The Old Man

Raspberry Coulis

Welcome to the Old Man's cabin kitchen where I'll show you a great tasting raspberry coulis, er sauce recipe, that I made yesterday that Lucy Butler herself would love to taste, because it's perfect with dark chocolate, deserts, ice cream etc.

The intense raspberry aroma is lovely and the taste is refreshing, sharp but sweet.

(Actually I found it online some years back).

Skill level: Easy. If you can burn water, you can make this.

Serving suggestion:

7483B090-96F4-4695-8736-B6FE9D927E2E.jpeg

Dark chocolate Christmas pine cone filled with chocolate mousse, topped with edible gold glitter (from M&S!) and served with raspberry coulis. Lucy would be proud!

Duration: About 20 mins

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of water
  • 1 bag (roughly 12 oz) of frozen raspberries (thawed) or 1lb fresh raspberries
  • (Optional 1 teaspoon kirsch)

Equipment

• A blender or food processor
  • A fine mesh sieve over a slightly larger bowl
  • Wooden spoon
  • Medium-sized pan

Okay, lets do this...

1. Heat the water and sugar in a small saucepan on a low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved (takes about 5 minutes until the resulting syrup is clear, you will see bubbles, just stir them out slowly). FE798315-8294-490B-BF9E-0141CDA1DBCA.jpeg
  2. Put the raspberries into a blender or food processor and pour on the syrup before it cools, then blend for about 5 seconds at a time, in bursts until the fruit is a puréed sauce. 6DFA7C76-8DC5-49E2-A15F-982FA2A9A13A.jpeg
  3. Strain the sauce with a fine mesh sieve over the bowl to remove the seeds then add the kirch if using. See my tips below to speed this up! B4FE98EC-C865-4449-90F2-70A8AE11FBC5.jpeg   0F0243CB-00E0-425D-A2A3-487E433EDB06.jpegD964AAE9-8411-4CB1-8213-83E22F6694F2.jpeg34DD4461-E916-4851-842C-32AE64AE63BC.jpeg1D74C76F-3BB0-4CC4-9E7E-6F572F6F1826.jpeg71389158-1193-46FD-9636-14704880696A.jpeg   
  4. Stick the sauce in your fridge for an hour and it thickens it a little, serve it chilled with your desert. B7FD47AB-D1FC-420D-BFC2-54D5F75323DF.jpeg 1DF227F9-C66C-4B0E-8480-D0C2B658E69B.jpeg 

The Old Man's Tips:

• Keep a bag of supermarket frozen raspberries in the freezer. When needed I leave them overnight in the fridge to thaw naturally for best results, but you could plonk them in warm water and leave them a few hours or defrost carefully in a microwave oven if you're in a hurry.
  • I find the raspberry seeds quickly clog the sieve and the fairly thick sauce takes a longer time to drip through into bowl, so you can you speed up the filtering process easily by gently smoothing the sauce up the sides of the sieve using the back of a wooden spoon. The sauce runs back down and through the mesh until mostly just seeds and pulp are left. Use all the surface area of the sieve coating it, but don't force it or the seeds will get pushed through. The sauce will flow! 
  • You could use different fruit such as mango or strawberry.
  • The sauce will keep in a fridge inside a sealed container or cup for about 5 days, but I guarantee you'll have eaten it within 1 or 2 days!

• Like 1

OH MY, looks amazing.  Thank you.  :wub:

• Like 1

I also learned a new word:  Coulis :biggrin:

• Haha 1

If you say jus (pronounced 'zhew') instead of gravy, you've nailed fine dining and can compete on Masterchef!

• Like 1

Or fit in in Southeast Louisiana! LOL

• Haha 1

I wanted to ask, can you strain the seeds from teh raspberries before adding it to the sugar?  And how much sugary syrup d you think it would take to make this hard candy?  

I've been watching candy making videos, LOL!  Seriously, Raspberry Coulis, the liquid tastiness of it,  seems like something

they'd serve in heaven!

Mmm, good suggestion! :tongue: I have no idea how to make hard candy other than freezing it (!), but it sounds tasty. 

Re the seeds, that's an idea, it could make the process even quicker. Might have to make another batch soon!

On second though, leave it as Coulis.  I don't think a candy could  come close to the flavor this  has, I'll bet!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.