Libby

Thread for the Great and the Good who are nameless

There has been another terrorist attack in England this weekend, in London. They call themselves Muslims, but that’s not what they really are. The following showed up on my Facebook timeline, because it was “liked” by a FB friend. This is what true Muslims are:

I'm incredibly proud of our team at The Royal London and Barts Health. The response to the call was outstanding from all.

There is something the world should know about that team. 3 extremist with warped views of the world committed horrific acts of hate.

100s of muslims were part of the amazing teams that responded to this incident, doctors, nurse, technicians, receptionists, police officer, paramedics and so many more. When You think of the word Muslim I want you to think of the Muslim nurse that ran our casualty triage area, the Muslim surgeon who operated all night, the Muslim technician that helped arrange transport home for discharged casualties, the Muslim security officer that ran our relatives reception area, the Imams from our Muslim chaplaincy that stayed all night to help comfort the casualties and so many more.

There are loads of people who are great and good because, even in small ways, they make our lives just that little bit better.

I went to one of our small local supermarkets today. I would never want to work in retail, because they can get so much abuse from customers, especially the drunks. The young woman on the checkout was lovely, and we had a giggle about how slow the card machine was working, "must be because it's Sunday". Such a tiny little thing but it was just that human connect, if you see what I mean.

When I developed the rash, and google-diagnosed it as shingles, I phoned my GP practice just after 8 a.m. on the Monday (their busiest day). When I mentioned "shingles", the person on the phone immediately booked me in with one of the practice's nurse-practitioners for 11 a.m. that day. The nurse diagnosed shingles and prescribed meds to reduce the effects, approved the pain-relief schedule that I'd already put myself on, treated me as a sensible individual, and encouraged me to come back if things weren't going well. That's two people who cheerfully looked after me that day.

The great and the good aren't always the big and the famous.

• Like 1

Excellent post Libby, and I totally agree, "The great and the good aren't always the big and the famous."

In a Southern town of Oklahoma, a man named Cash Freeman saved lives.  Here's the story ~

Leland, was trying to drown his twin 3-month-old children in the bathtub, and threatening the mother with a knife.  A 12-year-old ran from the home and alerted a neighbor, Cash, who ran over and shot Leland twice in the back, killing him, after seeing him holding the babies under water and the knife on the mother.  The babies were taken to the hospital in stable condition, and Cash was questioned and released.  Cash said he felt he did the right thing, but was worried he may be in trouble.  The D A's office will decide whether the killing was justified and if Cash will face charges.  Leland had been charged in 2011 with domestic abuse by strangulation and arson.

I believe Cash was justified in shooting Leland, and I am sure the mother and her children would totally agree.  Sure, Cash could have physically fought him, and in the fight, one or both of the babies, or the mother, could have been seriously injured or killed.  Leland was committing an evil act, and as sad as it is to kill another person, I believe it was the only way Cash could have stopped him from killing the babies, without harm to anyone else.

Having said all of this, both men were black.  We could hang a sign and announce to the world saying all black men are evil and dangerous, but that would be untrue, a lie.  We had one who was doing an evil act, and the other who stepped in and saved lives.  Same thing with Muslims.  Not all Muslims are evil/bad.  And if you compare the numbers, a very low percentage of Muslims are evil.  The fact is, once they become evil, they are no longer considered Muslims, they are terrorists.

So my conclusion is, "good person vs evil person," and, "humanity vs terrorism."  The great and the good should always be mentioned first.

There should be no other titles.

That's just about the clearest case of justifiable homicide I've ever read. Cash Freeman is indeed one of the great and the good.

23 hours ago, Libby said:

That's just about the clearest case of justifiable homicide I've ever read. Cash Freeman is indeed one of the great and the good.

Yeah, I thought so too.

Really makes you wonder what is going through some people's heads.  Some are obviously frightening thoughts.  Like the mother who put her children in the trunk while she went shopping, or the other mother who killed her kids in a lake, drowning them in her car.  OMG