For anyone interested or effected, I've just changed the type of emoji we display at TIWWA. The EmojiOne style of emoji which were a handy workaround for users of older devices or operating systems would often fail to load, secondly they don't show in certain areas of the site which show text only, such as activity streams and search results. 

Therefore I've switched backed to the so called 'native' visual style, which means that the graphic is not loaded from Emojione's rather temperamental servers, but are provided by the user's device/emoji keyboard instead (they don't download over the internet):

C5457F14-AD9D-48B7-A9B0-405DEFBB273E.jpeg

So, basically:

• Apple users will see Apple's style (as per screenshot above) as supported via their current version iOS,
  • Android users will see the Google's Android style, as supported by their device's version of Android operating system,
  • whilst Windows 10 users will see Microsoft's current style etc.

Sadly, users on older platforms that don't fully support the modern, coloured emoji may not see the emoji or they may show as white outlines.

More about emoji at https://emojipedia.org/ and at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

Tip! Emoji are a font, so you can also change the size of your emoji just like normal text by using the font size button in the text editor!

🎃🦉🍂🦌🍂🍄🍁😱

🎃🦉🍂🦌🍂🍄🍁😱

It's a shame we all can't use the colored one, but we do appreciate what you give us and your work here.

Love and huggers ~  :23:    :hug:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Earthnut said:

It's a shame we all can't use the colored one, but we do appreciate what you give us and your work here.

Yeah, the EmojiOne was a good workaround for those using older devices, but it seems very unreliable. If I look at them in my browser's console when one doesn't load, it effectively says their server is blocking access to them, why I have no idea as it defeats the whole point. Until you get to update to Windows 10 (which is really good by the way), I think you are stuck with the original black and white outline version of Emoji or they may not show at all, but you can still use the traditional emoticons.

There has been talk of having the traditional emoticons removed from future versions of the software as many consider them outdated and low quality on today's high DPI displays, but a lot of admin clients including myself expressed support for keeping them enabled or disabled as optional; I worry one day they will go but I imagine they could be restored as an optional third party add-on. We have high resolution versions of the basic ones called Retina style, that show on retina devices but for the animated versions they would need recreating from scratch.

Is there anything I can do to update Windows 7, so everything will display correctly, without having to use Win 10?