I love Peter Watts excuses about the Group

Rate this topic

"Collateral Damage"

[Frank leaves the building. Across the street on a grassy area stands Peter Watts. Frank sees him and hesitates, as if to walk on, then goes over to Watts.]

FRANK: She's your daughter, Peter. You know, they don't even have a name for what you're doing.
WATTS: I'm doing everything I can to get her back. Do you think we're not trying? The Group took a big hit when you left.
FRANK: Don't flatter me.
WATTS: That's the truth.
FRANK: You don't even know the truth anymore. What do they want? How many times have you talked to them?
WATTS: It's immaterial. Their demands are never going to be met.
FRANK: Never be met by you? Her father?
WATTS: Not by me, by the Group.
FRANK: Desert Storm. Is that what this is about?
[Watts doesn't answer.]

FRANK: What's the Group's involvement?
WATTS: Group intelligence helped the US keep casualties down to a hundred and forty–seven.
FRANK: Another lie.
WATTS: Then stop asking me questions you know I can't answer! You know I can't.
[Watts now is almost crying.]

WATTS: Will you help me find her?

"Good bye to all that"

WATTS: You've always seen the Group through clouded eyes.
FRANK: No, I saw clearly.
WATTS: Our faults, yes, but never what we were attempting to do. Man has made a mess of Eden. Our greed is only eclipsed by our tribal stupidity and our brutality.
[Frank looks at him as Watts spouts the party line. Watts's mood seems lighter, as though he wanting to believe this.]

WATTS: We are rushing toward an apocalypse of our own creation.
FRANK: This is cult propaganda.
WATTS: No, fact, Frank. Maybe not the end of the physical world, but the end of a world that is worthy of human life. And that's not that something that the Group invented, that's what the Group is trying to prevent.
FRANK: You mean control.
WATTS: No, no. I mean, attempting to preserve human values that are worth preserving. We're shepherds, Frank, all of us.
FRANK: What did you say?
WATTS: Choosing the future. It's already happened, Frank.

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/transcript/322/goodbye-to-all-that/

Colateral damage.png

Good bye to all that2.png

Dead2.png

I don't know. I didn't believe Peter was a bad man. A true-believer, yes, but evil? No. Who knows? Maybe in the future, he's the one who turns the Group around and it becomes what it was originally meant to be, though I admiit, I haven't watched for many years at this point.

• Like 1

In season 1 he was a believer.  in season 2 he  had his eyes opened by Frank, and  found out it was always about control.  In season 3 he was a pawn, and  afraid  for his family and his own life.  The group had him  locked  in, because he'd done things with the group, on it's behalf...  and the group knew even before Peter did, how he would act and react, I think.   It was a cult, and he was   trapped too far in to ever get out alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1