Rate this topic

Guest MMawagen

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Covenant anyone???

In Arcadia Ego??

Beware of the Dog??

anyone like any of these three???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, well, I would have to answer yes to that. Covenant is one of my favorites, as is "Beware of the Dog". In Arcadia Ego is not the greatest, but was OK for me. Maybe about a 3 out of 5.

Covenant anyone???

In Arcadia Ego??

Beware of the Dog??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Covenant was a good, solid episode and I liked Beware of Dog a lot. Introduced the Old Man, Frank was truly on his own and yes, the comedic parts could be considered a wee bit over the top by some (Morgan and Wong touches, obviously) but I think they worked.

Covenant anyone???

In Arcadia Ego??

Beware of the Dog??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually I liked all three of these eps and all for different reasons but overall I felt each one showed more insite into the total Frank Black. :clapping:

Uh, well, I would have to answer yes to that. Covenant is one of my favorites, as is "Beware of the Dog". In Arcadia Ego is not the greatest, but was OK for me. Maybe about a 3 out of 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just putting them out there for fun...actually, Beware of the Dog has some very good moments, and yes, its where the Old Man is introduced. There really isn't any episode that i find outright distasteful or unwatchable. Not too many series can say that...

post-1098-1114116116.gif

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Okay, first my usual disclaimer that overall, I am not the greatest fan of S2. It had some great ideas and much promise but there was too much awful humour and quirky character (and just general quirkiness) for my liking that destroyed the atmosphere generated by S1.

So, 'Somehow, Satan got Behind me' then...

Well, I agree that having the DVD is beneficial to the Darin Morgan episodes because you watch them when you feel like it without having it ruin your MLM experience. That said, I find it perfectly permissable to watch 'Jose Chung's...' when watching MLM; it was different right enough but it still felt like it belonged. I don't get that from 'Somehow...'

S2 is supposed to be the journey of Frank Black as explained in the remarkable opening sequence of 'The Beginning and the End'. This was allowed to tail off far too much as the season progressed (reference Frank's severe lack of involvement in the events of 'Owls/Roosters', his complete absence from 'Anamesis' and his cameo appearences in this episode). The episode just contributed in a 'Straw that broke the camel's back' kind of way to my anger that the Season had lost all perspective and focus.

But more than that it simply doesn't hit the mark enough. The cafe scenes are mildly entertaining but it doesn't feel 'Millennium' enough. It feels like an offbeat episode of 'The Twilight Zone' for instance. Of the 4 vignettes, only 1 is genuinely funny (Broadcast standards + practice guy) and even that isn't good all the way through. The first demon's story isn't funny and is in pretty poor taste really. I just didn't feel that this was something to be laughing about even in a concerned way. It seemed to be trying for big laughs but wasn't good enough to generate any. Instead, it seemed more like a 'Hah! those sickos get what they deserve' kind of deal which isn't really the serious attitude that I expect from Millennium.

The second demon's story is kind of alright but again it seems very spiteful and short-sighted (by its tacit implication that all fat people lead miserable lives and have no friends). It's one of those 'gets worse the more you watch it' kind of sequences. It is fairly effective first time but is largely too ridiculous and lacking in penetrating insight to have any lasting value.

The third demon's story is pretty funny, mainly due to the hilarious performance by the lead guy. The sequence is horribly repetitive and lacking in any real subtance (it's basically just the crew hitting out at 'The Man' of the broadcasting world) but the gesticulations and facial contortions of Figleaf are undeniably excellent.

The last story is by far the best and stands out by a mile. From the obvious pathos of the demons realising they are actually deeply unhappy beings to the needle-point accuracy of the casual mental brutality people can inflict on their loved ones, it's spot on. If the episode had more of this then I could have agreed with it being on Millennium.

As to 'Monster'... Oh I just can't watch it! I actually don't consider the scene with Lance and the parents to be that good. Maybe just because the situation seems so preposterous (Jordan just happens to get hurt at that precise time etc). The little girl is distinctly unscary and just the whole deal of 'evil' children... It was a gross oversimplication of problems with children from a realistic point of view and wasn't scary enough from a supernatural point of view. Add in that the episode was chock full of actors who appeared on the X-Files (a small point you may think but Wisden, Owens and Cloke all played very memorable characters in that series and it made taking them seriously here difficult when they were all together).

If I want to see a good episode dealing with the very real problem of child abuse, then I watch 'Through a Glass, Darkly'. At first I didn't think that much of it but watching it again I realised what a fool I was - it's great! And yes, 'Covenant', 'Beware of the Dog' and (mostly) 'In Arcadia Ego' are all excellent too.

Guest lonegungrrly1121
What?! Maranatha is one of the best episodes by some way! Could I suggest you watch it again as I didn't realise how much I was enjoying it until it was nearly over. I really consider this one of the truly great episodes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe ok. admitedly it was my second viewing and i wasn't paying much attention. i'll give it another go :bigsmile:

• 4 months later...
Guest ZeusFaber

Can't agree with some of the dislike for Darin Morgan's work in this thread so far. I think he was one of the few good points in S2, and "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" is one of my favourite episodes.

Moving on, I will humbly add my own least favourite episodes. Oddly, there are wildly different reasons for these -- some are just plain dull but don't neccessarily leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Others are an entertaining bit of schlock, but leave me fuming at what has taken place (see if you can guess which is which).

"The Wild and the Innocent"

"The Hand of Saint Sebastian"

"Roosters"

"Siren"

"In Arcadia Ego"

That was just in chronological order though. I would have to think alot harder to put them into any kind of rank.

Guest zombieromero

There are a couple of bad episodes of Millennium, but even the worst Millennium is far better than a lot of other shows when they are at their best!