Stop Comparing Xfiles With Millennium

Rate this topic

Guest Frank Black

Guest Frank Black

Im tired of people complaining about Millennium not being X-files. Or when they compare it directly to X-files. I USED to be an huge X-files fan, i stoped looking when Mulder left the show. OMG the last X-files episode was dumb and stupid. Aye you may notice im a bit angry when it comes to things like this :arguing:

In my opinion Millennium takes evrything we know into a higher plane. Some are complaining about S1 being all about serial killers, well At lest 5 seasons of X-files is about the same thing : Goverment consipiracy, and aliens, wong, morgan anyone?

Glad to see a forum like this, who actually views Millenium as it was meant to be, NO FRIGGING X-Files comparsion.

If someone asked me today: X-files or Millennium to return to telly, i would say MILLENNIUM :rofl: :grin2: :jumping:

Guest Regan MacNeil

I don't think you can ever get away from the Millennium/X-Files comparisons. I mean, they were both done by a LOT of the same people at the exact time, and obviously The X-Files was WAY more popular. I've been a fan of XF since Humbug originally aired, and it took me a while to get into MM. I know I was expecting it to be more X-Files-ish. I didn't become a solid fan until the second season. Actually, I always figured that's why MM never found a big audience. All the promos said "From the creator of The X-Files" and I think a lot of people expected the shows to be more similar than they were. MM never escaped the shadow of it's sister show. That's why I think NOW is the perfect time for a MM comeback. It wouldn't have to compete with X-Files-mania like it did in '96. Anyway, I agree with what you're saying, but I think the comparison is inevitable.

Guest fledgling666

i disagree and agree with this.

i feel millennium and x-files took place in the same universe, just not involving the same things. there are a few holes between them or overlaps that could never work had both shows been combined or something, but for the most part, a lot of millennium could happen on x-files and a lot of x-files could happen on millennium, but yes, the stories would likley have been told slightly differently due to the complexities of each. millennium started out being more complex because it came at a later time while x-files started out less complex because it started earlier and even though it was good when it started, the writers directors and actors learned a lot while making it and i think some of that was put to use in millennium. if you really look at it, the x-files got much more complex in later stories, especially after millennium started.

you cannot separate the 2.

they are the same underlying story, with different peripherals. one man, sometimes with a partner, sometimes without, against the mass wave of something larger than himself and darker than imaginable. the main differences were that millennium had more emotive moments, darker, more real possibilities, no smugness of any sort (duchovny), and often had a relentless sense of losing the light at the end of the tunnel, downward spiral, falling, where x-files was built more specifically for it's hour-long slot, clean, cut and finished after the 50-minute mark every time except for a few continuations. x-files, though, ran out of plausible endings when the time got too near. the last season, maybe the last 2 seasons were just drawing out dave and gillian's paychecks as long as possible while trying to jumpstart other careers, or further their acting resume.

millennium only got more relentless, more tense and more in depth in the end. it may have seemed a bit disjointed the last season, but i believe it could have come back together more firmly with just a little more length to the story.

if i were to start from where the story left off, i'd have the story open on 9-11 to catch the initial aura of misery, spliced with scenes of misery and torture the world has had to endure in the 20th century and punctuated with the fall of the second tower. it would have a backdrop of recent natural and unnatural disasters and with the recent tsunami in southeast asia, would be a study of whether or not it's prophecy, whether or not it can be avoided, whether or not it is being "forced." and a closer, more intimate story directly involving the central characters left after millenium ended as a tv show. the central story would be about figuring out the truth from the immense amount of data in the world. it would be about teaching to listen. about actively seeing, about paying attention, about caring, again, enough to pay attention.

sorry, went off a little. i wanna write the next one. i wanna direct it and i want a bit part, but a cool bit part.

heheh...

Edited by fledgling666

• 2 weeks later...

Millennium and XF have a lot in common. Their great episodes were great - their humor episodes were forced and both shows ended badly. In the end, they're both great ideas for mythos that were never done right.

I agree. Shame on Chris Carter trying to create a different show and not rip himself off. :tongue:

MillenniuM is something differernt from The X-Files and people should know that.

Mulder leaving should have signeled the end, but Carter jsut didn't know when to sya "when".

That would be like Frank Black leaving MillenniuM.

Would people compare Magnum, pi to Quatum Leap? They shouldn't.

Guest Max Fenig

I feel awfully hostile towards the creator of this topic due to this ridiculous post and others made on this site, although we can just take the labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself, as I wise man once said.

• Elders (Admins)

Although the "How dumb can you get?" tagline wasn't the brightest of ideas and bound to antagonise some people and cause a stir in others, I can see that the post itself is a personal viewpoint and you have to agree its resulted in some good replies.

There is always going to be a link between The X-Files and MillenniuM no matter how we might want to distance the two shows or not. Many people like one or the other, some appreciate and love both of them. This is a MillenniuM board but we do facilitate discussion and promote it on other 1013 related creations although we don't let them detract from the overhaul purpose of this board which is of course MillenniuM.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank Black

@Oldman

Sorry about that oldman, i was a bit angry when i make the thrread. I agree it did bring some excellent replies. Until this "user" decided to have another opinion, though not give any answers...

Max Fenig@

"I feel awfully hostile towards the creator of this topic due to this ridiculous post and others made on this site, although we can just take the labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself, as I wise man once said."

Really? Do you have anything else to say? Or you don´t share my opinion? If you don´t like what we are saying, then say so instead of saying something pointless like " i feel hostile towards you".

I can acknowledge i wasn´t to smart make the topic title like the way i did, then agian i wasn´t in my best mood either.... Don´t need to get hostile though.... I just laugh the way i wrote it, like a kid. I think when i decided to make the thread i was angry how S2 was going in the begining.

Fanboys come and goes...... :grin: