Obscure Episode Titles

Rate this topic

Guest arcanamundi

Over at the Abyss episode guide I've added a section to each entry explaining the title of the individual episode. In fact, the only entry in the entire guide that does not have an explanation of its title is... "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury!" Indeed, that one's a head-scratcher. I have yet to discover a definitive explanation. Clearly, the references here seem to be related to astrology. Unfortunately, I haven't discovered just what that sort of astrological reference might mean in relation to the characters in that particular story. Like I said, it's a head-scratcher.

Guest arcanamundi
Although apparently not necessary in a Latin sense, some have added "sum" to the end of the title, since when used by the Priory of Scion it has an ellipsis, suggesting a missing word.  Rearrange "Et in Arcadia ego sum" and you get "Arcam Dei Tango Iesu"... "I touch the tomb of God – Jesus".

Which does tie in with the episode, as it had to do with an immaculate conception.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes indeed! That works for me! Thank you very much!

Guest arcanamundi
Over at the Abyss episode guide I've added a section to each entry explaining the title of the individual episode.  In fact, the only entry in the entire guide that does not have an explanation of its title is... "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury!"  Indeed, that one's a head-scratcher.  I have yet to discover a definitive explanation.  Clearly, the references here seem to be related to astrology.  Unfortunately, I haven't discovered just what that sort of astrological reference might mean in relation to the characters in that particular story.  Like I said, it's a head-scratcher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Dixon, I'll have a look. What if the title is not an astrological reference, but a reference to the Roman deities, as per my (admittedly far-fetched) theory? What do you think of that theory?

Thanks, Dixon, I'll have a look.  What if the title is not an astrological reference, but a reference to the Roman deities, as per my (admittedly far-fetched) theory?  What do you think of that theory?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your observations are certainly worthwhile, and there's an interesting aspect to them, but I've convinced myself the title is astrological in nature. Of course, until I come up with some proof on that one, your guess is as good as mine!

Guest arcanamundi
Your observations are certainly worthwhile, and there's an interesting aspect to them, but I've convinced myself the title is astrological in nature.  Of course, until I come up with some proof on that one, your guess is as good as mine!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't you contact the writer of that episode & ask him? I mean, I suppose I could try if I wanted to know badly enough (and I'm willing to if I knew how to reach him), but with your high profile as a Millennium expert, I'm assuming you'd know how to reach him and would likely get a reply sooner than I.

• Elders (Moderators)

This ep was written by Jordan Hawley and Chip Johannessen. I'm sure that when I was looking for info on imdb for Jordan Hawley there was nothing there - but now there's a listing. And this Jordan's a he.

Anyway, if you were going to try and get in touch, Dixon, Chip would be a good idea as he's bound to know who you are.

I have had a look around several astrology sites via google, but I have to say that a lot of these sites are very technical and I certainly don't understand a lot of the terms. I couldn't find anything that gave me any clues.

You know the effect when you keep thinking about a phrase, it becomes more and more something you know you should know? I even wondered if it was from Shakespeare but a search on a couple of relevant sites didn't throw up anything.

This one's certainly a puzzle.

Guest arcanamundi
Your observations are certainly worthwhile, and there's an interesting aspect to them, but I've convinced myself the title is astrological in nature.  Of course, until I come up with some proof on that one, your guess is as good as mine!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I might tweak my far-fetched theory a tad: Mercury symbolizes the divine power behind Jordan not so much in his aspect as healer (which is more the realm of Apollo) but in Mercury's function as psychopomp, i.e. as a conductor between the mortal world and spirit world, to which Frank & Jordan's gift links them. Also, recall that in ancient myth old Saturn (Chronos) devoured his children to prevent from coming true a prophesy that they would one day overthrow him.

Guest blondton13
If I might tweak my far-fetched theory a tad:  Mercury symbolizes the divine power behind Jordan not so much in his aspect as healer (which is more the realm of Apollo) but in Mercury's function as psychopomp, i.e. as a conductor between the mortal world and spirit world, to which Frank & Jordan's gift links them.  Also, recall that in ancient myth old Saturn (Chronos) devoured his children to prevent from coming true a prophesy that they would one day overthrow him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds logical to me as to the meaning behind the episode title! :grin:

Guest arcanamundi
That sounds logical to me as to the meaning behind the episode title! :grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too -- the more I think about it, the less far-fetched it sounds to me. But I hope Dixon can track down the writer and get the actual answer!