The Old Man

I don't mind dubbing either as long as I don't look at their mouth.  And of course, whoever is speaking can sell it.  Sometimes the dubbing is so bad that I can't watch it.

Der Pass has one element to it that's freaking me out.  The landscape is breathtakingly beautiful, it's the way they film it.  Sometimes it looks like black and white since it's snow and trees, it's creepy, and fits right into the serial killer plot (image below).  Then I realized that there are very few scenes with a lot of color, so this series was well shot.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

18 hours ago, seesthru said:

Ooh  beautiful image!

Here's a couple more, but you can see the dreariness of it as well.  Really gave the show that eerie feeling throughout.  Finished it last night, and OMG, it was so good.

Der Pass Image.jpg

Der Pass Image 2.jpg

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

The scenery is beautiful, but no matter how pretty it is, while watching, there's still this eeriness to it, and so little color, even indoor scenes.  They did a great job filming.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Hey BTW, thanks Old man, for the recommendation!   I did catch a couple of episodes.   Pretty good show!   Not sure what the main guy's deal is yet.. I love how the main  woman character is so patient with him..

What is he putting on the sugar cubes and ingesting?  Absinthe?  or something else?

• Thanks 1

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

21 hours ago, seesthru said:

Hey BTW, thanks Old man, for the recommendation!   I did catch a couple of episodes.   Pretty good show!   Not sure what the main guy's deal is yet.. I love how the main  woman character is so patient with him..

What is he putting on the sugar cubes and ingesting?  Absinthe?  or something else?

Leaving this question for the Old Man.  I haven't a clue and would like to know myself.

This is so strange.  On the episodes it shows the title 'Der Pass' to be 'Pagan Peak,' yet when translated at Wiki, it's 'The Passport,'  And, that's what it also aid at a German/English online translator site.  Yet many sites say it means 'Pagan Peak,' but I believe they are wrong after a proper translation.

Did a little research and found a site that states that Winter was taking, 'illicitly medicated sugar cubes,' but never mentioned what it was.

Here's a list of the German and English translation for the episode titles from Wiki.

1 ~ Finsternis     (Darkness)
2 ~ Die rote Jahreszeit     (The Red Season)
3 ~ Der Mann aus dem Wald     (The Man from the Forest)
4 ~ Die Bösen und Unartigen     (The Bad and the Naughty)
5 ~ Masken     (Masks)
6 ~ Aus Fleisch und Blut     (From Flesh and Blood)
7 ~ Der Sturm     (The Storm)
8 ~ Engerl     (Engerl)

German translations show 'Der' and 'Die' to both mean 'The."  Maybe it's like the French where there's a masculine and feminine form of the same word, or like some of the English words that sound the same but are spelled different and/or have a different meaning.  For an example, 'principle' and 'principal.'  That's about all I remember of my French taken in school, along with just a couple words.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I'm so glad you guys liked Der Pass, yes some fantastic cinematography and alpine scenery. In fact a brief mention of it here from the camera lens manufacturer...

https://www.vantagefilm.com/en/news/new-crime-series-der-pass-on-sky-10914

I saw it in HD and it was great, I'd love to see it in 4K one day if available, but that means sitting in front of my PC monitor for too long!

Tagging In Alex @SadEyes here, in relation to translation aspects, he may be able to confirm the translation. When I saw it on Sky, it was called Der Pass/Pagan Peak, but I've seen it officially called The Pass too. Either way, it's excellent!

28A796C9-5076-4CF1-BE45-296731821BF3.jpeg

3E24BEFD-B848-462C-9B64-7C531B066A79.jpeg

#Creepy.

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

4 hours ago, The Old Man said:

I'm so glad you guys liked Der Pass, yes some fantastic cinematography and alpine scenery. In fact a brief mention of it here from the camera lens manufacturer...

https://www.vantagefilm.com/en/news/new-crime-series-der-pass-on-sky-10914

I saw it in HD and it was great, I'd love to see it in 4K one day if available, but that means sitting in front of my PC monitor for too long!

Tagging In Alex @SadEyes here, in relation to translation aspects, he may be able to confirm the translation. When I saw it on Sky, it was called Der Pass/Pagan Peak, but I've seen it officially called The Pass too. Either way, it's excellent!

I totally, 100%, agree that it's excellent.  It had me from episode one.

I just find the title confusing, and would love an explanation.  After typing 'Der Pass' into a German to English translator it means, 'The Passport.'  So why are there so many different titles for it?  In German, 'Pagan Peak' is 'Heidnische Spitze,' or 'Heidnischer Gipfeland,' at a 2nd site, and typing 'The Pass' in the English brings up the German as 'Durchlauf.'    :wallbash:

"The truth is out there."  I have a friend who speaks German, his wife is from Germany, where they met while he was station there in the military.  I am asking them in hope they can clear this up for me.

It's driving me nuts, as in Earthnut. :tease:

• HaHa! 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

It's actually not that unusual for titles to vary in different countries and cultures. Not sure if you've seen this before but check out the interesting alternative Millennium episode titles and their translations from Finnish, Deutsch and French to English...

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/additional-episode-info/non-english-titles/finnish/

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines