A cabin in the woods

Rate this topic

seesthru

How many are wishing they had that  cabin in the woods to go  visit for a spell?   I mean, it's not been too bad, so far, but the grocery stores are empty, and the rumors are spreading as fast as the virus,  which  is pretty fast in my state... and I long for a cabin in the woods, near a little lake.

• Like 1

When I was in Palm Beach last week, the food stores were nearly empty, all of them, and I know the area pretty well. No meats, except stuff you wouldn't feed your dog, no breads/pastas/baked goods, very little dairy/eggs, no cleaning supplies or toiletries. I felt like I was in a Soviet bread line! NYC's food supplies are much better, except for bathroom tissue which is strange given COVID-19 manifests as a respiratory illness, not a digestive one. Florida's in a lock down now, it wasn't then. NYC is practically closed down in areas, but some people aren't really obeying authorities in staying home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The  local grocery has  some meat, and some eggs, but the  prices are double.  Some bread,  I didn't check pricing.   The fresh produce looks rotted.   Then again, it's that way half the time anyway.  No   toilet paper, no disinfectant,  But plenty of some of the foods I like that no one else does.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, seesthru said:

I'd love a deadly cabin in the woods right now.  I've got food for a  few months,  toilet paper for a month or so. As long as it has   running water, I"m good!

Gosh, Old Man, what kind of food do you eat that will keep a few months? Canned corn and Spam? Ick. I'm still puzzling over the toilet paper shortages, which apparently you have in the U.K., as well. It keeps though, so why not?

I feel so lucky, I got a dozen organic eggs this week! It's recently been like how I'd imagine breadlines to be in the former Soviet Union around here! Back to normal, please!

• HaHa! 1

I'm not the old man, but  the kinds of foods that  I eat that last a few months are :

canned tuna

canned ravioli

dehydrated hamburger, dehydrated bell pepper, dehydrated mushrooms,  and some canned spaghetti sauce,  and pasta

canned veggies like  green beans, asparagus.

freeze dried fruit

jerky

instant mashed potatoes, baby reds flavor.

canned diced tomatoes, 

shelf stable milk.  Yep!  Not  evaporated, but shelf stable, in a carton.    Good for cooking with

crackers

canned fruit

Peanut butter

flour

I can make tomato soup with the tomatoes and milk,    and flour.  It can use some butter, but  unless I make ghee, no butter!

Make spaghetti.  yum!

canned asparagus is okay.

I can do canned corn, mixed with rice.  Or canned peas mixed with rice.  I grew up on canned vegetables.   I   had to acquire a taste for fresh veggies sometime after adulthood.

Anyway, You get the drift.  It might not be gourmet, but it's doable.  Oh yeah, smoked oysters in a can.  No spam.  No vienna sausages...

candy

instant oatmeal

• Like 1