Mr. Robot

Gotham Gal

• Elders (Admins)

I liked Mr Robot at first, a lot of promise but I got a bit bored and frustrated with the drug abuse and self loathing towards the end of S1, if I'm honest. I watched the premiere of S2, but it seemed to be a bit boring. I need to revisit S2, as I really want to enjoy this show.

🤖

• Like 1
  • Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

21 hours ago, The Old Man said:

I liked Mr Robot at first, a lot of promise but I got a bit bored and frustrated with the drug abuse and self loathing towards the end of S1, if I'm honest. I watched the premiere of S2, but it seemed to be a bit boring. I need to revisit S2, as I really want to enjoy this show.

🤖

Same thing with me, I started season 2 and just couldn't get into it.  It was just the same old, same old, and the "drug abuse and self loathing" really lost me.  As behind as I am with TV shows, it may be awhile before I watch this again.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Old Man and Earthnut, I think you jumped the gun too early on this one. I think I know the scenes you didn’t like. It’s one thing to be dark; another to be depressing and the drug scenes were the latter. But be assured it’s not a major focus of the story. I can’t speak for Sam Esmail, of course, but I suspect these scenes were put in to show just how unreliable a narrator Elliot is. Without spoiling, I can say the rest of season 2 ends with a twist some of us saw coming, but what was really fun to watch unfold as it also gave us some backstory on this character, who really is intriguing.  Season 3 received much better reviews than 2, though I liked both. Season 3 gets darker, has some really interesting reveals, provides insightful backstory for some characters who we wouldn’t necessarily consider major. And I got the gift of having my least favorite character off the show. If Rule#1 of screenwriting is :  Don’t Bore Me, this show succeeds in spades for me. I’m just never bored watching it. It’s original, intriguing, and dark—all the things I value in tv.  Plus in season 3, Kor Adana made sure the tech was real, a plus for you, Old Man. 

Thanks for the info. G G, appreciate you taking the time.  I might check it out later.  Really in to The Handmaid's Tale, which also is a very dark story, but oh so good.

EARTH-----> Hi Mr. Belch

NUT

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I think most shows should end after a few seasons, otherwise they get drawn out and even boring, plus often they're grabbing at straws for stories.  Glad to hear Sam is using common sense.  Grimm was a perfect example of running too long, and to me it's time for The Walking Dead to end.  Then there are shows that can go on and on, like NCIS and Criminal Minds, because the story lines are endless.  MASH is another one that was so good, and the reason I think it had to end is the actors had grown out of the parts.  Plus, the war in Korea did end.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

I agree.  I've often said TV writers don't know how to write endings.  First, they never know when it will end, and second, the plug gets pulled before they can figure it out.  So, yeah, in this case, Sam had written it as a feature originally, so I think he had an ending in mind when he the chance to turn it into a TV show.  Yes, M*A*S*H (and the Korean War) did end, unfortunately in the former instance and fortunately in the second, but I think comedies have more staying power than dramas as they're more character-driven than plot driven.  JMHO.

• Similar Content

• By Gotham Gal
      The mini-series Chernobyl, based on events at the nuclear site, was quite good. I watched in over the New Year. This is Craig Mazen's baby. While I don't consider him the most imaginative TV writer on Earth, he is nonetheless a very competent one, and ideally suited for this type of project.  These type of events IRL are worth remembering when we get haughty as human beings. Anyone else see it?
    • By Gotham Gal
      Star Trek Picard is two episodes in on CBS All Access. I'd recommend it if you like sci-fi and have at least a passing interest in Star Trek incarnations.  It's been set up very skillfully for a potentially intriguing story re: Romulans, Data, Borg, and of course, Picard, now retired (not really). I like it better than Discovery, which I couldn't (or at least haven't) finished. On a positive note, it's been renewed for next season, so no worries about cancellation at least for a year or so.
    • By Gotham Gal
      Just binged S-3 of Amazon's "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" (a comedy) which is a really easy watch. It's about a young woman in the late '50s/early '60s (Lenny Bruce era) who finds she's got some talent in stand up comedy and takes to the roads to fulfill her dreams.  Good serialized period piece.
      Is anyone else enjoying it?
    • By Gotham Gal
      Thought some might want to chat about this show.  The new season (2) is off to a good start.  Elisabeth Moss plays her role so well.
      By Guest
      I think the writers of 24 did a funny again because I thought I heard Jack Bauer give out a real cell phone number (they did it a few months ago in an early episode of this season) in tonight's episode: 11:00 PM to 12:00 AM.24 is riveting as ever. Now I'm tempted to call Jack Bauer as "Prancing Jack" by the way he pranced into CTU early in this episode. Wow, it must be nice to have CTU be so near and Jack must prance right in to make it into the scene.
  • 10 Recent Topics

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines