Season 2 R1 Widescreen?

Rate this topic

Guest karadur

Guest Demolition Man
Am I the only one who likes full screen for TV shows.. Ya think for what they are charging they could give us a choice.. Any news on when season 3 will be released in region 1... I HATE WAITING :cry:  :angryred:

So where exactly was my choice for Widescreen in general back in the VHS days outside of the really overpriced Laserdisc releases? No offense but if you want it to "fill your screen" so badly do the following:

1) Buy SeVeN's Laserdisc to DVD-R editions of Season 2 and 3. Sure there's Japanise subtitles but hey, its "full screen" now isn't it?

2) Get ahold of either the VCD or SVCDs of them.

3) Keep watching your taped VHS copies from the Fox or FX airings.

4) Use the "zoom" feature on your DVD player. Sure the picture quality will really degrade but hey - if "fullscreen" is what you want.

From all the episodes I have seen off of the Season 2 Region 2 Widescreen release the episodes were done with Widescreen in mind first and foremost. Much of the cinematography and overall look of the show benefits greatly from the format, in fact I watched the 4:3 version for "Beware Of The Dog" after watching the Widescreen and at times the look and feel on the 4:3 was too crammed in for my liking - like as if they just crammed the entire frame to 4:3 just so it would "fill the screen" nevermind if it looked right.

Oh, and for anyone wondering the opening sequence looks fantastic in Widescreen - and yes unlike the one for "Harsh Realm" it actually uses the fullness of the 16:9 frame instead of it being a 4:3 image within the 16:9 area. The only time so far I have seen any 4:3 within 16:9 is briefly during the opening teaser of "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense." In this case it was a 5 second cartoon excerpt that was used. Otherwise everything so far has been 16:9 and damn beautiful.

Oh, and for anyone wondering the opening sequence looks fantastic in Widescreen - and yes unlike the one for "Harsh Realm" it actually uses the fullness of the 16:9 frame instead of it being a 4:3 image within the 16:9 area. The only time so far I have seen any 4:3 within 16:9 is briefly during the opening teaser of "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense." In this case it was a 5 second cartoon excerpt that was used. Otherwise everything so far has been 16:9 and damn beautiful.

The opening sequence just has top and bottom hacked off and it doesn't look as good as originally. But the rest of the show is quite nice. It doesn't use the full compositional power of 16:9 (everything important stays away from the edges) but it looks better than lots of other TV shows that were/are produced in two aspect ratios and widescreen gives the show a much more cinematic feeling.

I will be watching the S2 DVDs this week (of the Region 1 release that FOX PR sent me) and hope to have a review up before Christmas.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

(who loves how the video loop on the main menu ends with Lucy Butler shutting a door)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MMawagen

Why was season 1 only fullframe/fullscreen? Unless there were differences in the way the seasons were filmed it seems odd to have s1 fullscreen and s2 widescreen.

Guest MMawagen
Why was season 1 only fullframe/fullscreen?  Unless there were differences in the way the seasons were filmed it seems odd to have s1 fullscreen and s2 widescreen.

nevermind...lots like this has already been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. I had no idea that s1 was filmed for fullscreen while s2 was meant to be viewed optimally in widescreen.