Rate this topic

Catherine was a threat to everyone because she had the ability to see through people, and see the truth.  Yet, at the same time, being a social worker, she was a practical person.  Catherine kept Frank balanced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Earthnut said:

Catherine was a threat to everyone because she had the ability to see through people, and see the truth.  Yet, at the same time, being a social worker, she was a practical person.  Catherine kept Frank balanced.

Definitely, Catherine was suspicious of Peter Watts and the group from the beginning, and she picked up on the evil Odessa vibe all by herself. And by God did she know Frank. Catherine was seriously underused and killed off due to lack of ambition.

• Like 1

Catherine was killed off because she was a threat.  Yes, she was underused, but ambition was not her thing, family, truth, and stability was always foremost.

CATHERINE:  I can handle imposition, Frank. What I can’t handle is secrecy.
[He sits on the bed next to her. She sits up.]

FRANK:  I don’t keep secrets, Catherine. I’ll tell you anything you want.

CATHERINE:  You think you’re protecting me but you make it worse, Frank. You can’t shut the world out for me. You can’t ask me to pretend that I don’t know what you do.

FRANK:  Everyone pretends. We all make believe. These men I help catch - make us.

CATHERINE:  We’re raising a daughter, Frank. The real world starts to seep in. You can’t stop it.
[He looks at her intensely.]

FRANK:  I want you to make believe that I can.

[She kisses him on the forehead.]

The kiss shows her love, support, and to give him a piece of mind, whether she believed he could protect them or not.  After she was abducted and watched Frank stab a man in front of her, she just couldn't take anymore and needed some space.

Thankfully they were together again before she died.  Sad ending for sure.

She's always been my favorite character.

• Like 2

When I first watched the show, I thought Catherine was just  a nag, always fulling at Frank. The second time I watched the series, I was blown away at how wrong I was about Catherine.   I realized she'd been so patient,  trying to guide Frank, when he just wouldn't listen. He kept telling her he would get out, and he didn't.   He kept telling her he didn't lie to her, but he did, by omission.   Catherine couldn't be a stepford wife. She couldn't look the other way like the other wives.

I'm not sure what the writers were thinking when they killed her character off.  I don't know if it was a contract issue, or if  the actress wanted to do other things,  or if they thought they were heading in a direction then lost sight of where they were headed.    She was a great character.

• Like 2

Interesting that Chris Carter wrote the part of Catherine Black with Megan in mind.  And it was his suggestion to kill her off in "The Time Is Now." 

You might enjoy reading the 1996 interview with Megan posted at our sister site ~

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/cast_interview.php?name=Megan+Gallagher&id=5

and

https://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/scifiandtvtalk/2011/04/sci-fi-blast-from-the-past-megan-gallagher-millennium.html

• Like 1