Earthnut

New Gadgets & Rainmeter

Question

Well, I'm in a state of confusion, and as usual it's the terminology that's throwing me a curve ball.  Frank's gadget is default, and when I clicked on the Rotating Ouroborus, I now have two.  Trying to figure out how to remove the 1st one with Frank.    It was easy to change the name, and took awhile to change the remaining days.  The first couple times it didn't give me any instructions.

Yippee, just removed the Frank gadget.  I clicked on unload after right clicking on the Ouroborus and going to "manage skin."

Also, I like a clean desktop, with little on it.  I don't use shortcuts.  I just go to the start menu and open what I want to open.  Now I have a date and time, system info which is good, and disks, and I really don't care to see any of them.  Removing them worked the same way, right clicking and going to "manage skins." and clicking unload.  Now I have to figure out how to load them, and how to remove the Welcome skin from the desktop, but still be able to access it.

I know, I'm a mess.  But thinking this new post might help everyone who downloads the gadgets and has questions or problems.

The Old Man likes this

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Earthnut said:

Yippee, just removed the Frank gadget.  I clicked on unload after right clicking on the Ouroborus and going to "manage skin."

Hi Darlene, firstly thanks for trying out the gadget pack! Asking is how we learn, don't worry! 

Yes, you can just have 1 gadget/skin loaded, or several! It's completely up to you. I'm greedy and like them all 'Loaded'!

The Welcome gadgets are part of the so-called Illustro demo pack of gadgets that come with Rain Meterto get you started and so you know it's working. You can just right-click on any and all of them, one by one, to Unload them once you're bored with them.

I appreciate that Rainmeter's terminology can be a bit confusing and nerdy, they could have made it more friendly and less geeky, but once you understand how to 'load' and 'unload' the skins (Rainmeter's fancy name for Gadgets or as some people call them, Widgets) and how to switch if a skin has more than one or different variants (like the Ouroborus and Pumpkin gadgets), that's about all you need to know. Suddenly it clicks in your head (if you've had a good coffee first!) and you think to yourself, "Oh, I see! Yes, I get it now!" Then you can do it quickly.

You found 1 way to remove or close a skin, you can certainly use that method, but there is actually an even easier way, without having to go to the Manage screen/control panel first...

Just 'Right click' on any gadget and you'll see the pop-up menu, at the bottom just click on the Unload option.

Check out the tips guide/topic I made, which shows you with pictures, how to easily Load (display a skin/gadget), how to Unload (switch off a skin/gadget), and how to see if a skin has more than one variant, like the rotating Ouroborus one, and if so, how to switch between the variants or variations.

To Load a new skin, as in the help topic, the quickest way is to right-click on any open gadget and on the menu choose the M-TIWWA group of gadgets and then choose which you want to see.

If you don't have gadgets at all on your screen (loaded), instead go to the Manage control panel by double-clicking on the Rainmeter raindrop icon by your clock (or if you prefer, right click on it and choose Manage), look at the list of gadgets and simply double-click on them to Load them (as many as you like), or click on the Load button to load the one you have selected from the list.

Hope this helps!

Earthnut likes this

Graham, you are wonderful for taking the time to explain.  Yes, to me, terminology is the main reason why people have a hard time understanding programs.  I just don't understand why they have to make it more complicated.  Thank you so much for the helpful tips link.  All of this isn't just helping me, it will help others from now on who decide to download and run the program.  There's bound to be a question that hasn't been covered.  On the other hand, you are very precise, and there may not be anymore questions.  :thumbsup:

My favorite is the rotating Ouroborus, and for starters I have the date set on my birthday in June; 75 days remaining...LOL  It was the only date I could think of to practice with, and also know the time, which if I remember correctly, it can be set at 00 if you don't have a time.  It's really cool to be able to change the countdown.  I have it positioned above my clock and date on the task bar at the bottom.

Love, love, love it!  :23:    Thank you again.  :hug:

The Old Man likes this

same thing with medical people , getting them to talk in plain English is not always easy .  luckily I understand most of it unlike tech- talk which is like Klingon ! 

The Old Man likes this

On 2 April 2017 at 7:31 PM, Earthnut said:

Graham, you are wonderful for taking the time to explain.  Yes, to me, terminology is the main reason why people have a hard time understanding programs.  I just don't understand why they have to make it more complicated.  Thank you so much for the helpful tips link.  All of this isn't just helping me, it will help others from now on who decide to download and run the program.  There's bound to be a question that hasn't been covered.  On the other hand, you are very precise, and there may not be anymore questions.  :thumbsup:

My favorite is the rotating Ouroborus, and for starters I have the date set on my birthday in June; 75 days remaining...LOL  It was the only date I could think of to practice with, and also know the time, which if I remember correctly, it can be set at 00 if you don't have a time.  It's really cool to be able to change the countdown.  I have it positioned above my clock and date on the task bar at the bottom.

Love, love, love it!  :23:    Thank you again.  :hug:

Thanks Darlene, I think the rotating Ouro is my favourite too! I want to recreate the Roedecker version with it eating itself. Either that or Frank's animated Pumpkin which I have left as it is, counting down to Halloween! 

Yes you can just enter 00 for the hours and 00 for the minutes for midnight on the day of your choosing.

Walkabout and Earthnut like this