https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_(TV_series)

DCI John Luther (Idris Elba) is an obsessed and sometimes violent police detective who doesn't always do things by the books as he investigates serial murders while entangling himself with crime figures and a beautiful pyschopathic murderer woman Alice Morgan  (Ruth Wilson) who becomes obsessed with Luther.   There has been 20 episodes over five different season/ series with the fifth season leaving a cliffhanger and bringing the show full circle.   It is a dark crime thriller written and created by Neil Cross.  It delves into the same gritty dark areas that Criminal Minds and Millennium get into.  John Luther often leaves his superiors in the dark and gets his partners involved with the bending of the law while working the case.  Luther  is brilliantly played by Idris Elba and I hope a sixth season is getting made soon (instead of a feature film that Cross and Elba want to make (where they tried to get a prequel film together years ago after the first three seasons aired).

• Like 1

Idris Elba is an awesome actor, and bet this is a good show.  I haven't watched it and barely remember hearing about it.  Definitely may check it out now that it's been brought to my attention again.  Sure looks intense.    Wow, starting season 5 this year and I haven't seen one previous episode.  What's weird is they skipped 4 years between season 4 and 5, and how few episodes in each.

Series    Eps    First Aired           Last Aired
1             6         4 May 2010          8 June 2010
2             4         14 June 2011       5 July 2011
3             4         2 July 2013          23 July 2013
4             2         15 Dec 2015        22 Dec 2015
5             4         1 Jan 2019           4 Jan 2019

Thanks David for the heads up.

Edited by Earthnut
  • Like 1

That's BBC for you with small episode runs for seasons and years between seasons while people work on other projects 

• Like 1

Actually I watched Luther for the first time 2 nights ago! What a coincidence! I found they had the first season on iplayer so I was able to start at the beginning.

Idris Elba was an excellent actor in the The Wire, I thought he was good in this too, but the writer let him down. I guessed the killer within minutes, and about 3 other plot points in no time, so I hope it gets better! I'm usually hopeless with mysteries, especially Midsomer Murders.

• Like 1

Yes I did and there is a MLM connection:  I watched it based on the recommendation of Lance Henriksen...  He posted on facebook that Idris Elba was an awesome actor and the show was one to watch.

• Like 1

Last night I watched the second and third episodes, the third was definitely MillenniumisticTM !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Man said:

Last night I watched the second and third episodes, the third was definitely MillenniumisticTM !

For sure I am going to watch at least season 1 of Luther, and check out The Wire.  Never saw it either.  Just read that it's another TV series (2002-08), and missed it since it aired on HBO, that I don't have.  May not because it's about drugs and cops, not my favorite subjects.  Give me mysteries, profiling, true stories, and SciFi.  Not impressed with modern comedy, rather watch the older stuff, for example, Robin Williams in RV.  That movie was hysterical, or Christmas Vacation.  Randy Quaid  owned that movie.  And the list goes on.......

• Like 1

It's been a couple of years.   I watched the  first episode again a couple of weeks ago.  Love it as much!  I still   like Millennium better though!

• Like 1