Worst Mm Episode....ever

Rate this topic

Guest MMawagen

Guest ZeusFaber

I agree. "The Well-Worn Lock" is a good character-development piece for Catherine that allows Megan Gallagher to take centre stage for once. It is only unfortunate that she never had as much to do as this more often, and indeed probably never to this degree again.

I also agree that "Dead Letters" is a bit overrated. It's not bad, and has interesting elements, but alot of the time it's the most basic of basic serial-killer stories.

I agree.  "The Well-Worn Lock" is a good character-development piece for Catherine that allows Megan Gallagher to take centre stage for once.  It is only unfortunate that she never had as much to do as this more often, and indeed probably never to this degree again.

I also agree that "Dead Letters" is a bit overrated.  It's not bad, and has interesting elements, but alot of the time it's the most basic of basic serial-killer stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ZeusFaber/BTL - I thought that "Dead Letters" did a great job in showing the effects of "personalizing" your job. Frank, throughout the episode continually warns Jim Horn that "if you make every one of the personal, you'll go insane". Whereas Frank could seperate the crimes from his family, all Horn did was say he could see his kids face superimposed on the victims...i thought it presented a good contrast..a bit over-rated? probably, but it also suffered from being released on the heels of the Pilot and Gehenna..

Guest lonegungrrly1121
ZeusFaber/BTL - I thought that "Dead Letters" did a great job in showing the effects of "personalizing" your job. Frank, throughout the episode continually warns Jim Horn that "if you make every one of the personal, you'll go insane". Whereas Frank could seperate the crimes from his family, all Horn did was say he could see his kids face superimposed on the victims...i thought it presented a good contrast..a bit over-rated? probably, but it also suffered from being released on the heels of the Pilot and Gehenna..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the story of 'Dead Letters' was very interesting, and it really emphasised the way that Frank is with law enforcment: if you don't buy it, you don't buy it, but in the end I'll prove you wrong.

the character of Jim Horn got the point of over personalisation over well, but just annoyed me by the end of the episode, though, with Frank saying 'I've been there' all through the episode, it leaves me to wonder whether Frank was like Horn when he had his first break down.

I agree that even the best of episodes might look bad compared the the season's openers!

Guest A Stranger

"Dead Letters" doesn't really focus on the criminal as much as Jim Horn. The theme of the killer feeling de-personlized and Horns over-personalization with the crimes is juxaposed perfectly with Frank standing in the middle; which is where you have to be do what he does. It also has one of the most poignant, touching endings.

And back to the original discussion, the worst for me is "Human Essence," followed very closely by "A Single Blade of Grass." There are have been many misteps in MLM's history, in my opinion but these two stick out as flawed all the way through. "Human Essence" is just ugly on all levels and doens't really feel like I'm watching MLM at all. Its too early in the season, which was off to a sloppy start, to air such a horrible episode. "ASBOG" is horrible but for different reasons. It feels like a watered-down week-end TV movie version of MLM. Embarassing all around. It features what is probably the most forgetable guest stars of a show which has prided itself and relies very much on them.

Guest Max Fenig
That was my thought as well.  The term that comes to mind is "Cheep X-Files Rip-Off".  But that's just my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frank's lines in this episode were right out of the Mulder cliché book, weren't they? At least I laughed. "A Single Blade of Grass" was offensively poor.

Guest ZeusFaber

Re: "Dead Letters"

I agree that its strength is its personal story, and James Morrison certainly does an excellent job as Jim Horn. However, there is still the requirement to combine this with an original and engaging story, and that is where "Dead Letters" falls down to an extent, IMO. Perhpas this was hoped to do for MM what "Squeeze" did for TXF -- i.e. stretch the elasticity of the show and give us a different type of episode. If so, it did not succeed on this level either IMO.

Re: "Human Essence"

I can see the points of it being a bit too paranormal, and this more in line with TXF. However, as someone else mentioned, I think there were far greater cases of this in S2. Nevertheless, I do find the episode slow paced and a little lifeless, yet not the extent that its reputation suggests.

One thing that seemed more offensive about "A Single Blade of Grass" was the way it suggested that Frank's gift was somthing paranormal, which was never the intension in S1.

Guest noonien soong

For me it was Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense. I've always loved Millennium because of its serious theme, and that it did not have Episodes, that had riducules story plots, like X-Files often has. But then this came along and changed it all.

I never watched it to an end, because I wanted to keep the illusion alive. So this Episode I would just rather forget.

RE: Human Essence.

There were some cheese elements, but holistically, I would much rather re-watch this episode than say Jose Chungs, 13 years, and Somehow in that order.........I would have to say that Human Essence is comparable to Siren in more ways than one.......sort of a mid to lower level type episdoe.

Guest David.Marx

Favourite episodes - Owls, Roosters, The Time Is Now

As for the worst; I would have to say any, indeed all of season three!

I would just like to congratulate all conributors for making this an excellent forum, and to the creators for making such a very fine job - the site looks excellent.

Regards.