Howdy Folks

Hey. Hi. I remember coming to this site like ten years ago or so when the show was on syndication on fx, watching weirdly ordered smattering of episodes, never quite picking up on the continuity of the mythos. So now I got them DVDs loaded up on the big screen, kick back and watch Frank Black trek the future past. I'm currently on the episode Monster I think, where Frank Black faces child abuse in a personal sense.... The ending of that ep, oohboy. I thought the greatest schism between S1 and S2 was just how manipulative and creepy the Millenium group is presented... it's really just so sudden; although there is a lot of continuity. It's just the tone shift that's so sudden. Anywho, I love to post and I'm sure I can choo choo across the train tracks like nobody's business!

• Like 3

Welcome Jabbapop.  Yes, the change with how The Group is depicted changes markedly, due largely I think to the fact Chris Carter became less involved in Season 2.  Personally, S-2 is my favorite for that very reason, but plenty of people have debated that here!  Morgan-Wong period was so wonderfully dark.

• Like 1
  • Elders (Admins)

Welcome back to This Is Who We Are!

Let me know if you would your old account merging with your new one.

I know what you mean, it was quite a scene at the conclusion of Monster. I find this aspect of Millennium somfascinating, it ties in with how the Group had the foresight to ensure access to science and scientific knowledge more so than any other. 

The Group studied the nature of evil as we know, putting the child with a Group member's family was quite a risk, for a number of reasons!  There again, remember back to Lamentation where Frank revealed he was responsible for the FBI's behavourial science unit studying Dr Fabricant to learn more about what him think, rather than sitting back whilst the state carried out the death sentence. Not too dissimilar in a way, and before Frank came to understand the underlying nature of  evil in far more greater detail.

In A Room with No View and later in Antipas, we began to understand more about how Legion seemingly 'recruited' and expanded their legion, when someone was killed (they went to hell?) later returning reincarnated as a manifestation or tool of evil, e.g. Lucy Butler who was previously Annie Martin in 1911 , and Davina Saxum, the target of nanny Lucy Butler's obsession. Research would confirm her footprints matched that of Lucy's deceased child - the child she was accused of murdering long ago. Davina was killed by the serpent, but immediately adopted the personality and nature of evil when seen with Lucy. The scene where they are both together with Lucy stood behind her, I think tells you so much...

Facinating stuff!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I don't think I've ever posted here before, but I do remember checking some of the site content.

Had to skip over the last paragraph of your reply @The Old Man. Don't want to spoil the rewatch. :-p

It is interesting, thus far, the way the story elements in S1 integrate into the storytelling of S2, despite the shift in focus/tone.  Frank working with the prospective Millennium candidate going thru a divorce on the Dead Letters almost harkens forward to the difficulties Frank will have in his marriage. The muffled secrecy of Frank's pager and making careful to keep his family separate from his work, to the point of meeting Peter Watts outside the home early on hint at even greater schisms in season 2. (So far, it even seems like the Millenium group is benefiting from Frank's family problems! Contrast that with the offers of employment from "Legion," who promise family security and safety to Frank in exchange for his occupational efforts!) Not quite a "serial drama" we're so used to, like with Breaking Bad, but there is definitely that attention to continuity and consistency between episodes in how the characters act. The show is doing a good job of creating interest and mystery while parceling out "definites" like bread crumbs. (This is a Chris Carter show after all!)

• Like 1

Not only do I believe the group benefited from Frank's problems, they contributed to it.  Catherine was a strong woman with an incredible insight and observed everything she could, and then had the wisdom to keep a lot of it to herself, but still seeing and knowing.  This to me intimidated the group, and they wanted her out.  I really believe she was a threat to them.  She also had the ability to be very spiritual, and, very practical at the same time, which was very evident in Anamnesis.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The MG drove a wedge between Catherine and  Frank.  It  kept her on the outside looking in.   I think it wanted Frank, and wanted Frank's full attention, full time,  and in it's assessment of Catherine, realized she would not be as easy a mark as Frank was in the brainwashing department.   From the very first episode, she's  left out.  Watts wouldn't even knock on the door!  He sat in the car, which  was sinister , and  then  cut to Catherine telling Frank  she doesn't want the secrecy.

They  really did a number on that family!  With Lara Means it was easy, she was estranged from her family, apparently not married, not involved...

12 hours ago, seesthru said:

They  really did a number on that family!  With Lara Means it was easy, she was estranged from her family, apparently not married, not involved...

What is disappointing to me is we never had any kind of closure with Lara Means.  We all loved her character, and of course all the guys loved her.