The Leftovers

The Old Man

• Elders (Admins)

Recently I got chance to watch the rather brilliant US-based series that is The Leftovers, which is currently available on Sky's Box Sets, here in the UK. I saw the pilot a few years back but for some reason I didn't see any more.

This was such an original show in many aspects, I got absolutely hooked after a few episodes and ended up 'binge watching' a few episodes a night. I saw all three seasons in about 2.5 weeks and was surprised not to find a topic about the series here. Based on a book, the series is produced by Damon Lindelof, who I'm fairly sure was one of the creative chaps behind Lost.

It's not really Millenniumistic as such, but there were a lot of moments that caused me to recall scenes, thoughts and events from Millennium. There was even an episode called Ten Thirteen! Sometimes I was reminded of the brilliance and best aspects of The Stand. There is also as much dark humour at times in the artistic choice of music as there is the story.

The show, if you've not yet seen it, basically picks up a few years after millions of people worldwide of all ages, gender, class, race, backgrounds and walks of life bizarrely and suddenly disappeared all at the same time in a mysterious, world changing event, which many believed to be The Rapture, or start of End Times. Others interpret the event with scientific and even alien abduction overtones and perspectives. Some believe it may be reoccurr, and so the government are trying to discover possible links between the disappearances to explain and find out answers whilst hoping to avoid a reoccurrence.

The Leftovers asks a lot of questions and makes you think about our existence, purpose, our interpretation of what's next, cause and effect etc whilst focusing on the effects of the 'Sudden Departure' on those left behind. 

6933C73D-9C71-41EC-9868-0DA1D91BA119.jpeg

The characters and acting are all excellent, Christopher Eccleston (former Dr Who)  in particular, is brilliantly cast in his finest acting role yet. 

The concept of the watching, silent, chain-smoking mysterious people in white are intriguing. 

The journey the main characters face can be violent, dark, funny and filled with humanity and emotion, whilst showing both the good and evil in all of us. 

At times the series is thought provoking, at other times almost too painful to watch as you have such empathy with the characters, then there are the emotions, the questions, the artistic and sometimes literal interpretations, the answers, the implications and the wonder of possibilities.

It may not be for you, but I personally loved the style, the darkness and the light of the interpretation, the music, the atmosphere darkness. I urge you to check it out and open your mind to the possibilities. 

• Like 2

Millennium - This Is Who We Are

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community staff and autohides content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Just as I was cutting back on TV series, poof, The Old Man introduces me to a show I can't resist seeing.  Sounds awesome.  I'll be back.  Thanks Old Man for sharing,

Now a question to you, do you get The Handmaid's Tale TV series in the UK?

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I loved the first season of Leftovers. The second season was pretty good as well. I kind of stopped following the show so I'm not sure if the third season aired yet or what's going on. I'm sure I'll eventually get to it since I really like the show.

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)
On 5/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, Walkabout said:

never saw that one , I'll have to keep an eye out .  thanks Old Man :thanks-sign:

You'll love it Randee! 

On 5/20/2018 at 7:11 PM, Earthnut said:

Just as I was cutting back on TV series, poof, The Old Man introduces me to a show I can't resist seeing.  Sounds awesome.  I'll be back.  Thanks Old Man for sharing,

Now a question to you, do you get The Handmaid's Tale TV series in the UK?

Ah ha! Hope you like it as much as me! Did I mention Carnivale?

Yes Season 2 just started in the UK, but I need to watch the rest of S1 soon.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:37 PM, GabrielRi said:

I loved the first season of Leftovers. The second season was pretty good as well. I kind of stopped following the show so I'm not sure if the third season aired yet or what's going on. I'm sure I'll eventually get to it since I really like the show.

Hi there, welcome to TIWWA! Yes, third and sadly final season ended but wrapped things up for a change. 

Millennium - This Is Who We Are

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community staff and autohides content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Sadly, I couldn't get through season 1 of The Leftovers.  Not because I wasn't into the story, I was really enjoying it, but I just got so burned out hearing the F word in almost every sentence, and then they kept throwing in the C word.  It got old, and I just didn't care to hear them anymore.  I have no doubts the series is good.

Carnivale is awesome, and I have probably watched it at least 3 times if not 4.

The Handmaid's Tale is one of the best shows out there right now.  So good.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

The leftovers is supposed to be excellent, but as usual, I’m behind the times and haven’t seen it yet. It’s on my list, though. That’s the thing with the golden age of tv:  it’s hard to be caught up!  I just finished Silicon Valley two weeks ago. A wonderful comedy that also manages a solid drama. 

I have no doubts that the story IS excellent, I just wish they had toned down the language.  A little is one thing, but in every scene and almost every sentence, that's just too much, no matter how good the show is.

Haven't watched Silicon Valley either, for some reason it just never interested me.

Have you seen Carnivale?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines