computers are dust magnets, and to keep it cool by circulating the air, I run a small fan.

I might not have the answers - but I can certainly share the pain! Just getting the start button to reflect my wants, rather than what Microsoft thought, was a nuisance.

Then there's Cortana... Then there's the settings/security...

But at least I could do it all in stages, and my tablet was brand-new so didn't have any personal stuff on it.

My desktop computer is a tower unit that sits on the floor. On floorboards in a draughty, dusty house. Goodness only knows what I'd find if I had a look inside.

hopefully the computer geek will be able to save me some pain by setting my Windows 10 start similar to whats on my XP .   that would be a great help.  also found out instead of a password to get on to my computer I can use a 4 digit pin instead !  

This isn't a Win10 rant as such (though I'm not sure that Win10 wasn't involved), but I've had problems with my computers recently. Last week, my desktop suddenly decided that it had no connection to the router and hence neither the local network nor the internet, despite the fact that it's connected via Ethernet cable. I did the standard thing of disconnecting/reconnecting the cable from the computer (no luck) then disconnecting/reconnecting the cable from the router (no luck) then rebooted the router (no luck). Did as much troubleshooting as I could (no luck). Fortunately, I usually only use the desktop for local techy stuff.

Then my laptop started having intermittent connection problems, and yesterday it gave up entirely, although at least it told me that another device on the network was using the same IP address - though, of course, I had no idea what to do about that.

So I was reduced to using my tablet, which has a slightly smaller keyboard which means I keep hitting other keys. My daughter was here earlier, and suggested that maybe it was a Win10 upgrade that was mucking things up. Eeek! If that's the case, then I could lose connectivity from my tablet as well. How can I start the day without (a) the news (b) the weather (c) my favourite online crossword puzzle which at least shows me that my brain is working.

My son, of course, solved the problem in a matter of seconds, as usual. My laptop decided to behave itself.[1] The desktop was a bit more problematic but solved by doing cmd - ipconfig - renew. Something like that. He's promised to email me with details, which I shall print out and put in my "computer" file for future reference.

So, was it a Win10 update, or maybe a router update?

Could have been dust getting into my desktop, which is on the floor. Certainly I got a bit dusty digging out the Ethernet cable which was hidden under a whole load of things I'd piled on top of it.

Oh, sheesh, maybe that's it. Maybe I need to be kinder to my equipment and actually do some housework in my den. :scary-spider-smiley-emoticon:

[1] A well-known phenomenon here. There have been quite a number of times when his mere appearance has caused equipment to behave itself.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Libby said:

This isn't a Win10 rant as such (though I'm not sure that Win10 wasn't involved), but I've had problems with my computers recently. Last week, my desktop suddenly decided that it had no connection to the router and hence neither the local network nor the internet, despite the fact that it's connected via Ethernet cable. I did the standard thing of disconnecting/reconnecting the cable from the computer (no luck) then disconnecting/reconnecting the cable from the router (no luck) then rebooted the router (no luck). Did as much troubleshooting as I could (no luck). Fortunately, I usually only use the desktop for local techy stuff.

Then my laptop started having intermittent connection problems, and yesterday it gave up entirely, although at least it told me that another device on the network was using the same IP address - though, of course, I had no idea what to do about that.

So I was reduced to using my tablet, which has a slightly smaller keyboard which means I keep hitting other keys. My daughter was here earlier, and suggested that maybe it was a Win10 upgrade that was mucking things up. Eeek! If that's the case, then I could lose connectivity from my tablet as well. How can I start the day without (a) the news (b) the weather (c) my favourite online crossword puzzle which at least shows me that my brain is working.

My son, of course, solved the problem in a matter of seconds, as usual. My laptop decided to behave itself.[1] The desktop was a bit more problematic but solved by doing cmd - ipconfig - renew. Something like that. He's promised to email me with details, which I shall print out and put in my "computer" file for future reference.

So, was it a Win10 update, or maybe a router update?

Could have been dust getting into my desktop, which is on the floor. Certainly I got a bit dusty digging out the Ethernet cable which was hidden under a whole load of things I'd piled on top of it.

Oh, sheesh, maybe that's it. Maybe I need to be kinder to my equipment and actually do some housework in my den. :scary-spider-smiley-emoticon:

[1] A well-known phenomenon here. There have been quite a number of times when his mere appearance has caused equipment to behave itself.

Not able to reply to everything you wrote Libby, but I will say that the other morning I didn't have any connection, and once I unplugged my modem from the electrical outlet, and plugged it back in, it worked fine.  Sometimes electronics need to be completely disconnect because static electricity builds up, and disconnecting is the only way to clear it.

The Internet has been the pits lately.  For starters there's way too much traffic, and then all the security protocols are not just slowing things down, but in some cases, crashing.  Google Chrome started having Captchas at every site I would go to, and IE keeps giving me the closing error message.  I had a tech tell me that some of this stuff they do intentionally.  Gee, thanks.

My kids gave me an old laptop, so I am going to follow Windows instructions on how to reinstall Vista, and then upgrade to 7.  Doubt if this laptop can handle 10, plus, I don't want 10 or have any CDs for it.  I won't be going online much with the laptop, just writing, etc.  Sure hope and pray that I don't mess it up.  Thank goodness I do have a tech now to contact next week in case I totally crash the laptop.  Then on top of things I need to change out one of my DVD drives for a new one, prepare for a back up and the do a back up.  Not sure I have the patience for all of this.

never had Captchas , just Chrome not liking my XP anymore and slow internet speed .  now with time between holidays I need to bite the bullet and get going on W10 .

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.