New Homes

Rate this topic

Jabbapop

When I first watched the show, I didn't like her..I thought she was nagging, getting in Frank's way.  Years later I watched it with more mature eyes, eyes that have seen so much more.... and I really think she was, along with the Old man,  the one person who was rooted in reality,  in love,  and compassion.  She was trying so hard to keep her family together, keep Frank sane and  stable ,and the group was exploiting every weakness they found in him.   She had to fight their influence, the influence of the things Frank saw, fight the danger Jordan was in, and on top of it all still be a caring social worker, a great mom, and  a supportive wife.  WOW!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, seesthru said:

When I first watched the show, I didn't like her..I thought she was nagging, getting in Frank's way.  Years later I watched it with more mature eyes, eyes that have seen so much more.... and I really think she was, along with the Old man,  the one person who was rooted in reality,  in love,  and compassion.  She was trying so hard to keep her family together, keep Frank sane and  stable ,and the group was exploiting every weakness they found in him.   She had to fight their influence, the influence of the things Frank saw, fight the danger Jordan was in, and on top of it all still be a caring social worker, a great mom, and  a supportive wife.  WOW!

BEER-----> What did you think when they separated?

BELCH

36 minutes ago, beerbelch said:

BEER-----> What did you think when they separated?

BELCH

I totally agree with seesthru about Catherine, who is my favorite character, and not just for all the reasons mentioned above, but for so many more.  It hurt to see them separate, but I understood why after all they had been through, and to me, Catherine just needed some space and time to process it all.  I doubt very much if she ever even thought of a divorce.  She just needed time.  When push came to shove, they were reconciled and together again, in the cabin.  Sadly, that's when we lost her.  I was so thankful for the awesome episode "The Sound of Snow," that brought Frank needed healing.

Honestly?  When I first watched the show, I though " Good now more Frank, more mystical stuff, less Catherine nagging"  I wanted Frank to end up being a Lone wolf, in on some of the secret meetings, and even getting initiated.  I wanted to see him do more with the group, things get darker and scarier.    I thought at first she was even more naggy with him after the split.   You know, when he went to the church for Jordan's pageant in Midnight of the Century, I thought that guy with Catherine was her date!  Only much later did I realize it was a random guy.

But even then, when he told her he was leaving the group and then didn't because of the earthquake?  I had to side with her on that one.   I think at that second, it seemed irreparable.

I have to say I didn't like the women in his life when the show was on TV.. Catherine and Lara kind of catty  to each-other,  Lucy Butler being, well Lucy Butler..  and I sensed a burgeoning attraction between him and Lara... I didn't think that would have been a good idea.

Later when I watched it, knowing it was coming, I was thinking NOOOOO!!!!   Don't do it!  Don't kill the guy, don't do what they want, don't leave the family!  Leave the group!

You know that guy, in   the episode where the guy gets killed by the car wreck, and the song  "in the year 2525"  was playing... the outbreak one.  That dark haired guy that pulled up and was talking about " The responsibility OF the responsibility"  He seemed foreboding but I liked that guy! Still like that scene, that speech.

Anyway,  age made me appreciate Catherine more and more.  I still think though, she was a bit harsh with the Angel thing.  SHe knew Jordan couldn't help it, but yeah, looking at what state Frank was in, I do understand her knee jerk reaction.

That is the difference between me  then and me later, and now.

The sound of snow was a good one.  We finally  got to see what happened.  I though, after Frank looked out the window, that he turned around, collapsed and his hair turned white.  He had to choose to stay with Jordan or leave  and find Catherine.  After all it was his suggestion that if it were him he'd go out in  the woods, and he said he couldn't kill her if she got sick.  but he stayed with her, then went insane, and Jordan went and got help.

I often wonder, if they had given Catherine the vaccine, would Jordan have lived? The group wanted her for the future.  Wouldn't  they have found a way to vaccinate her without anyone knowing?   But there's no way Catherine would have taken the chance. and ultimately she had to choose.  Frank showed her the vaccine, and had this look like what do we do?  Catherine didn't hesitate.   She really was the stronger of the two . I didn't see it then.

I was so angry and heartbroken that they killed her off though.,  and that they made Lara insane.  I might not have appreciated them, but when they "took them away"  I was upset!  Though, I did like Emma Hollis.. She was spunky!

15 hours ago, seesthru said:

I was so angry and heartbroken that they killed her off though.,  and that they made Lara insane.  I might not have appreciated them, but when they "took them away"  I was upset!  Though, I did like Emma Hollis.. She was spunky!

Although this is TV and we understand how these things work, I thought it was in universe a little too convenient that after Frank loses everyone, he just happens to gain this partner, or could we even call her "Work wife." I like to imagine that the spirit of Catherine from beyond the grave called Emma Hollis to Frank to give him support. Definitely adds a little bit of layer to the cake!

Emma was a good partner for Frank and helped to keep him stabilized and focused, just like Catherine always did.  But when Emma's own personal life (sister, father) entered into the equation, then poof, things changed.   And of course at the end she basically sold herself to the group, even though she didn't want to have anything more to do with them.  Her father's life meant more to her than her future and her own life.

I totally agree with spiritual guidance from those who have crossed over.  The thing is, we ARE a spirit, living IN a physical body, and we HAVE a mind and emotional realm.  The problem for most people is their spirit is weak and the other areas are strong, taking over their entire life, dictating everything they say and do, when the spirit should be the strongest and in control.

The moral of the series is don't be Frank's wife or work wife.  He loses them all.  Catherine was the love of his life,  Lara was a work wife, support member, and as he said, the only one who understood what the abilities he had did to him.  Then Emma, who latched onto him with an iron will.  She I think was more like a daughter to him though.  Or a niece, little sister...  He was the mentor.  But she believed in him, right up until the group forced her to choose between him and her father. The group knew, she'd lost a mother and a sister.... she was hanging on to family tooth and nail.  

I just watched  the episode where the rich guys are prepping for the y2K thing, and one of the kids shoots up a school. When Frank is going there, Emma shows up.   Jordan asks if Emma is going with Frank...  I couldn't tell if it was  supposed to be a hopeful tone or maybe a worried jealous tone...  I wondered if Jordan was hoping for a new mother figure, or worried that Frank would too soon forget Catherine... 

Personally, if Emma and Frank had gotten together had there been a season 4 or 5... She'd have been a hoot for Jordan. Ballsy, brash, bold, but compassionate, tender, fierce, loyal...But, that wasn't the nature of that relationship.  It was mentor and mentee.  The only one I think he'd have  gotten together with would have been Lara, and that would to be because she would be the one person who would also understand Jordan.  BUT... Lara had joined the group. and gone insane.