The Old Man

I love Fear the Walking Dead!

Now you may laugh, but I only recently got to see the first 3 seasons of Fear the Walking Dead thanks to Amazon Prime. In the UK, this AMC series until recently was insanely limited to BT rather poor channels who bought the rights to it (how was that allowed to happen!). Last month, Season one was finally available to everyone via E4, but only one agonising episode a week. I couldn't take it anymore. When I found it was on my Amazon Firestick and free via Amazon Prime, I couldn't believe it.

What a brilliant, inspired spin-off series. A bit slow to start in some ways, but you get to see the outbreak start as isolated incidents and the gathering momentum as TEOTWAWKI effects a modern, disfunctunctional family and their community, but midway through the first season, it's all go! 

I'd go as far as to say it's actually better than TWD in some ways as it deals more deeply with the actual challenges of survival and life after the apocalypse, an area that I find interesting.

In fact, this is an area I found really fascinating back when I watched the original Survivors series by Terry Nation from the 70's. A group of survivors come together in that series from various walks of life and they meet an intelligent man who asks them what happens when the last candle is burnt, who knows how to make more? What about Nuclear Power Stations? Were they shut down safely in time, or will they go china syndrome without being maintained? What happens to your children when insulin runs out?

These are the sort of questions Fear the Walking Dead makes you consider whilst it also delivers great action and excitement sequences. A perfect blend, more of a thinking man's Walking Dead, if you will, in the same vein as Millennium was perhaps, to the excellent X-Files.

The cast are absolutely brilliant too. Incredible performances.

Check out this series, even if you don't like zombies, it's really a fresh take that carves it's own place. Hell, it even has an episode called Ouroborus! 

@The Old Man Graham, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Excellent review.  I have watched both shows from the beginning, and as big a fan as I have been with TWD, it became overly character driven, and everyone fighting each other, instead of working together.  With another main character leaving the show, this may very well be my last season, unless they do a crossover and combine TWD with Fear.  Now that would be good.

I so agree with this statement ~

I'd go as far as to say it's actually better than TWD in some ways as it deals more deeply with the actual challenges of survival and life after the apocalypse...

TWD has always been character driven, the problem is, after awhile it became the same old same old, and then you needed new characters.  Fear also has some awesome characters in it, but I agree, it does deal with reality more.

If there were an apocalypse, I believe most people would be more help than a hindrance.  Naturally there will be bad guys; there always are.