The Old Man

Reminding me of Carnival makes me want to watch it again.  Talk about an awesome show.  I have always hoped they'd eventually produce a 3rd season, or at the very least a movie.  Oh well.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Well, after reading Graham's description and seeing the various screenshots here, I really, really wanted to like this series. Almost everything about it looks good. But I just couldn't get into it, which is a pity.

I think I've become so used to watching documentaries and video lectures that drama doesn't work very well for me these days. :sad:

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Libby, how wonderful to see you here again.  Hope all is well.

I too watch a lot of documentaries, and both I and Walkabout absolutely love the show Ancient Aliens.  Also, I like a mystery, but no longer care to see any blood and guts of any kind.

Please come back again soon.  You have been dearly missed.  :23:   :hug:   :rose1:

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Moderators)
On 9/15/2019 at 9:30 AM, seesthru said:

Wait, what?  Then what is  the  German word or phrase for a mountain pass? , like a road that goes over a mountain range?

Like I said, "Pass" in german means passport, but it also means mountain pass, just depending on the context you are using it in. I think the origin is, that both things describe something that you can use to get past something. Your passport can get you through identity control and a pass on a mountain can help you to get by or over the mountain.

"We worry...we wait...who´s gonna see a different future?"
Frank Black

"Are you aware how often you use negative associated words?"
"No, I don´t neither."

Jose Chung´s Doomsday Defense

• Elders (Moderators)
On 9/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, Earthnut said:

I just don't understand why the video that I have has subtitles that say the title is "Pagan Peak."  It's so incorrect.

Used an English/German translator, and "mountain pass" became "bergpass," whereas "mountain range" is "Gebirge."

What's so weird with the translator is, "mountain" is "berg," but "pass" by itself is "bestehen."

Is this correct Alex?

Yes, both things are correct. The words combined can have a different meaning than each word on its own. So, mountain is "Berg", that's right, and pass in german can also mean "bestehen", again in a different context. "Bestehen" is used when describing that someone made a test and succeeded in it, like in "to pass a test". That's why many foreigners think that the german language is pretty hard to learn. 😉

"We worry...we wait...who´s gonna see a different future?"
Frank Black

"Are you aware how often you use negative associated words?"
"No, I don´t neither."

Jose Chung´s Doomsday Defense

Being hard to learn is also said about English, but since it's the only language I speak, besides baby talk, I haven't a clue.  Did a search and this is what I came up with ~

The Hardest Languages For English Speakers
  1. Mandarin Chinese. Interestingly, the hardest language to learn is also the most widely spoken native language in the world. ...
  2. Arabic. ...
  3. Polish. ...
  4. Russian. ...
  5. Turkish. ...
  6. Danish

The 20 Most Difficult Languages in the World to Learn

• Polish. ...
  • Navajo. ...
  • Greek. ...
  • Korean. ...
  • Mandarin. ...
  • Japanese. ...
  • Cantonese. The tones in Mandarin make it a challenge for English speakers, but Cantonese has twice as many tones as Mandarin—eight in total. ...
  • Arabic. To learn Arabic, you have to learn a new alphabet, and get used to reading from right to left.
  • ETC at https://bestlifeonline.com/most-difficult-languages/  

Very surprised that German is not on the list.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

6 hours ago, seesthru said:

It's a good show!

Yep, setting all we're discussed about language and words, it is a very good show.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines