"power" Episodes

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well I still think 'Midnight of the Century' is a poor episode. I can barely stand to watch it at all. I really don't rate performances such as McGavin's or Henriksen's in 'Monster'. They just seem overwrought and not in the least convincing. Tucker Smallwood is pretty good as Steven Kiley in 'Goodbye Charlie'. His key scene where he describes reaching 'the next life' or 'the other side' (I forget the actual terms he uses) was very good. But on the whole I'd have to say that 'Goodbye Charlie' wasn't very good either.

'Luminary' was pretty good but I felt it was spoiled by the rather unconvincing voice overs from 'Alex Glazer'. The lines were a bit clumsy in places and I didn't like the delivery. Don't get me wrong, much of the acting in Millennium is spot on but much of it is also quite clunky in my opinion. Henriksen and O'Quinn did a great job by delivering consistently engaging performances even when the guest actors were not always on their game.

Guest MMawagen

In the episode guide from the Abyss, it says the angel who talks with Frank in the churchyard is named Simon. I assume this is just the name he is given in the script. Is he actually named anywhere explicitly onscreen anywhere?

Midnight of the century is now a Christmas must see - right there with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Trading Places, and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Like I have posted before, I'll take Midnight over It'sa Wonderful Life anyday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree not a Christmas season has gone by since it first air that I haven't spent hours recalling this episode. It also made me rethink my stance on many family disputes.

• Elders (Moderators)
In the episode guide from the Abyss, it says the angel who talks with Frank in the churchyard is named Simon.  I assume this is just the name he is given in the script.  Is he actually named anywhere explicitly onscreen anywhere?

A search of the transcript doesn't show any mention of the character's name in dialogue or any other explicit way onscreen.

Midnight Of The Century is an episode that struggles really hard to be more than it is. It has all the machinations of getting there, but something ultimately gums up the works. I think the same about the majority of the Morgan/Wong scripts though - they lay down the groundwork for some fantastic stories only to leave out nessessary bits to get it to the finish line. I'm probably in the minority when I say episodes like Monster and The Hand Of Saint Sebastian fell just short for me.

Then again, I also happen to like episodes that people either feel nothing for (Goodbye Charlie - and you're right, its mostly because of the one actor) or dislike altogether (The Well Worn Lock)

Guest MMawagen

Thanks for going through the trouble. Glad I wasn't missing anything.

A search of the transcript doesn't show any mention of the character's name in dialogue or any other explicit way onscreen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest canadian girl

Well, I watched Midnight of the Century yesterdayand cried(I'm a suck, I know).

If nothing else, this episode gives us some great background information about Frank's family, his power and the origin of that power.

Guest F_Black

Heh. I haven't watched MOTC yet because it feels wrong somehow to not watch it Christmas Eve.

I'm probably in the minority on Goodbye Charlie being one of my favorites. It had a good bit of humor, especially b/w Lara and Frank, it was kind of open-ended as to whether Kiley was good or bad (or just what he was doing exactly -- where'd he go at the end? up to the other plane?), and it dealt with end-of-life issues, but not in a preachy way. The interrogation room scene was very well done, too, I thought, especially on Smallwood's part. It's amazing how people just talking can be so mesmerizing in a well-written script.