Worst 5 and Top 5 Episodes

Rate this topic

Crunch7204

What are in your opinion the top five and worst five episodes of Millennium?

My Top 5 (Technically 6)

1. "Lamentation"

2. "The Fourth Horseman"/"The Time Is Now" (I included them together because they are a two-episode story)

3. "The Curse of Frank Black"

4. "The Sound of Snow"

5. "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me"

My Worst 5

1. "Loin Like a Hunting Flame"

2. "Through the Glass, Darkly"

3. "Broken World"

4. "TEOTWAWKI"

5. "Matryoshka"

Edited by Crunch7204

This is hard because I have so many favorites, and so few I dislike.  A number of the episodes that people don't like, I think, is because they may or may not understand the writer's intent.   For example, Human Essence is not a popular episode, but it is good, it just doesn't belong in the MLM series.

Broken World is not liked because it has the slaughtering of horses, and that I too find very disturbing, but the episode itself was very good.

For sure I agree with all of your likes.

To name just 5 that I like is impossible, but dislike, easy.  First, ...Thirteen Years Later, because I don't like KISS, and at the same time thought the story line was stupid.  Also don't like watching The Pest House.  Felt it too is stupid, and in a way, even annoying.  But, this is just my personal opinion.

And I agree that loin like a Hunting Flame was also hard to enjoy, and I haven't a clue why, unless it's the subject matter.  Crunch, why don't you like it?

I think something went on in the writers room while "Weeds" and "Loin Like a Hunting Flame" were being produced, perhaps it had to do with network interference because of the decline in ratings after the pilot episode, deciding that the back nine had to be more like The X-Files. It starts the show's weird relationship with sex that people who have sex should pay and there's a character that hasn't had sex in 18 years! I know that is not that far fetched but it doesn't help that everything is closed off to Frank's POV, the toxic masculinity of the sexist detective character, the wasting the great character actress Harriet Sansom Harris's time by her playing a character in a terrible episode and is never seen again. I also don't like the title and that the episode has no place in the timeline.

The American education system has been long criticized for its stance on standardized testing and many believe that the ones with the highest grades are not the true geniuses. It's also designed in my opinion for young people not to question authority with the fear that they won't get into college or be employed at a well paying job to divert the rebellious phase of teenagers into performing well on these tests. I believe at the time the Clinton administration had implemented this system. The system is designed to crush individuality and contradicts the old notion of the American Dream. I can go on and on about this as I have first hand experience and strong opinions on this topic. 😛

So back to the episode, Lucy Butler starts having these children who have resisted indoctrination, kidnapped and brainwashed so they conform and not question authority figures and then slot them back into society so they can be mediocre.

Edited by Crunch7204
  • Like 1

I understood the plot, and the backstory of cranky teacher, and what Lucy Butler was doing... When I say I didn't get it, it's not that.  I just didn't get it.  Watching it left me annoyed.  Can't quite put my finger on it.  

As for standardized testing,  was taking standardized tests every single year in school well before the 90's.  Not sure if that was just a state thing or if it was nationwide in the  60's, 70's and 80's...  I know my nephews in the 90's had their share of those tests every year too.  I guess the difference is, in "my day"  we weren't studying for them, training for them.  It was just a  few days out of a week in the school year, and then it was done. You got your results,  and that was that.  No one made a huge deal over it, though, I imagine the  schools themselves sweated over the scores.  

2 hours ago, seesthru said:

I understood the plot, and the backstory of cranky teacher, and what Lucy Butler was doing... When I say I didn't get it, it's not that.  I just didn't get it.  Watching it left me annoyed.  Can't quite put my finger on it.  

As for standardized testing,  was taking standardized tests every single year in school well before the 90's.  Not sure if that was just a state thing or if it was nationwide in the  60's, 70's and 80's...  I know my nephews in the 90's had their share of those tests every year too.  I guess the difference is, in "my day"  we weren't studying for them, training for them.  It was just a  few days out of a week in the school year, and then it was done. You got your results,  and that was that.  No one made a huge deal over it, though, I imagine the  schools themselves sweated over the scores.  

It's very different, the schools want high test scores to get more money for the school and obviously to steal. I live in Florida and there were an entrance exams, midterms, a last week of school exam as well as FCAT and EOC and there was also some writing test I can't remember the name of. I think there was another named Cella that I can't remember taking. A lot of times some of the content on those exams (math and science, but math in particular) was not covered by the teacher in the school year and some teachers would breakdown over it when the students questioned it in class. Maybe the purpose of it was so they wouldn't have to give money and steal it for themselves. All of those tests were in addition to the assignments and tests of the individual classes. The schools made it seem like if you didn't score well on the following college exams (ACT, SAT, PSAT, PERT) you were not likely to be successful. I know a lot of families who took it way too seriously and ruined the childhoods of many students. There are even students who judge and even bully each other over their grade point average and test scores! 

In 1997, Bill Clinton... https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-aug-31-mn-27665-story.html