Basking In The Afterglow Of Luminary

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I think this is one of the strongest episodes they made out of all three seasons. I was surprise by the appearance of Brion James, who passed on a couple of years ago. And while one or two things dont really hold to the story (Mostly the body in the river - and I dont care for the actor's narrative voice), the very end is spectacular.

• Elders (Admins)

Guest MMawagen

Well, the body makes sense really only indirectly. If you view it as Alex's skin or shell that he has shed while becoming himself or a new person. This seems to be what Frank senses as there is no other reason for him to make a connection between the body found and the location of injured Alex. Just my two cents.

I think this is one of the strongest episodes they made out of all three seasons. I was surprise by the appearance of Brion James, who passed on a couple of years ago. And while one or two things dont really hold to the story (Mostly the body in the river - and I dont care for the actor's narrative voice), the very end is spectacular.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Into the wild as Graham posted (thanks Graham). I'll let you all know how it was when I finish but I'm warning you I'm a slow reader.

Guest F_Black

That's too bad about the actor. I remembered him first as one of the Replicants in Blade Runner.

This was one of my favorites, too. I missed it in its original run and only caught it after F/X was running them nightly a few years ago. My main irritant is the astrologer in the planetarium. Somehow I doubt one would be let into a planetarium.

But still, great episode. I need to watch it again. At the moment I'm wondering why Frank was so intent on going to get Alex and why he was also so intent on staying behind when Alex was flown out. Was his personal journey to reclaim his 'gift' intersecting Alex's at this point and he had to stay behind to make some sense of it? Was this borne out in subsequent episodes?

I also liked the fact that Peter went against the group and went out to get him. This loyalty to a friend made the whole Frank-Peter falling out seem out of character to me, or at least not make sense as far as the story arc went.

WOW! It's just wonderful to suddenly see this entire thread evolving about my favorite episode, and one of the most inspirational hours ever in primetime television!!!!

I haddn't made the dead body/discarded shell connection before. I'd just thought that was just something dramatic throan in for the ratings... But now I can see the symbolisom! Thanks for that!

I'd often wondered about Frank's staying behind, too. Since he refused when another guy was told to stay behind... and the way he crowched down on the bank, watching the plane fly away.... I had thought he saw this as his own "Spiritual Journey", too. He tracked Alex down by understanding him. He was at a crossroads in his life as well, like Alex. A link was somehow formed between them. When Frank found him, Alex spoke to him like he was expecting him.....his first words were a joke... "Down in front." which caught Frank's attention. Followed by the revelation.... "It's that I didn't want to die. I wanted to be alive."

...I just gave myself chills...lol

Guest MMawagen

Though it isn't my favorite episode, it is in my top 10...definitely one of the most moving and visually beautiful episodes in the three year run. Much of it is due to the music, which was a pitch perfect accompaniment. It might have been the best score of the entire series.

Guest blondton13
WOW!  It's just wonderful to suddenly see this entire thread evolving about my favorite episode, and one of the most inspirational hours ever in primetime television!!!!

Words out of my mouth! :yes: I found this episode (not to be corny) but personally touching and very moving. It kind of left me with questions, but not even sure how to put them in words. I felt almost overwhelmed.