Obscure Episode Titles

Rate this topic

Guest arcanamundi

Guest arcanamundi

Another 'signature' of 1013 productions is the obscure episode title. The X-Files was most famous for it, but MM had some pretty esoteric references, too. I can figure out the meaning of most of them, but a couple of episode titles just elude interpretation. So I submit to the group: what do the episode titles mean, and how do they relate to the story in the episode, for the following two episodes:

from season 2: 'In Arcadia Ego'

from season 3: 'Saturn Dreaming of Mercury'

I have an interpretation of this one, but it might be a bit of stretch.

Any takers?

I've wondered that, too! Especialy the Saturn one. I hate to be a jerk, but the title had me all reved up for a certain kind of episode, since the title was so.... dramatic... and though the episode was pretty cool, I was left kinda feeling like :u_thinking02y::o_stupid::l_bhuhhh: in regards to the title.

Guest arcanamundi
I've wondered that, too!  Especialy the Saturn one.  I hate to be a jerk, but the title had me all reved up for a certain kind of episode, since the title was so.... dramatic... and though the episode was pretty cool, I was left kinda feeling like  :u_thinking02y:  :o_stupid:  :l_bhuhhh:  in regards to the title.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its been a while since I've seen this episode, but from what I can recall of it, this is what I come up with: Saturn is symbolized in the episode as Legion/Lucy/ Satan, the Ancient Evil One, and Mercury is symbolized as Jordan/Frank and the power of their gift. Saturn, in ancient myth as Cronos, devoured his children for fear they would overthrow him; so too does the Evil One longs to consume the foes he fears, and dreams himself into the shape of Lucy and even assumes the form of a child to insinuate himself into the life of those who serve Mercury by channeling his healing force, i.e. Jordan & Frank.

In ancient myth Saturn, as a destructive aspect of the deity, was perceived as a baleful, evil influence, and through the millennia became conflated with other dark & sombre deities into a composite Christianized Satan.

Um, like I said, this might be a stretch, but it makes a kind of mythic poetic sense, doesn't it? I would love to hear other theories & interpretations!

Guest Seraphim

Et In Arcadia Ego. It is the title of a painting by Nicolas Poussin. There was also a followup painting called "Les Berger d'Arcadie". Both paintings feature 4 shepards; three male and one female. They are inspecting a tomb.

The first painting

https://www.abcgallery.com/P/poussin/poussin4.html

The second painting

https://www.abcgallery.com/P/poussin/poussin42.html

How it relates to the episode is found in myth and legend. It is speculated that the location of the painting is not the Arcadian region of Greece, but the French countryside. The area around the village of Rennes-le-Chateau. Rennes-le-Chateau is known for a priest, Berenger Sauniere, who made some kind of discovery that enabled him immense wealth, as well as a strange death. "The Prieure de Sion" and the bloodline of Christ are two topics intertwined with Sauniere. It is believed the paintings by Poussin were a message. The importence of the painting is the tomb that the shepards are surrounding. French legend states that Mary Magdalene brought the Holy Grail to the south of France. Some believes hold that Christ fled Palestine with her. The tomb in the paintings may be her tomb, or even Christ's. If anyone is interested in the whole study there is an excellent book called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail".

I just borrowed that book along with 'The Gospel of Mary Magdalene' and 'The Nag Hammadi Library'... I can't wait to read them and the 'Davinci Code' too.. There was a special about it and the author which I only got a part of and hope it is replayed so I can tape it...Thanks for those sites too.. I liked 'In Arcadia Ego' . :ouroborous:

Guest Seraphim

I have the Nag Hamadi Library. It's an interesting book. On the subject of religious texts... There is a nice two volume set (800 pages each) of Jewish Pseudepigrapha that I want to get soon.

Et In Arcadia Ego.  It is the title of a painting by Nicolas Poussin. There was also a followup painting called "Les Berger d'Arcadie". Both paintings feature 4 shepards; three male and one female. They are inspecting a tomb.

The first painting

https://www.abcgallery.com/P/poussin/poussin4.html

The second painting

https://www.abcgallery.com/P/poussin/poussin42.html

How it relates to the episode is found in myth and legend. It is speculated that the location of the painting is not the Arcadian region of Greece, but the French countryside. The area around the village of Rennes-le-Chateau. Rennes-le-Chateau is known for a priest, Berenger Sauniere, who made some kind of discovery that enabled him immense wealth, as well as a strange death.  "The Prieure de Sion" and the bloodline of Christ are two topics intertwined with Sauniere. It is believed the paintings by Poussin were a message.  The importence of the painting is the tomb that the shepards are surrounding. French legend states that Mary Magdalene brought the Holy Grail to the south of France. Some believes hold that Christ fled Palestine with her. The tomb in the paintings may be her tomb, or even Christ's. If anyone is interested in the whole study there is an excellent book called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although apparently not necessary in a Latin sense, some have added "sum" to the end of the title, since when used by the Priory of Scion it has an ellipsis, suggesting a missing word. Rearrange "Et in Arcadia ego sum" and you get "Arcam Dei Tango Iesu"... "I touch the tomb of God – Jesus".

Which does tie in with the episode, as it had to do with an immaculate conception.

Guest SouthernCelt
Although apparently not necessary in a Latin sense, some have added "sum" to the end of the title, since when used by the Priory of Scion it has an ellipsis, suggesting a missing word.  Rearrange "Et in Arcadia ego sum" and you get "Arcam Dei Tango Iesu"... "I touch the tomb of God – Jesus".

Which does tie in with the episode, as it had to do with an immaculate conception.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even w/o the rearranging, if you analyze the words "in arcadia ego" for possible individual meanings and then consider those meanings in a phrase, one meaning could be something like "oneself in (or within) the vessel (or container or chest)" which could be a reference to Christ's blood (representing his being or self) being contained in the Grail. This would fit as a sort of obtuse reference to the idea that Mary Magdalene herself was the Grail and that Christ's blood was in her by virtue of her being pregnant with Christ's child. This interpretation could also be applied to the story in the show since the woman was "pregnant with God's child" in her belief.

Guest Seraphim
Thanks for that Tarc and SouthernCelt...  anyone disputing the offical church version  was labled a heritic and killed so clues had to be left in puzzle or code form.. makes you wonder what other 'clues' or codes were left for us and yet to be found..  :yes:  :ouroborous:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy Blood, Holy Grail goes into the various "codes" and such regarding the panting as well as a few other "locations".