Jose Chung

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Wow, I just got done watching "Jose Chung's Doomsday defense", and I can't believe how much I had forgotten. First off, I had forgotten how utterly brilliant, hilarious, intelligent and clever this episode was. This was an episode of Millennium, one of the darkest series in the history of television, yet, I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard or so often. Once again, Lance Henriksen displays an incredible acting range in this episode, and all of the regulars who appear, Peter Watts, Giebelhouse, are totally effective in their revised roles in this masterpiece. Charles Reilley also turns in a spectacular performance and, in fact, got a well deserved Emmy nomination for it. As far as I'm concerned, Lance could have easily gotten some kind of nomination himself, as this is one of his best performances. The scene where he plays the fictional detective where he delivers the shot to the crotch is simply priceless and a highlight of the series. Something about that character reminds me of his character in "color of night". I had also forgotten the scene where they used the posters of David Duchovney (sp?) and many of the other small subtleties that made this episode so enjoyable and memorable.

• 1 year later...
Guest MrCox
I had also forgotten the scene where they used the posters of David Duchovney (sp?) and many of the other small subtleties that made this episode so enjoyable and memorable.

There are so many extremely funny details in that episode I noticed just at the 4th or 5th time. One of my favourite in-jokes is the Onan Goopta novel Jose Chungs shows Frank and Giebelhouse at the scene of the first murder:

"Dance On The Blood Dimmed Tide"

The cover shows a female stripper in front of a blood drained wall and the face of the profiler investigating the crime. (That sounds very familiar, doesn't it?) :rofl:

The "Lance Henriksen in the role of Frank Black in the role of Rocket McGrain" fantasy is just breathtaking! :swingin:

Stephen James Lang showed in this episode that he would be a terriffic comedian: I'll never forget this "anti-pron feminist lesbian" thing! And his dry response to the question of this Selfosophy guy "Are you aware how often you use negatively-associated words?" as he answers (in a very negatively-associated way): "Oh, no, I don't neither." I love this scene. Can you imagine someone else use three negations in a sentence of 5 words and still be convincing? :rofl:

Guest betweenthelines

Yeah this episode was great. To be honest I think I like it better than the "X-Files" one. It got into a bit of trouble with the Church of Scientology; makes me wonder if a certain movie star would have had it pulled from the airwaves if it aired recently.

Best line of the episode: "Lighten up: it's a homicide, not a funeral". His costume was pretty funny too.

As for awards, according to the site on fourthhorseman.com Charles Nelson Reilly received the show's only non-technical nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. Lance, however, was nominated for a Golden Globe during the show's run. His performances were consistently great, but he definitely deserved a win for Season 3 (I know, I know, off-topic...).

• Elders (Moderators)

One thing that doesn't cease to amaze me is that there's always something new to find when I watch this episode. The script alone is unbelievably brilliant. For example, I noticed this tiny detail only last week when I watched the ep with my brother:

"But, beauty is not always found in the beautiful; just as sanity is not always found in the insane." :wtf:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MillenniumIsBliss
One thing that doesn't cease to amaze me is that there's always something new to find when I watch this episode. The script alone is unbelievably brilliant. For example, I noticed this tiny detail only last week when I watched the ep with my brother:

"But, beauty is not always found in the beautiful; just as sanity is not always found in the insane." :wtf:

LOL, I can't think of an example of more brilliant and creative writting than in that episode. I hadn't caught that until just now either.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gmcp

One of the hardest times I've laughed while watching television was at the end of the episode:

"Don't try, you'll never make it!"

"Not with that attitude I won't! :bigsmile: "

*plop*

Guest Kinggi

While i thought the episode was excellent, it still isnt better than the X Files one. The X Files one was seriously one of the best episodes of tv ever made. Still though, this one was so good its stands up pretty high as well.

• Elders (Moderators)
One of the hardest times I've laughed while watching television was at the end of the episode:

"Don't try, you'll never make it!"

"Not with that attitude I won't! :bigsmile: "

*plop*

LOL! Oh yes, the hilarious combination of the overly positive, yet slightly tense expression on Roland's face and the utter failure..