Season 2 Guest Stars

Rate this topic

Walkabout

Favorite guest star  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

OK, I went with Charles Nelson Reilly, a no brainer for me. I could very well have gone with Lucy Butler, but I consider her more of a recurring character then a guest star.

Guest arcanamundi
OK, I went with Charles Nelson Reilly, a no brainer for me. I could very well have gone with Lucy Butler, but I consider her more of a recurring character then a guest star.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the same thing about Philip Baker Hall - the Millennium Group Elder - which is why I didn't suggest him for the poll -- like Lucy, his was more of a recurring character than guest star.

But he deserves props for his work on MillenniuM S.2. He was the Elder who counseled Watts not to chase his own tail in 'Hand of St. Sebastian'; he was the one who recovered and hid the Cross in 'Roosters'; he was the one who presided over the funeral of the Old Man.

Baker-Hall has been around for a long time, and he's always outstanding in whatever I've seen him: in Magnolia as a quiz show host, as Nixon in the play Secret Honor (filmed by Robert Altman), and esp. in Seinfeld, where he played the hard-boiled, tough-as-nails library cop who harrasses Jerry about a long overdue library book. I laughed like never before when I saw that one.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I thought the same thing about Philip Baker Hall - the Millennium Group Elder - which is  why I didn't suggest him for the poll -- like Lucy, his was more of a recurring character than guest star.

But he deserves props for his work on MillenniuM S.2.  He was the Elder who counseled Watts not to chase his own tail in 'Hand of St. Sebastian'; he was the one who recovered and hid the Cross in 'Roosters'; he was the one who presided over the funeral of the Old Man.

Baker-Hall has been around for a long time, and he's always outstanding in whatever I've seen him: in Magnolia as a quiz show host, as Nixon in the play Secret Honor (filmed by Robert Altman), and esp. in Seinfeld, where he played the hard-boiled, tough-as-nails library cop who harrasses Jerry about a long overdue library book.  I laughed like never before when I saw that one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, he has been around for a long time and has played a lot of great character roles. One of my favorites was his role in the movie "Lost Souls". To date, I am still the only person that I am aware of who liked that movie. It is pretty cheesy and full of holes, but I am am a person who CAN be seduced by style, and that movie was very stylish and effective as far as mood as well as visually. There is another character that I have run across recently in Millennium S2, and thought was really good, but I'm not sure if he appears in more than the one episode I saw him in. The episode was "The Time Is Now". He played what appeared to be a high ranking Millennium member, and did the speech about how "the life of one person is inconsequential to the whole of mankind", or something to that effect, as Richard, the person trying to recruit Frank and pull him out of Millennium, begins to have break problems and then crashes. I don't think he appeared before or after that episode, and I probably would not include that small role in a list of favorite guest appearances, but it was yet another memorable scene and performance. It is also another example of perfect casting in this show, right down to the last guest star.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
so very torn between  Doug Hutchinson and Sarah-Jane- Redmond..... :doh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait a dog-gone minute here :angry: ...ok, my head has stopped spinning trying to pick a favorite from you list :doh: ...man, thats a lofty chore, trying to select one performance better than another :eyes: ..what i want to know is why, at least for now in the early returns, my pick gets no props on this subject, and yet he is tied for the lead.. :angry:

After much consideration and dizziness from going up and down the choices, i am proud to say i select Darren McGavin. There was no more poignant role, no more heart-wrenching moment in season 2 than watching Frank and his father, two tortured souls, bridge years of misunderstanding and bitterness. The initial anger that Frank had, his acerbic, defiant posture was at long last, slowly and with great care, gently wiped away by his father's doleful words. The heartfelt sorrow that Frank's father carried for those 51 years, the emotional scars of a family torn apart by the mom's "gift", the figurine not moving from where he had put it those many years ago, at last kindled a sense of understanding in Frank that he had misjudged his father for those many years.

It still puts a lump in my throat when i watch that scene. What a performance Darren gives!!!!

Not only that, but the scene at the end where Frank sees Henry's fetch - a soul of one destined to die in the coming year, making his way to church in search of one who would be his companion...

It just all ties in so very well in this episode...the black and white, the 3 unrealized angels behind the counter of McGrain's Toy Store, the angel Simon visiting him during his daughter's play...

anyway, i have blabbed on enough, and there are just as viable reasons to pick other actors from the list, but for me its McGavin hands down...

Till the Last Change...Be Done...

fourhorsemen

post-1098-1116024201_thumb.jpg