A Little Out Of Character In Paper Dove

Rate this topic

Okay, here's my thing. :tongue: If you were Frank and you'd seen all the crap he's had to see...if you knew some freak was still taking pictures of your family...would you leave Jordan in the car while you went inside the airport for your wife? For that matter, would you leave your wife to go for the car? Did this bother anyones else at all?

Frank could not carry Jordan [sleeping] and the bags too so he took Jordan to the car[ locking her in ] and his car was parked right out front in a public place... Catherine was inside an large airport with security everywhere and knowing he would only be away 5 minutes he felt secure in doing both... living in constant fear of danger to his family is what caused him to have his first breakdown... something he was trying to deal with.. thats how I saw it.. :ouro:

Guest canadian girl

Frank leaving Jordan in the car alone did bother me because I've always been so strict about never leaving my kids alone in the car....EVER.

Leaving Catharine didn't bother me because she's an adult..... a lot of good that did her.

Frank leaving Jordan in the car alone did bother me because I've always been so strict about never leaving my kids alone in the car....EVER. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that's why it struck me as weird. My wife and I never leave the kids in the car alone. Watching the news and America's most wanted is enough to do that to us. Too many freaks out there. :eyes: I just couldn't see Frank doing it based on all the cases he's worked. Just my humble opinion.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Part of the point of Season One is Frank coming to terms with the fact he can't be there for all the people who need him all of the time. Episodes like 'Pilot', 'Gehenna', 'Wide Open' and 'Powers, Prinicipalities...' all flag up the need for Frank to deal with his fear and not let it rule his life. For example, the horrendous events of 'Lamentation' could easily have broken Frank to the extent where he needed to have Catherine and Jordan in sight all the time.

It didn't and Frank was able to continue working etc. 'Paper Doves' is intended to show however, that Frank still has big problems on this front. He seems to actually take his family for granted in the wake of Bletch's death. Episodes like 'Broken World' and 'Maranatha' show he is working harder than ever, desperate to find a cure to the growing sickness of society. (The sherrif in 'Broken World' confesses he finds Frank's interest in such a small case strange).

'Paper Dove' is a wake-up call (one that incidentally, Frank does not heed in S2). He has his family around him for practically the whole episode and nothing bad happens. So when he arrives back home, you can perhaps understand his lapse. He is instantly punished for this however. I think it fits in well with where Frank was at that post-Lamentation time. It would certainly be out of character if it was included earlier in the season. As such though, it made sense to me.

'Paper Dove' is a wake-up call (one that incidentally, Frank does not heed in S2). He has his family around him for practically the whole episode and nothing bad happens. So when he arrives back home, you can perhaps understand his lapse. He is instantly punished for this however. I think it fits in well with where Frank was at that post-Lamentation time. It would certainly be out of character if it was included earlier in the season. As such though, it made sense to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does make a little more sense when I look at it that way. :ouroborous:

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

It is perhaps a little harsh, judging Frank like this anyway. He only intended to be gone for a few minutes and the car was presumably locked up (it is 'The Beginning and the End' anyway). And you must admit that the abduction scene does stretch credibility quite a bit really - you wouldn't have thought Catherine was in direct danger in the middle of a crowded airport would you?

Frank had every reason to suspect that his family was safe. I don't see him as being particularly remiss in this scene, especially when you consider that the alternative is to adopt a self-destructive siege mentality.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest citizenk

It always bothered me that he left Jordan in the car alone. But leaving Catherine wasn't that big of a deal. It's tv, don't forget so you've to to have some lapse of judgement so you have a story. But he should have learned a thing or two from having to track down his brother's wife who was also stalked at an airport. Good catch!!!!