"power" Episodes

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

I guess the intervening years since the original broadcast of "Midnight of the Century" had dulled my memory but when I watched this episode last night, I was transfixed for the entire time. This has to be one of the most powerful episodes of the entire series!

Darren McGavin's portrayal of Frank's father has to be considered the tour de force acting of the entire series.

I have to classify this one as right up there with "Luminary" as near-perfect, though for different reasons.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I guess the intervening years since the original broadcast of "Midnight of the Century" had dulled my memory but when I watched this episode last night, I was transfixed for the entire time.  This has to be one of the most powerful episodes of the entire series! 

Darren McGavin's portrayal of Frank's father has to be considered the tour de force acting of the entire series.

I have to classify this one as right up there with "Luminary" as near-perfect, though for different reasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I have to agree on this. As much as Jose Chung is probably the most brilliantly conceived episode, "Midnight" is probably the most touching and heart felt. Like you, I was struck by how riveting this episode was when I watched it last night. I remember it being very good, but not as great as it was. Then again, as I look at the episode description, I see that it originally aired in Dec of 1997, 7 YEARS AGO!! Man does time fly!! It's been a while, but it doesn't seem like 7 years. I am now half way through disc 3, and every episode has been exceptional so far. I even enjoyed Hand of Saint.... more than I remember. It is actually a nice lead up to Jose Chung, as this episode kind of expands on the humorous side of Millennium, with some of the scenes between Peter and Roedecker (sp?) as well as Frank and Roedecker. We are also introduced to some more light hearted and colorful characters, such as the German detective. Still, Jose Chung was totally out of left field (in a great way), and nothing could have prepared us for it. I think that disc 3 of season two might end up being the best one of any of the 3 seasons. With Jose Chung, Midnight and Luminary, I can't see it being topped. However, next up is Goodbye Charlie, and if memory serves me correctly, that was one of the more underwhelming episodes.

Guest SouthernCelt
... However, next up is Goodbye Charlie, and if memory serves me correctly, that was one of the more underwhelming episodes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The story "Goodbye Charlie" wasn't that outstanding; however, I thought the actor playing the "mercy killer" did a good job. The thing that stands out in this episode to me is the haunting but depressing song that starts out "Goodbye to you my trusted friend..." :k_crying:

I can remember when that song got radio air play back in the 70s and I always wondered why it was being promoted as popular music. :u_thinking02y:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
'Goodby Charlie' for the most part was a bland ep [neither good nor bad] until the twist at the end..  :angel:  :devil:  :ouroborous:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

excellent!! I haven't seen it in so long that I don't know what the twist is. I seem to remember it pretty much the same as you, not that great, but not that bad. It is an episode that has Lara Means, so that's a plus. At least if the episode isn't that interesting I can focus on Kristen Cloke's mesmerizing beauty and drool. :devil:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
'Goodby Charlie' for the most part was a bland ep [neither good nor bad] until the twist at the end..  :angel:  :devil:  :ouroborous:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, just finished "Goodbye Charlie". It was better than I had expected, but didn't blow me away. I do remember the actor who played the nurse. It seems like he had several appearances on different shows and then faded away. I'm not 100% on this, but wasn't he in an X-files episode. I don't know why, and I might be completely wrong, but I'm thinking maybe he was the police officer in "Home"?

Guest SouthernCelt
OK, just finished "Goodbye Charlie". It was better than I had expected, but didn't blow me away. I do remember the actor who played the nurse. It seems like he had several appearances on different shows and then faded away. I'm not 100% on this, but wasn't he in an X-files episode. I don't know why, and I might be completely wrong, but I'm thinking maybe he was the police officer in "Home"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was the officer/sheriff in the XF episode about the in-bred family. Was that "Home"? (I'm terrible with episode titles, particularly longer-running shows like XF.) The main things I remember about that episode were Scully's somewhat out-of-place sarcastic "Baa - Ram - Ewe" remark when she was trying to sneak through the hog pen and the Johnny Mathis recording playing on the radio in the old convertible the family had.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
He was the officer/sheriff in the XF episode about the in-bred family.  Was that "Home"?  (I'm terrible with episode titles, particularly longer-running shows like XF.)  The main things I remember about that episode were Scully's somewhat out-of-place sarcastic "Baa - Ram - Ewe" remark when she was trying to sneak through the hog pen and the Johnny Mathis recording playing on the radio in the old convertible the family had.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that was "Home" all right. Having seen every X-files episode, and then enjoying them God only knows how many times in re-runs, "Home" remains the only episode that I did not care to watch again after the first time. Too disturbing, or creepy, or something for my tatse. I think that episode will also forever change the feeling people get when listening to the song you mentioned. One thing I will give that episode though, it was extremely effective as far as what the episode was trying to achieve.