Earthnut

Updating Profile Images

Question

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/tiwwa/profile/3933-earthnut/?tab=field_core_pfield_52

I went to Photobucket, signed in, and when I was updating my profile the images of my family did display, but when I saved all my changes, nothing changed.

As you can see, they are asking me to update my account to enable 3rd party hosting.  They are also asking for $399. to upgrade, which is website suicide to me.

My question is, "Is there anyway to upload images to insert in our profile from our computer, rather than using a website?"

I've read where Imgur.com and imgbb.com are 2 of the better ones with image links, also listed were Dropbox and Free Image Hosting.

The Old Man likes this

2 answers to this question

Hi Earthy,

Just read up on this. Apparently it was a hugely unpopular thing to do and has caused such a backlash even the BBC covered. I honestly can't imagine anyone paying that,mother should permit you to download a copy of any photos. 

Yes lots of choices, you can upload an image onto TIWWA, link to the URL of an image hosted online, link your TIWWA account to your Twitter or Google account to sync your to use your Twitter or Google profile images, or if you use Gravatar we support that too. 

In terms of online image hosting and sharing, in no particular order, I think Dropbox and Google Photos are the leaders, followed by Flickr and Imgur. Pinterest is laid out very nice but I'm not sure about image linking, possibly more of a social network like Instagram.

Google Photos

I love the simplicity of the new improved Google Photos (unlimited storage too) and it's great for taking a photo with any connected device like a phone or tablet, it instantly uploads and syncs to their Cloud servers (or next time you connect to WiFi, if you prefer), so your photos and images are synced and available on all your devices. The search tools are incredibly clever as you would expect from Google saving you time tagging things, it will show you results from your collection of say dogs by searching for dogs, even if the image or photo of a dog is named something obscure like IMG39586 or whatever.

You can create shared albums, and it will show you event or special occasion photos from the same date a few years ago for a fun reminder. The assistant is handy but offers a lot of tools and things you probably won't look at more than once. It keeps improving. Google Drive is excellent too, for photos as well as documents, but remember if you use both to not sync your Google Photos and Google Drive's Photos folder with each other, or your space will fill up in a loop!

iCloud/Photos

Apple's iCloud does pretty much the same thing but limits you whereas Google is well supported everywhere on the website, Windows, iOS, Android apps, etc. I have an iPad 3 and a Windows 10 PC, and I can see my photos from either device or my computer, they automatically sync as soon as you switch them on. However I'm not sure if you can link to an image via a URL, I don't think it allows that.

Dropbox

Dropbox is very easy to use and again can auto sync new photos you have taken like Google Photos if you have the Dropbox app for your phone. You can link to images most types of files and they give you generous storage space with bonuses. 

For example, sign up for a free account using my referrer link below and we both get free extra storage space, you can then do the same by referring a family member or friend. Install the Dropbox app on your PC, so Dropbox appears like a normal Windows folder but one that auto syncs with all your devices, they reward you with yet more free space. 

https://db.tt/LmR3HXiw

Onedrive

I've not yet needed to use Microsoft's OneDrive, so can't say if it allows image linking. 

In terms of sharing photo storage, Flickr, Imgur, DeviantArt, are all very good. 500px, Jing, also quite good. Some limit you on space or storage retention time, so you may need to check.

Some other thoughts from Livewire:

Imgur

If you’ve spent any time at all on Reddit, you probably already know that Imgur is the social news community's favorite free image hosting site for Redditors. You don’t even need to sign up for a free account if you'd rather not, and you can still upload photos in stunning quality within a blink of an eye.

Images from your computer can be uploaded to Imgur to be shared on your favorite social network via a unique URL, or within the Imgur community itself. You'll want to use the official Imgur app to use it from a mobile device too.

Best for: Uploading photos (plus animated GIFs generated from videos) as quick and painlessly as possible without losing their quality, to be shared anywhere online – especially social networking sites.

Max image size/storage: 20 MB for all non-animated GIF images and 200 MB for animated GIF images. More »

Google Photos

Best for: Automatically backing up photos that you take, uploading large quantities, uploading high-quality photos, editing them, organizing them, and finding them again later using visual search.

Max image size/storage: Unlimited free storage for photos taken by smartphones and point-and-shoot cameras (16 megapixels or less) plus the option to alternatively use your limited storage space from your Google account for photos taken by DSLR cameras. You can also upload videos in 1080p HD. More »

Flickr

Best for: Editing your photos to look their best, creating albums and social networking. You can also choose to publish your photos under Creative Commons licensing to allow others to use your photos with attribution.

Max image size/storage: 1 TB (1,000 GB) of free storage space. More »

500px

Best for: Social networking with other photographers and licensing or selling your photos.

Max image size/storage: Since 500px is more of a social network and photography portfolio site than a simple image hosting platform, it doesn't specify any file size or storage restrictions, but you can upload very large JPEG files. As a free member, you only get to upload 20 photos per week. A $25 annual membership gives you unlimited uploads and more features. More »

Dropbox

Best for: Sending or sharing individual photos or folders of photos with others.

Max image size/storage: 2 GB of free storage with the opportunity to earn extra free storage by inviting other people to join Dropbox. 

Posted (edited)

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply and info. Mr. Old Man.  :280:  I will copy and paste it in case I need it later.

Been searching myself and found a free site ~ cubeupload.com

It's user friendly and obviously works great because my pictures are now displaying again in my profile.  Changed and added a couple too, like my new grandson born in April.  He's so cute.

I had trouble with a couple of the other sites.  I  uploaded but wasn't able to get a direct link to post them.  I also forgot that I have an account with Dropbox, which I will visit soon and update myself on their services, and already have pictures at Google, so I do need to go there and update.  Appreciate the reminders.

Thanks again, and hopefully this thread will help others.  :ouroborous:

Edited by Earthnut