Antipas- Where were the MG?

Rate this topic

Jabbapop

Just finished this episode. I know a lot of people liked it, and I could enjoy it as entertainment, but it seemed a little pastiche to me. Just a hodgepodge of a lot of cliches from genre movies and some unresolved mystery to keep interest churning. Can we really believe all of Lucy Butler's baroque machinations and clue dropping were really just to get Frank's attention? Whenever Lucy Butler is involved there's always a kind of nefarious plan, but what is the actual fruit? How does this all speak to the nature of evil in any meaningful way? Anywho, that aside, my main question after watching was: where were the Millennium Group in all this? In the past they've shown extreme interest in her, putting an agent on surveillance in an attempt at monitoring her whereabouts. Surely with their tentacles in all departments of law enforcement, they'd have caught wind of her presence at least after Frank had.  Narrative wise, I can understand why the show-runners would want to keep the scope "tight," focusing instead on Frank's relationship to Lucy, but in terms of verisimilitude to the universe created, I can't believe the Millennium Group would drop interest just because Frank is no longer a prospective member. If a potentially influential politician and is family are coming under the "spell" of the devil incarnate, surely they'd want something to do about it.

Edited by Jabbapop

19 hours ago, Jabbapop said:

Narrative wise, I can understand why the show-runners would want to keep the scope "tight," focusing instead on Frank's relationship to Lucy, but in terms of verisimilitude to the universe created, I can't believe the Millennium Group would drop interest just because Frank is no longer a prospective member. If a potentially influential politician and is family are coming under the "spell" of the devil incarnate, surely they'd want something to do about it.

I totally agree with you on the above quote, but unable to comment on anything else until I watch the episode again.  It's been awhile, and haven't watched it as much as others that are my favorites.  This one isn't.  Good point; where's the beef?

different theories:

1. Lucy is a group affiliate.... after all who better to scare up new acolytes than the devil?

2. The group allowed Lucy to do her thing at Antipas because it's   "introducing"  Emma  to  the wilder side of the world, wants to see how she reacts... Frank is an unwitting ally with the group in that case...

3. The writers forgot  the group when they wrote the episode...

First I would like to point out that the meaning of the word "Antipas," which is "enemy of all."  Naturally I believe it is referring to Lucy "the devil" Butler, and after reading the synopsis of the episode, I believe that the group wasn't involved, not just because of it being her, but the need for Frank, with his ability, to handle this case alone, especially since it involves a state attorney general who was about to announce his candidacy for governor.   I think the group needed to keep a low profile here, not knowing what the outcome would be, and Emma had to be removed to keep things low key.    And of course we know how close Frank and Lucy got in the motel room.   That experience would scare some of us to death, and certainly did a number on Frank, seeing Lucy and then a demon.  Then when Emma knocked on the door and said she was called, I can only assume that the group was aware that Frank couldn't handle this alone and they called her, using his voice.  Even computers back then had voice recognition.  And, there were also trying to solve another case of the death of a detective, now finding out that they could be related, and Lucy is the murderer. 

It was a good episode, and one of the few that highlights the "long-haired man," Lucy "the devil's" male side.

• Like 1

Good write-up Earthnut!

I had thought maybe Lucy Butler called Emma... perhaps wanting to take her out. But, then I thought the group did.  After all we KNOW Peter watts can splice voices together, as he did when getting the old Man's voice code  so he could look up the virus.  The group probably had been recording Emma for a while... They'd been watching her I think since the first day she met Watts.  They like Frank, saw something extraordinary in her.  

I figure if Lucy called Emma, then she wanted to take out the competition... if the group did, it was another  test to see what Emma was capable of dealing with.  If you can deal with Lucy, you can pretty much deal with anything!

I believe Lucy is a shape shifting demon.  She and Mabus would make some lovely shape shifting kids, eh?

I remember sincerely hoping that Lucy had simply projected herself into Frank's dreams, that those two hadn't really  "connected"...

Here's my thing ~

Emma was no competition for Lucy, but probably more of an inconvenience or annoying disturbance.  Emma was very intelligent, but no match for Lucy.  I'm sure the group called Emma,  or at least Peter, to help Frank, and remember, she wasn't a member yet, she was being observed.

To me, all demons are shape-shifting, because they  are spirits that operate and deceive us in our mind and emotional realm, and how even Satan can be seen as an "angel (messenger) of light."  Demons also are very lustful, and I'm not speaking of sex, that's a tool they use, but more so of creating havoc and death.  They lust for us to be evil doers through their deception, which is what we see with killers.

• Like 1