Grinning skull asteroid

Rate this topic

seesthru

Grinning-Skull Asteroid Set to Whiz by Earth

Better late to the Halloween party than never: An asteroid shaped like a grinning skull is set to pass by Earth on Nov. 11.

Asteroid 2015 TB145 was first discovered in 2015, when it zipped within 301,986 miles (486,000 kilometers) of Earth right on Halloween. According to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory small-body object database, the asteroid's next flyby will not be nearly so close; it will pass about 24 million miles (38 million km) from our planet. That's about a quarter of the distance from the Earth to the sun.

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

That's awesome! :biggrin: 

I think it's so incredible how humanity has placed technology on asteroids travelling 1000's of miles per hour out in space. Also a little concerned that we've effectively dumped materials on them at the same time, not a good advert for Earth to any alien civilisations out there, that we've advertised our existence to! 

👽☄️🙉

Personally, I think any more advanced extraterrestrials would prefer to stay away from us, we are too self-absorbed and definitely self-destructive.  Earth can only sustain 6 billion people, and the world population clock has us at 7, 653,947, 7--, and now at 8, that's how fast it rises.  We are like parasites on this planet now, and if we do have a world-wide known visitation, I hope it's to help us clean Earth up.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Here's the image ~

Image result for Grinning-Skull Asteroid

• Like 2

If you  were  out in space looking at the orbit around earth, you'd find out we are the  trashy neighbors of the universe.  It's Fred Sanford's junkyard out   there... we don't see it of course but  it's there, and it's as polluted and trashed up as  any place ON earth.

I think putting a probe on an asteroid is okay,  maybe one we can program to return home so we don't  litter any more.   Unless that asteroid is going into the sun, in which case, it can incinerate our trash.  I love how we see more and more of the universe though.  And a Skull asteroid, wow!   

I watched a documentary about asteroids, or listened to it, rather.  They have little to no gravity, so landing on them  is very difficult.   I know private companies want to mine asteroids.  and we I think already blew a hole in one of them,  according to an excited NASA  person on the documentary!  I hope for now, that it's too difficult for people to get out there and blow up too much stuff or trash it up.

We could clean  the earth up better,  and maybe one day clean up the mess we've made in space too.  I fear if the aliens want to clean earth up, we'd be the  stuff they'd remove... we made a mess!

:alien::alien2:🖖 

• Like 1

Where did those cute emoji things come from Old Man? the big ones!  PS I posted this because every time I  see asteroid or comet news, I think of the Frank Black Soliloquy ... and I wonder how on earth I missed the comet  back then????????? Maybe it wasn't visible from NW Florida.

• HaHa! 1

• Elders (Admins)
22 hours ago, Earthnut said:

We are like parasites on this planet now, and if we do have a world-wide known visitation, I hope it's to help us clean Earth up.

I feel the same way Earthy. I found the remake of the The Day The Earth Stood Still fascinating for the same reasons. That image is awesome!

12 hours ago, seesthru said:

Where did those cute emoji things come from Old Man? the big ones! 

Sure! They are just the usual emoji, but I changed the font size to make them larger. By default I think they are hard to see in the normal font size, so I highlight with my mouse just like selecting regular text and use the Size button in the text editor to increase their size. On an ipad, I find I have to change the font size then type the emoji, or the highlighted emoji stops being highlighted when you press the Size button - grr).

For a while now the site has supported actual Emoji as well as the existing traditional image-based emoticons.
You can post them via the handy Emoji button in the text editor, or you can select them from your device's emoji keyboard if available, such as on

The device you are using will display them in it's own particular style. They look different on my iPad from when I see them on my PC.

12 hours ago, seesthru said:

PS I posted this because every time I  see asteroid or comet news, I think of the Frank Black Soliloquy

A ha! The Millennium Comet!