Worst 5 and Top 5 Episodes

Rate this topic

Crunch7204

2 hours ago, seesthru said:

Has anyone's top 5 and worst 5 changed over time?  I know mine do, with the exception  of The time is now, The Fourth Horseman and Midnight of the Century.

I used to hate "Kingdom Come" because it wasn't the story I was expecting. I'm a fan of Unsolved Mysteries and had seen the segment on the murder of Father Reynaldo Rivera and the disappearance and probable murder of Father John Kerrigan. In 2015, Kerrigan was named in a sexual abuse lawsuit against the Diocese of Helena in Montana causing speculation that his disappearance was vigilante justice. I thought Galen Galloway was a sexual abuse victim. I think the episode is about spiritual acceptance and renewal of faith. 

"Dead Letters" is an episode I dislike that everyone seems to like. I just can't stand James Morrison.

"5-2-2-6-6-6" is such a ripped from the headlines story *cough*Oklahoma City Bombing*cough* and Catherine acts in the episode acting like she's worried and then like she is used to. Also we know the bomber's intentions but they end the episode like they are a mystery.

I remember the  testing when I was a kid.  They told us, it was simply to see where students were relative to where they should be in the grade they were in.  I always did very well on  the tests, and enjoyed taking them, though I was a mediocre student at best...

I don't know that I have five that I dislike...

Maranatha seems off to me. Frank just seems a little over the top at the end and I just didn't buy Yaponchik as the Antichrist, but that's just me.

Owls and Roosters just didn't do it for me.

As for Top 5 favorites it's hard to say but Midnight of the Century is up there. Every time I watch it I get "something in my eye" and my girl thinks I'm crying. Weird, right?

7 hours ago, Darth Paul said:

I don't know that I have five that I dislike...

Maranatha seems off to me. Frank just seems a little over the top at the end and I just didn't buy Yaponchik as the Antichrist, but that's just me.

Owls and Roosters just didn't do it for me.

As for Top 5 favorites it's hard to say but Midnight of the Century is up there. Every time I watch it I get "something in my eye" and my girl thinks I'm crying. Weird, right?

I hated "Maranatha", "Owls" and "Roosters" at first because I didn't understand what was going on in those episodes, but I have come to appreciate them when I did. I don't know the answer to this question... could there be more than one Antichrist? I like the idea of the Soviet Union being in Chris Carter's mind because it is in several The X-Files season 4 episodes and previous Millennium episode "Gehenna". 

Anti Christ means against Christ.  There are many antichrists.  I think he was one among many, part of the legion of antichrists, if you will.  Yeah, teh soviets   are in so many.  Even in  the fourth horseman, Peter Watts tells the story of the soviet biopreparat going into the jungle getting Marburg, and creating the marburg/prion variant.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, Crunch7204 said:

I used to hate "Kingdom Come" because it wasn't the story I was expecting. I'm a fan of Unsolved Mysteries and had seen the segment on the murder of Father Reynaldo Rivera and the disappearance and probable murder of Father John Kerrigan. In 2015, Kerrigan was named in a sexual abuse lawsuit against the Diocese of Helena in Montana causing speculation that his disappearance was vigilante justice. I thought Galen Galloway was a sexual abuse victim. I think the episode is about spiritual acceptance and renewal of faith. 

"Dead Letters" is an episode I dislike that everyone seems to like. I just can't stand James Morrison.

"5-2-2-6-6-6" is such a ripped from the headlines story *cough*Oklahoma City Bombing*cough* and Catherine acts in the episode acting like she's worried and then like she is used to. Also we know the bomber's intentions but they end the episode like they are a mystery.

I'm with you on James Morrison. That character was a bit over the top for me.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:18 PM, Crunch7204 said:

What's wrong with ripped from the headlines stories?

Also, I thought the end was showing that Dees got the fame he so desperately desired, and the news media wasn't aware that they were giving him what he wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankBlacksVisions said:

What's wrong with ripped from the headlines stories?

Also, I thought the end was showing that Dees got the fame he so desperately desired, and the news media wasn't aware that they were giving him what he wanted.

My problem with them is that they have to make them more ridiculous than they are so can they work. The same thing goes for "Covenant" and "19:19". I like the latter though. Back to "5-2-2-6-6-6", the episode ended with a reporter saying "with his death, the reasons behind the bombings may never be known" when it was clearly because he wanted to be the hero and for the fame. He got off on it. And he got the hero recognition he wanted earlier in the episode. Frank knew it because he was good at his job, and the police found semen from him jacking off before one of the bombings so it's not that hard to figure it out. Mark Snow's theme in this episode also felt more for an X-Files episode. As much as I love Glen and Jim, I think the fact that they were not yet allowed to do whatever they wanted during this part of season 1 showed.

Edited by Crunch7204

2 hours ago, Crunch7204 said:

My problem with them is that they have to make them more ridiculous than they are so can they work. The same thing goes for "Covenant" and "19:19". I like the latter though. Back to "5-2-2-6-6-6", the episode ended with a reporter saying "with his death, the reasons behind the bombings may never be known" when it was clearly because he wanted to be the hero and for the fame. He got off on it. And he got the hero recognition he wanted earlier in the episode. Frank knew it because he was good at his job, and the police found semen from him jacking off before one of the bombings so it's not that hard to figure it out. Mark Snow's theme in this episode also felt more for an X-Files episode. As much as I love Glen and Jim, I think the fact that they were not yet allowed to do whatever they wanted during this part of season 1 showed.

Got it. I didn't really recognize any "ripped from the headlines" qualities in "Covenant" while watching it (though I did learn it was inspired by Susan Smith by reading about it on Wikipedia), and I'm guessing, from what I know about "19:19" (I haven't seen the second and third seasons yet), it's based on the 1976 Chowchilla kidnapping. 

As for the end, well, you got me. I'm guessing the media didn't know, or maybe they covered it up so they wouldn't look bad. I don't know, though. I haven't seen it in a while.

Also, I myself did like the episode.